Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (10 posts)

Are there any Physics Engines for use with XNA GS?

Last post 6/10/2011 5:40 PM by Aoris. 9 replies.
  • 1/4/2008 6:02 PM

Are there any Physics Engines for use with XNA GS?

If you require code that will run on Xbox 360 or Zune then you need a 100% managed engine.

Most of these are free, or are free wrappers around commercial products. You should look at each one and determine pricing and licensing.

If you are only targetting windows then you can use any of the commercial, or open source engines. Some have managed wrappers or you may need to roll your own

Other Lists
    XNAWiki Physics Engine list

Ziggyware Physics links

• 3/27/2009 3:01 PM In reply to

Re: Are there any Physics Engines for use with XNA GS?

I think my post got deleted. Anyway, the link to Newton is broken.
  • 3/27/2009 3:14 PM In reply to

Yeah... look above... i noted that the link is dead (I dont remove them right away becuase sometimes they do come back)..

this post will be deleted in a few minutes ;-)
  • 3/27/2009 3:43 PM In reply to

Okay thanks. Sorry, I must have missed that!

Might want to note somewhere that I couldn't get any of these in the top half of the list except Oops! to actually run. And one prompted VS to give a bunch of security warnings... :-(
  • 7/13/2009 11:44 PM In reply to

I just want to say that for 2D, Farseer is AMAZING! It took me less than 15 min to fully integrate it in my game/engine and it works like a charm. I also wonder, if I wanted to use one of the 3D ones, which shold I go for? I haven't had time to test anyone yet but JigLibX looks really good. What do you say? BTW: I couldn't write a less-than sign, is this forum interpreting html-tags? Is this a bug or feature? test
  • 4/18/2011 11:53 AM In reply to

Hello there,
       I would like to keep update this ZMan's physics engine list. After some research seem that only these physics engine are actively under development (from 2010 to 2011).

Open source
    3D Managed (Windows, Xbox 360 and Windows Phone 7):
    - BEPUphysics(now it is open source and free for commercial use);
    - Henge(it is new project);
    - Jitter.
    2D Managed (Windows, XBOX 360 and Windows Phone 7):
    - Box2D;
    - Farseer.
    3D Wrapper (Windows):
    - BulletSharp.
    Commercial
    3D Managed (Windows, XBOX 360 and Windows Phone 7):
    - Matali;
    - DigitalRun.
    Then at the moment we have 5 free and opensource physics engine BEPUphysics, Henge, Box2D, FarseerJitter 2 closed source Matali,DigitalRun  and 1 wrapper BulletSharp.
    PhysX and Havok wrapper are dead.
    Have I missed some physics engine??

iPhone, iPod, Android, Linux and MacOSX
    With mono you can develop ".NET" application for Linux and MacOSX.
    With monotouch you can develop ".NET" application for iPhone and iPod.

With monodroid you can develop ".NET" application for Android.
    With monogame you can develop "XNA" game (there are some minor change between monogame and XNA Game Studio framework) for monotouch,  monodroid and mono.

I have never tested the following physics engine in monotouch and monodroid with monogame but I suppose that each managed physics engine should works well then BEPUphysics, HengeJitter, Box2D, Farseer, MataliDigitalRun are your way.
    With mono + monogame I suppose that you can use all managed and wrappered physics engine BEPUphysics, Henge, Jitter, Box2D, Farseer, Matali, BulletSharp, DigitalRun.
  • 5/14/2011 4:11 PM In reply to

Aoris:
    Have I missed some physics engine??

If I may add: DigitalRune Physics (commercial, closed source)
    Here is also another list of physics engines (including native and managed libraries): Physics Engines List
  • 5/14/2011 5:37 PM In reply to

Hi there,
       I know that list... but many projects in that list are "deprecated" (I ma referring to "physics engines for .net and the xna framework" and ".net Wrapper for C/C++ Engines"), many are not under development any more (I ma referring in last 1 - 2 years, than they do not support XNA 4.0 and .NET 4.0... in above list, all engines are compatible with XNA 4.0 and .NET 4.0).

Cheers

P.S.
    I had missing "DigitalRun Physics Library for .NET and XNA" ops :P, now list is updated :D
  • 6/10/2011 11:12 AM In reply to

jitter is missing on the list!
  • 6/10/2011 5:40 PM In reply to

Now, jitter is in list.
Page 1 of 1 (10 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion