Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (12 posts)

Update to avatar proportions in XNA Game Studio 4.0

Last post 12/7/2010 12:37 AM by Bounding Box Games. 11 replies.
  • 9/28/2010 11:19 PM

Update to avatar proportions in XNA Game Studio 4.0

With the launch of the next Xbox dashboard update will come a slight change to the proportions of the Avatars. These changes were made to allow better mapping between players with using Kinect to control their avatars. Existing avatar clothing and other assets have been updated to work properly with these new proportions.

How does this affect XNA Game Studio 3.1 games?

• Avatars will continue to have the legacy proportions.
    • They will look and function as they currently do with no changes required by developers.
    • New avatar items from the marketplace such as a new shirt may only be available in the new proportion. In this case the items may appear somewhat stretched or distorted when displayed on the legacy avatar in your game.
    How does this affect XNA Game Studio 4.0 games during the Beta of Xbox 360 functionality for XNA Game Studio 4.0?
    During the Beta of Xbox 360 functionality for XNA Game Studio 4.0, avatars will continue to use the legacy avatar proportions and all of the rules that apply to 3.1 games above is also true for the Beta.

How will this affect XNA Game Studio 4.0 games when Xbox 360 functionality is final?
    The final release of the Xbox 360 functionality for XNA Game Studio 4.0 will use the new avatar proportions. While the API will continue to be the same there are some differences with the behavior of the APIs:
    • The bind pose transforms for some of the avatars bones will have different values.
    • The animation transforms for some bones will have different values.
    A new version of the avatar animation rig will be provided to create custom animations:
    • Existing custom animations using the legacy rigs will need to be recreated or mapped to the new rig skeleton.
    • We are currently working on the new rig and it will be available later in the Beta of Xbox 360 functionality for XNA Game Studio 4.0.
  • 9/28/2010 11:53 PM In reply to

Re: Update to avatar proportions in XNA Game Studio 4.0

Can I re-release my game Avatar {word} as Skinny Avatar {word}?
    The new avatar dimensions are designed to assist with Kinect titles, not so that you can game the new releases list and waste community time with pointless arguments.

Will there be a Avatar.Zombify() API?

We understand that developers are looking for ways to produce the next IMAGWZII rip off with minimal effort, however the Zombify API was in fact a very very late april fools joke from the team and will not be in the final product

I'm writing a new avatar massager - what can I do to ensure consumers find my avatars alluring?
    While Microsoft respects your right to degrade the XBLIG platform with pointless shovelware consumer surveys have shown the new skinny Avatars to be 4.7% less sexy than the old chunky ones. Please write a proper game.

[This satirical service provide by The Zman and does NOT represent Microsofts opinion in any way and is supposed to be funny]
  • 9/29/2010 12:21 AM In reply to

Skinny Avatar {word} doesn't start with 'A', so it won't appear at the top of the By Title lists. But just you wait. Legions of Avatar developers are now racing to their keyboards to build the first Anorexic Avatar {word} game. Thanks! :P
  • 9/29/2010 12:56 PM In reply to

The ZMan:

I'm writing a new avatar massager - what can I do to ensure consumers find my avatars alluring?
    While Microsoft respects your right to degrade the XBLIG platform with pointless shovelware consumer surveys have shown the new skinny Avatars to be 4.7% less sexy than the old chunky ones. Please write a proper game.

Here here! And that inlcudes "games" to tell me thew so-called speed of my HDD.....
  • 9/29/2010 2:17 PM In reply to

In an attempt to not start a war, I'll try and head away from the rocks.

Will the raw binary avatar descriptions (i.e. byte[]) translate directly to 4.0?
  • 9/29/2010 2:49 PM In reply to

I guess I can target xna 4.0 for my next game since they are near finalizing it for the 360. I don't mind the changes, but the women with a little extra meat looked good. Though the men with curvy hips scared me. I had dreams. Awful dreams.
  • 9/30/2010 9:55 AM In reply to

Is there a release date for 4.0 going live/final?
  • 10/7/2010 4:36 AM In reply to

Charles Cox:
    We are currently working on the new rig and it will be available later in the Beta of Xbox 360 functionality for XNA Game Studio 4.0.

If you can please provide a rig that works with the full version of Softimage that would be very helpful.

Also, if possible, please clear up the licensing questions people have about extending & improving the rigs and sharing any improvements with the community. Thanks in advance,

Eric Cosky
  • 10/12/2010 7:24 PM In reply to

dadoo Games:
    Will the raw binary avatar descriptions (i.e. byte[]) translate directly to 4.0?

Any chance of getting this answered? I don't have a machine with 4.0 installed at the moment and would like to know if binary descriptions generated with 3.1 will load properly in 4.0, ignoring scaling and prop issues.
  • 10/12/2010 9:32 PM In reply to

dadoo Games:
    dadoo Games:

Any chance of getting this answered? I don't have a machine with 4.0 installed at the moment and would like to know if binary descriptions generated with 3.1 will load properly in 4.0, ignoring scaling and prop issues.
    Yes, the raw byte data from 3.1 to 4.0 should work just fine.
  • 10/13/2010 1:00 AM In reply to

Thanks for the clarification!
  • 12/7/2010 12:37 AM In reply to

I'm glad new rigs are out, but I'm disappointed to see no rig for the full version of Softimage. I had my hopes up. Perhaps this will be addressed someday.

I started a thread over in the mod tool forum to talk about this oversight in case it helps get things moving.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 1 (12 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion