Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (17 posts)

Any Sunburn documentation?

Last post 2/12/2011 11:26 PM by Evolving Software. 16 replies.
  • 12/16/2010 10:30 PM

Any Sunburn documentation?

Greetings, just checking Sunburn Engine out abit.

And I'm finding something very frustrating about it, is there like no documentation or stuff? How on earth do I get
    to understand how to use it correctly? I can't find a single documentation or such than a few examples that
    doesn't give me much.

Is there any I'm missing?

Simon Jäger
  • 12/17/2010 7:42 AM In reply to

Re: Any Sunburn documentation?

Hi Simon,

You can access the SunBurn documentation in the community's Resources section or using the SunBurn Developer Hub.

The documentation includes:

-Getting Started Documentation
    -How-to Section:
       -Developer Guide
       -Editor Guide
       -Tutorials
    -API Documentation
    -And more!

The examples are a great companion to the documentation and show how a number of the covered subjects can be implemented.

Let me know if this helps!
  • 12/17/2010 2:51 PM In reply to

The docs are too vague. They read more like a sales brochure.

The combination of no source code and fluffy docs means it is a black box ... for me it is too risky to use.
  • 12/17/2010 3:20 PM In reply to

skytigercube:
    The docs are too vague. They read more like a sales brochure.
    Really? This doesn't read like a sales brochure at all.
  • 12/17/2010 3:31 PM In reply to

The API documentation, like many, is the usual generated from the code 'state the obvious' stuff.

Object.Color - sets the color

Docs like that make companies feel like they can check off 'docs' without actually hiring someone to write docs. The 1st versions of XNA were like this and Managed DirectX was legendary for it. The problem is that unless you know how it works its essentially useless.

Sunburns best docs are on their website - but again there is little that helps people learn and it covers only very small parts of the API. In general 'please look at sample XXXXX' is the best John and others can offer. I've been getting up to speed on SB for the last few weeks and its true that the docs are little help most of the time. The fastest thing to do is ask in the forums.

• 12/17/2010 4:01 PM In reply to

The ZMan:
    The fastest thing to do is ask in the forums.

I'll second this. Got Sunburn with very little experience in 3D - just what I'd read in several books/tutorials but never tried writing myself, but from the examples and the forums I'm getting the hang of it. Got a nicely lit spaceship flying around the dojo with player input, newtonian physics (imagine Asteroids in 3D!) and all within a few hours! I can relight the scene within minutes, I can add scenery, and all without touching the code. For me to be able to do that is a true testament to the power of Sunburn!

Seems the best way to learn really is to open up an example project, such as the Dojo and simply play around with it. Model a box, get it displaying via code or add objects via the editor, then the same with lights, then get a model moving, then make it respond to player input and so on.. 

Between the example projects, sunburn forum (note - you really do get replies very, very quickly!), the XNA forum here and google, you can get a simple 3D scene up and running in no-time. More advanced questions, or even beginner questions, the sunburn forum is the best place. It seems like most questions get at least a reply within a few hours of being posted.

Though I do believe that some tutorials would greatly benefit those starting out. The first few days I felt out of my league doing anything other than moving lights about in the editor..
  • 12/17/2010 4:55 PM In reply to

Even though it needs better docs its still a solid product that I would recommend everyone checks out. If you need any fancy lighting (and it will even do clever things with 2d too!) and shadows then considering how long it would take me to write that stuff myself its quite the bargain IMO.
  • 12/19/2010 12:07 PM In reply to

The ZMan:
    Even though it needs better docs its still a solid product that I would recommend everyone checks out. If you need any fancy lighting (and it will even do clever things with 2d too!) and shadows then considering how long it would take me to write that stuff myself its quite the bargain IMO.

Seconded!

For me at least, once you start messing with the various samples it's pretty simple to figure out how most things work. The other things are either already in the docs or can be found by searching their forums... and if you still need help John is amazingly quick about answering questions.
  • 12/19/2010 1:29 PM In reply to

Thanks alot people!

I will absolutely return if I get stuck in any problem here. But hopefully all this should
    guide me through! 

Thanks!
  • 12/20/2010 3:52 PM In reply to

Although SunBurn does provide some good samples to help you start tinkering, it really does suffer from a lack of up-to-date tutorials. The one's I've seen so far are from 1.x.x - which helps, but sometimes will actually lead you in the wrong direction (some RenderManager methods have been moved to SceneInteraction, etc). I can't wait to get some great tutorials and updated templates, I bought the Pro edition and would love to see what sort of results I can get with this software once I figure it out. :)
  • 12/21/2010 8:51 PM In reply to

Hi Viper,

I checked the tutorials today and they appear to be compatible with SunBurn 2.0.  The only tutorials I noticed that were not are the 3rd party tutorials on other sites (Nick's and Pete's), but these are still excellent to read and review so we've kept the links active.

Let me know if this helps, and please feel free to post any doc / tutorial issues in the SunBurn bug report forum, we'll add those reports to our bug tracker and get it straightened out right away - thanks!
  • 12/22/2010 1:00 AM In reply to

Oh yes, the 3rd party tutorials were indeed helpful even if outdated, I read those right away once I'd made the purchase. The issue that I found was that while you have several documents explaining what the framework can do, there weren't really any explaining a "Getting Started with SunBurn 2.0" in the same way those 3rd party tutorials did. I was a little confused when I went to http://www.synapsegaming.com/wikis/getting_started_documentation/getting-started.aspx and there wasn't anything that necessarily pointed me in the right direction to getting a new SunBurn project up and running (what references to make, using's, basic classes to instantiate with the how/why, etc). I ended up running all over the website for tidbits of how to get things moving (API doc, random parts of the wiki, forums), when one would hope there was a good solid starting point for devs in a central location. Once the new templates are finished I think that'll help relieve some of it, however nothing can make up for a good code-along tutorial. Believe me, I'm not trying to harp on you guys, I think you've put together an amazing product for a very fair price; I'm just trying to help you see things from a newbie's perspective. :)

[EDIT] something like this would be extremely helpful: http://code.google.com/p/lidgren-network/wiki/Quickstart
  • 12/24/2010 4:53 AM In reply to

Hi Viper,

We've released the new SunBurn 2.0 starter kits (please see my latest blog post for details).  The kits are an excellent starting point for new projects, and demonstrate the base requirements to get SunBurn up and running in an existing project.

ViperProject:
    I'm just trying to help you see things from a newbie's perspective

No worries, we appreciate the feedback! :)  And please feel free to post a thread on the SG forums detailing your experience, this helps us improve our educational material.

Let me know if this helps!
  • 1/16/2011 11:50 PM In reply to

Synapse Gaming LLC:
    Hi Viper,

I checked the tutorials today and they appear to be compatible with SunBurn 2.0.  The only tutorials I noticed that were not are the 3rd party tutorials on other sites (Nick's and Pete's), but these are still excellent to read and review so we've kept the links active.

Let me know if this helps, and please feel free to post any doc / tutorial issues in the SunBurn bug report forum, we'll add those reports to our bug tracker and get it straightened out right away - thanks!

Can someone please post a link to these 3rd party tutorials I can't seem to find them.

Many Thanks.

• 1/17/2011 9:52 AM In reply to

AlienMP:
    Can someone please post a link to these 3rd party tutorials I can't seem to find them.

Many Thanks.

Nick Gravelyn's "Getting Started with SunBurn" series is here (Pt.1, Pt.2, Pt.3) in addition to an example of how to integrate JigLibX (a physics engine) with Sunburn here and an example of how to implement split-screen in SunBurn here.

Ultrahead's (Pete) SunBurn tutorials are here (Pt.1,Pt.2).

As mentioned by earlier posters, while these articles are an absolutely fantastic resource, they were written prior to the latest releases of XNA and SunBurn and might not work if you're using a different version of the tools to those at the time the articles were written.

Hope that helps,
    ~Richard Williams
  • 1/22/2011 5:43 AM In reply to

Developmental Games:
    an example of how to integrate JigLibX (a physics engine) with Sunburn here
    Also, a tutorial for the new version of Sunburn and the successor of JigLibX (now becoming obsolete) can be found here.  The Jitter Physics engine can be downloaded here.

Good luck!
  • 2/12/2011 11:26 PM In reply to

I've created and posted the missing Getting Started with the SunBurn Editor tutorial :-)

You can find it here:

I do concur with the comment about documentation, in fact because I couldn't find something like this which described how easy it is to actually get started with SunBurn i delayed buying it for ages because I never thought I would have the time and didn't know if I would be able to handle the (assumed) complexity.

Personally being able to see something like this helps me make my purchasing decision.

I've also posted a guide to getting started with Blender and exporting the model for use with SunBurn - albeit more of a Blender Tutorial than SunBurn

Hope other people can find it useful.

~DSebJ
Page 1 of 1 (17 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion