Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 2 of 3 (61 posts) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

XNA Sales Vizu

Last post 10/30/2013 3:25 PM by Maximinus. 60 replies.
  • 6/28/2010 8:24 PM In reply to

Re: XNA Sales Vizu

That being said, 30/60 seconds after any button press is awful. There's something you can do that can improve the wait time : change the default settings so that you don't have to press any button to see your preferred view.

For example, the default settings are
    - Time frame : all
    - Data type : sales units with trials
    - Currency $

My preferred settings are
    - Time frame : current Quarter
    - Data type : sales value
    - Currency €

You can change the default settings by editing the script file, starting at line 1565. To have my settings, you would use these values :

self.UIDataFormat = FORMAT_VALUE
            self.UIValue = VALUE_EUROS
            self.UITimeFrame = TIMEFRAME_TRIMESTER

Bye
  • 6/29/2010 1:15 PM In reply to

I'll try that, tho I have just managed to crash it:

Loading  . . . . . . .  7 file(s)
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "\Sales\xna_sales_vizu.py", line 2258, in <module>
        UI()
      File "\Sales\xna_sales_vizu.py", line 2186, in __init__
        (self.ax, self.ax2, self.totalline, self.totalline2, (self.legends1, self.legends2)) = UpdatePlots(self.UIDataFormat, self.UITrials, self.UIValue, self.UICumul, self.UISmooth, self.UISales, self.UIConvRate)
      File "\Sales\xna_sales_vizu.py", line 352, in UpdatePlots
        if ( UIGamesEnabled[gameindex] ):
    IndexError: list index out of range

Edit : this MIGHT be related to 3 of the games being saved from the GB business page and 4 of them from the UK business page. It seems to be working now, and the defaults are awesome.

I had a quick look at Python2Exe, but all I managed to do was to make an exe that says 'Cannot find Cairo'

I suggested Egypt, but to no avail.
  • 6/29/2010 1:42 PM In reply to

Yeah, locale support is not bullet proof. You can choose either US or GB locale at line 43, but you can't mix them. It's good to hear you could hard code your preferred settings. For python2exe : this program should know better, Cairo is a big city. Anyway, I'll look into the dependency problem.
  • 7/13/2010 1:09 PM In reply to

Thanks for this, runs great.  I will admit that the prerequisites are a bit much at the beginning but the alternative is creating something similar from scratch.  Thanks so much!

-ssteele00
  • 7/13/2010 6:42 PM In reply to

Thanks for your support ssteele00.
  • 11/4/2010 10:47 AM In reply to

Any news on making this into an .exe ? It takes forever to install all the necessary requisites :(
  • 11/4/2010 11:18 AM In reply to

Hello ProjectorGames,

I've tried to compile the python script into an exe, but could not manage it. I couldn't resolve some dependency problems. This python2exe software is unimpressive.

You were the user who reported performance problems back in June, weren't you? Does it still run too slow? It is a bit surprising, since I don't have any performance issue on my machine. My sales data is for 10 months / 3 games, totalling 6,000 lines in all the csv files. My computer cpu is Core2 Duo @ 2.8 ghz. The initial software launch time is 4 seconds. Switching between "sales units" and "sales value" takes less than 1 second. If you still have performance issues, could you tell me how old your computer is, please?

Now for your current problem "takes forever to install all the requisites", I don't have any solution, sorry about that.

Have a good day,

PS : I'll ask one of my buddies who is my python expert if he has any idea about this python2exe thingy

• 11/4/2010 11:30 AM In reply to

Maximinus:
    Hello ProjectorGames,

I've tried to compile the python script into an exe, but could not manage it. I couldn't resolve some dependency problems. This python2exe software is unimpressive.

You were the user who reported performance problems back in June, weren't you? Does it still run too slow? It is a bit surprising, since I don't have any performance issue on my machine. My sales data is for 10 months / 3 games, totalling 6,000 lines in all the csv files. My computer cpu is Core2 Duo @ 2.8 ghz. The initial software launch time is 4 seconds. Switching between "sales units" and "sales value" takes less than 1 second. If you still have performance issues, could you tell me how old your computer is, please?

Now for your current problem "takes forever to install all the requisites", I don't have any solution, sorry about that.

Have a good day,

PS : I'll ask one of my buddies who is my python expert if he has any idea about this python2exe thingy

I'd let you know how it was running on this PC, but I seem entirely unable to get the files you linked to work under Windows 7 :(

I get this very unhelpful error on trying to install cairo, pygobject and pygtk :

close failed in file object destructor:
    Error in sys.excepthook:

Original exception was:

(ofc I ran it as administrator)

The GTK and Python X,Y installed fine - so when I try and run the sales stuff, it just bombs saying it can't find the goobject stuff... blah...

*mutters darkly*

EDIT : It appears that running it in XP Service Pack 2 compatability mode fixes it!
  • 11/4/2010 11:41 AM In reply to

Just saw your edit as I was typing this answer. Great if it works in compatibility mode. With my setup (also windows 7), it works without the compatibility mode. So, is it running at a reasonable speed with your PC now?
  • 11/4/2010 11:46 AM In reply to

Unfortunately not:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "D:\Personal\Sales\xna_sales_vizu.py", line 12, in <module>
        import gtk
      File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\gtk-2.0\gtk\__init__.py", line 30, in <mod
    ule>
        import gobject as _gobject
      File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\gtk-2.0\gobject\__init__.py", line 26, in
    <module>
        from glib import spawn_async, idle_add, timeout_add, timeout_add_seconds, \
      File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\gtk-2.0\glib\__init__.py", line 22, in <mo
    dule>
        from glib._glib import *
    ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.

I've installed all 5 things you listed (all in compat mode, and all as administrator), so I've not much idea now :(
  • 11/4/2010 3:39 PM In reply to

I've tried again to compile into an exe with py2exe, but ran into the same problem I found previously. It looks like there is a problem with this software, it can't copy the matplotlib data files.

As regards your problem with the python script version, it looks like the dependencies are not installed / not found / not configured properly / whatever. I don't know why it would not install with your computer. It worked with your previous computer, and now you can't install the libraries, whereas it worked with your previous computer ?
  • 11/4/2010 3:52 PM In reply to

Maximinus:
    I've tried again to compile into an exe with py2exe, but ran into the same problem I found previously. It looks like there is a problem with this software, it can't copy the matplotlib data files.

As regards your problem with the python script version, it looks like the dependencies are not installed / not found / not configured properly / whatever. I don't know why it would not install with your computer. It worked with your previous computer, and now you can't install the libraries, whereas it worked with your previous computer ?

Yup, that's pretty much the sum of it. I don't ever use Python, so I don't have any of these things installed. I could try it on my laptop tonight at home tho.
  • 1/18/2011 12:47 PM In reply to

Hello, very nice work !

Can you create a new option for see the sales / trial by country ?

I think it will be a very good thing ^^

Thanks !
  • 1/18/2011 1:14 PM In reply to

Bonjour Imagine R,

Thanks for the nice comments and feedback.

Indeed, the numbers by country are not computed, however, are you aware that the percentages by country are displayed? (for sale numbers, trial numbers and value). With the total number, and the country percentage, you can easily compute by yourself the actual numbers by country. Of course, it would be nice to have it automatically computed.

I'm thinking about porting this software to the xna framework, for 2 reasons : with many csv files, the computing is slow even on my development computer, and the whole python/gtk framework is not easily available on the windows platform. If I ever do this, I will program your suggestion to have sale numbers by country.

Have a good day,
  • 1/18/2011 1:25 PM In reply to

Yes, very good Idea ^^

( And Thank for the " Bonjour " in French ! :D )

I'm working on your script to create the " by country sale number " with word pad, and it work !
  • 1/18/2011 1:51 PM In reply to

Great. Would you agree to share it with us?
  • 1/18/2011 2:23 PM In reply to

Yes, no problem, but when my programme will be absolutly good ^^

PS : how do you do to create a link in your signature ? ( Tool : Xna Sales Vizu << this ?? )
  • 1/18/2011 3:28 PM In reply to

Imagine R:
    when my programme will be absolutly good

Of course, take your time. Where do you intend to display it? In the pie chart with the country share? Alongside each country name?

Imagine R:
    how do you do to create a link in your signature ?

I've also searched for this info a long time :) . We used to be able to use direct html code in the sigs, now we must use this syntax :

Tool : [U__R__L="http://xboxforums.create.msdn.com/forums/p/52446/318189.aspx"]Xna Sales Vizu[/U__R__L]

Replace "U__R__L" by "url".
  • 1/18/2011 3:43 PM In reply to

I have create a new button in the pie chart,  with a pie chart of sale by country.
    after, I will create the same pie chart with the trial versions.
  • 6/27/2011 8:43 AM In reply to

Great tool. Very nice layout of all the data.
    It's not too hard to install really. If you follow the instructions it's easy. How hard is it to install 5 files in a row ? :)

I understand you have no reason to keep developing this (rather do games probably), but if you ever do, having the ability to scale the graphs in X and Y to see a particular portion of data would be great.

Thanks again for sharing this with the community.

• 6/27/2011 9:53 AM In reply to

Thanks, I'm glad you find it useful.

As regards scaling the graphs in X and Y : it is kinda possible. The TimeScale buttons allow to scale the graph on the X scale. There are a couple of periods that it's aware of : weeks, months, quarters, ... Scaling on the Y axis is not possible, and it would be useful sometimes, mainly when the 1st few weeks of a game are so much more higher than the following days.

Finally, this software becomes very slow if you feed it too much data. With my computer, it became slow after it displayed more than 4 games, or more than 12 months, something like that. Maybe I'll rewrite it with another framework to get rid of these performance issues.

Bye (and good luck with your games :) )
  • 8/5/2011 4:13 AM In reply to

Thanks for this tool.  It works and looks great!  I hadn't seen it before and only found it through your post in my review thread.

One thing that I would like to mention, though, is that if anyone has any other software that uses python installed, you may have to uninstall it to get this to work correctly.  In particular, I had LilyPond installed (which also installs its own python and other stuff) and when I opened this tool, all of the text just appeared as squares until I uninstalled LilyPond.  I have others that also use Python (like Blender) that do not affect it, though.
  • 8/5/2011 1:10 PM In reply to

Thanks for the nice words.

LoneWolf Studios:
    if anyone has any other software that uses python installed (...) all of the text just appeared as squares until I uninstalled LilyPond.

Dll hell. I have no idea how to tell windows programs to use a specific dll. I also don't know how to build an installer that would take care of the dependecies. If I find the time to rewrite this software on top of other libraries, I would probably choose OpenGL.

There's another Xna dev that's working on a port. He used C#, .Net, WinForms and ZedGraph library.
  • 9/29/2011 9:56 AM In reply to

I've done.
    There also the chance to use the current currency conversion rate, but it will require a connection to this server to get the lastest currency rate: http://www.webservicex.net/CurrencyConvertor.asmx

Here the WinForm version: Here
    Here the SourceCode: Here
    Here for infos: Here

thanks to Maximinus for his work :)
  • 3/10/2012 1:50 AM In reply to

Hi Maximinus,

Not sure if you check this thread often, but I was wondering if you had a chance to try out my XBLIG Sales Data Analyzer. I have been constantly adding new features, and will release a more personalized mySDA soon.

I also have a "Featured" section for devs who wish to share their stats, so let me know if you are interested in sharing your stats through on my site. All featured devs get first preference in setting up their mySDA accounts when it's ready.

Look forward to your feedback, since you have a lot of experience with your Vizu tool. :-)

Regards,
    ~OnekSoft Games
Page 2 of 3 (61 posts) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > Previous Discussion Next Discussion