With the launch of the next Xbox dashboard update will come a slight change to the proportions of the Avatars. These changes were made to allow better mapping between players with using Kinect to control their avatars. Existing avatar clothing and other assets have been updated to work properly with these new proportions.
How does this affect XNA Game Studio 3.1 games?
How does this affect XNA Game Studio 4.0 games during the Beta of Xbox 360 functionality for XNA Game Studio 4.0?
- Avatars will continue to have the legacy proportions.
- They will look and function as they currently do with no changes required by developers.
- New avatar items from the marketplace such as a new shirt may only be available in the new proportion. In this case the items may appear somewhat stretched or distorted when displayed on the legacy avatar in your game.
During the Beta of Xbox 360 functionality for XNA Game Studio 4.0, avatars will continue to use the legacy avatar proportions and all of the rules that apply to 3.1 games above is also true for the Beta.
How will this affect XNA Game Studio 4.0 games when Xbox 360 functionality is final?
The final release of the Xbox 360 functionality for XNA Game Studio 4.0 will use the new avatar proportions. While the API will continue to be the same there are some differences with the behavior of the APIs:
- The bind pose transforms for some of the avatars bones will have different values.
- The animation transforms for some bones will have different values.
A new version of the avatar animation rig will be provided to create custom animations:
- Existing custom animations using the legacy rigs will need to be recreated or mapped to the new rig skeleton.
- We are currently working on the new rig and it will be available later in the Beta of Xbox 360 functionality for XNA Game Studio 4.0.