Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 3 (65 posts) 1 2 3 Next >

FREE MSDN Subscription to someone deserving in the community

Last post 8/28/2010 3:47 AM by Bob Taco Industries. 64 replies.
  • 7/1/2010 10:24 PM

FREE MSDN Subscription to someone deserving in the community

Microsoft sent me some codes for MSDN subscriptions and I have one left to give away. This is a full 12 months VS2010 ultimate worth $12k! See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/subscriptionschart.aspx

I figured I would give it so someone in the XNA community who puts in a lot of effort to make the community and the platform better.

So here's my rules (and its my code so my rules):

* Nominate someone besides yourself and tell me why - either in this forums because its nice to see positive stuff or in email (zman@thezbuffer.com) because you are shy.
    * No MVPs need be nominated even though we all deserve it - we already get MSDN subscriptions
    * I want to see the best of the best here... If you've released a shovelware game, you only review for kickbacks, you prefer ebay reviews, you argue in the forums then dont expect to make the cut
    * They don't have to be active in these forums - they just have to be good for the XNA community.

This isn't a vote/popularity competition - I will make the choice based on my years of being around these forums... I already have some ideas but I wanted to make sure I'm not forgetting anyone.

I'll choose someone next week sometime so those in the US have the holiday weekend to think about it.

[Edit]
    Yes you can nominate as many people as you like. If it turns out you are buddies, someone asked you to nominate them or something just plain wrong and I find out well then you are all on the sh*t list...

[Edit2]
    Given the value of this I need to feel good about the person who gets it. If they are the sort of person who will turn around and sell it, or the software it contains, on ebay then please don't nominate them.
  • 7/1/2010 10:52 PM In reply to

Re: FREE MSDN Subscription to someone deserving in the community

Off the top of my head, Sigil.

He has exactly 1337 posts as I write this, and 1337 is a good description of most of his posts. He actually reads what he is replying to, unlike a good 75% of the posters here, and he gives the best objective answers. We need 10 more posters like Sigil.
  • 7/1/2010 11:17 PM In reply to

I feel like I could nominate a good handful of people for this, but for the sake of brevity I'll just name the guys that I feel shine the brightest in our community right now:

• Bob Taco Ind:  A little verbose at times (!), but is always quick with a helping hand to those that ask for it.  I see his list being used to help bring some organization to the ever-more-detailed review process which is a great thing.  He's been nothing but a positive influence since I've seen him begin posting.
    • UberGeekGames, Kris Steele, and DrMistry:  I'm lumping these guys together because they represent to me what a classy member of the XNA/XBLIG community should be like.  Helpful when needed, vocal and opinionated when it's vital, and doing their best to release quality games that continue to improve with each new release.  They may not intend to be, but I think they are definitely role models within the service.

• 7/2/2010 12:40 AM In reply to

I'll second the nominations for Bob Taco Ind and UberGeekGames.
  • 7/2/2010 12:59 AM In reply to

I can support the nomination of one Bob Taco Ind (why did I red the Ind as Inc before now?) only under the condition of him posting Twitter sized replies for one month. Sigil, UberGeekGames, Kris Steele, and DrMistry get my unconditional support :)

My own suggestions could be called to be made out of bias so I keep them undisclosed - one of the two might not need it anyway…
  • 7/2/2010 1:10 AM In reply to

The ZMan:
    Microsoft sent me some codes for MSDN subscriptions...

*drool*

Ahem, anyway, I'll throw Noogy's name out there. He's all over the place and always gives helpful feedback.
  • 7/2/2010 2:19 AM In reply to

Wow, thanks guys.  With all due respect, though, I'd like to un-nominate myself.  First off, I'd rather it go to UberGeekGames or Bob Taco Ind, who of course have already been nominated.  There isn't anyone out there that I'm aware of who contributes more to the playtest/review process than those two.  Secondly, I don't think I qualify for ZMan's rules, because I have been known to get involved in the occasional forum argument ;)  Lastly, on a practical note, I already have a full MSDN subscription through my job, so it wouldn't do me any good anyway.  Thanks for the kind words though.
  • 7/2/2010 2:35 AM In reply to

I'm most certainly honored. And would be delighted to be chosen, though I'd like to third, fourth, fifth, etc., the nominations of UberGeek, Kris, DrMistry, and Noogy, and also to commend Spyn Doctor to your consideration as well. (I'd also have gladly supported Sigil but for the unnomination :) ).
  • 7/2/2010 3:40 AM In reply to

Doesn't it feel good to say nice things about people....

• 7/2/2010 3:56 AM In reply to

Thanks much for the kind words. The MSDN subscription would be cool but the kind words are equally cool.

A few other names that may have not been mentioned that deserve some consideration for their contributions to the community, to the marketplace, for many games playtested, and a few other reasons:

Fabian Viking
    QuimbyRBG
    Jamezila
    deadpxlsociety
    VoodooChief

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. Feel free to yell at me if that's you.
  • 7/2/2010 5:11 AM In reply to

I'm gonna say Kris Steele because as well as him talking an active part in the community the help that he has given me has been invaluable.

Also UberGeek as that guy doesn't seem to sleep and is always helping out someone on the forums.

Mark
  • 7/2/2010 6:21 AM In reply to

This reminds me of my time in the music publishing business here in Nashville. Meaning, if you can drop enough names, you might get published. Just kidding.

I feel like I'm rowing the same boat as Bob Taco and second his nominations. I would include his name as well. I know none of these guys personally, but have found help from many of their posts. I wish all of you luck!
  • 7/2/2010 7:13 AM In reply to

This is a great idea! My vote would be for UberGeekGames.

However all the names mentioned are great for the XNA community and all deserving of "the prize"!
  • 7/2/2010 10:58 AM In reply to

I nominate Kris Steele, Spyn Doctor, Dr Mistry, Noogy and UberGeekGames. These guys in my eyes help make the indie games service not look like it's full of shovelware. They are always helping to boost the quality of the service with each of their releases and also provide helpful feedback within the forums.
  • 7/2/2010 11:16 AM In reply to

Nick Gravelyn and UberGeekGames gets my vote.

Slightly sad no one put my name forward :(
  • 7/2/2010 11:18 AM In reply to

Seems that I'm a little late to this thread, so everyone I thought of has already been nominated (multiple times usually). And since ZMan wrote that it's not a popularity contest, I don't think it's necessary to repeat the usual suspects again. :-)
    But I wanted to post anyway, to show my support for this great initiative. Way to go!

Doc
  • 7/2/2010 1:41 PM In reply to

I think the most active (and helpful) members of the forum that I've seen are:

Eckish
    Sigil
    Bob Taco Ind
    Kris Steele

all these people provide fast and verbose responses to questions

• 7/2/2010 5:09 PM In reply to

Thanks for all of the nominations guys, I'm flattered. :)

I'll second Bob Taco Ind, Kris Steele, DrMisty and Spyn Doctor - they're all great devs who genuinely care about the platform and the community. [edit]: And to suggest someone that hasn't been mentioned, Craig Martin has spent a lot of time on the forums answering questions.
  • 7/4/2010 4:24 PM In reply to

This may be my favorite thread on the forums. I keep coming back here just to read through all it's positivity and smile :)  All my forum favorites have been listed already, you guys rock!
  • 7/4/2010 5:08 PM In reply to

It is a nice thread, isn't it? I think I'd rather it be kept a secret who gets it - I haven't seen a single nomination I'd consider undeserving.

Excluding myself, of course. Some days I think I could be an MVP; other days I think all I merit is a half-filled bucket of chum. :)
  • 7/5/2010 12:03 AM In reply to

I know what you mean Bob. I was at Remix 2010 in Melbourne when Luke Drumm mentioned during his session that there were only 2 XNA MVP's in Australia, and he was one of them. We need more MVP's down here!
  • 7/5/2010 12:48 AM In reply to

I'd like to nominate UberGeek because of all of the aforementioned reasons, as well as Spyn Doctor, because he helped me out of a jam when I was even more of a noob than I am now :P

EDIT: Also, In3rtia is underrated ;)
  • 7/5/2010 8:32 AM In reply to

Bob Taco Ind:
    Excluding myself, of course. Some days I think I could be an MVP; other days I think all I merit is a half-filled bucket of chum. :)

Just write a book: it shouldn’t be hard for you to fill them pages and you could even use Fraktur for the headlines! :)
  • 7/5/2010 3:39 PM In reply to

Pete Street:
     Also, In3rtia is underrated ;)

I've been on vacation and away from internet for a while, but just checked this and that made me smile - thanks :)
  • 7/16/2010 2:33 AM In reply to

So.... bump?
Page 1 of 3 (65 posts) 1 2 3 Next > Previous Discussion Next Discussion
var gDomain='m.webtrends.com'; var gDcsId='dcschd84w10000w4lw9hcqmsz_8n3x'; var gTrackEvents=1; var gFpc='WT_FPC'; /*<\/scr"+"ipt>");} /*]]>*/
DCSIMG