Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 52 of 53 (1315 posts) « First ... < Previous 49 50 51 52 53 Next >

Can we do better with our Cover art?

Last post 12/21/2014 8:58 AM by Ernest Soler. 1314 replies.
  • 12/24/2012 4:15 PM In reply to

Re: Can we do better with our Cover art?

hi

I am not a critic, but I am a fresh viewer so maybe I can give some insights from a different point of view

About Dust, I love the game, but i found some small things about that cover, the thing that bothers me is the person on the floor, seems that no legs or body was cut in half, the cape seems to big and falling through somewhere, not quite sure but that's my impression, i would put the cape going around a little bit like Batman cape so it covers a little bit more but expose Dust body a little bit more at the same time for more dramatic view, the sword maybe i will turn it to the other side so the mascot can be close and see the body closer, not sure but that will give a more dramatic view, but is about preferences, still like it, but the cape bothers me more...

about Tank negotiator, hmm the tank doesn't looks like a tank, and doesn't tell me much about it, well it doesn't actually have to tell me much about it, but i will expose the tank more with less dark areas unless is a very dark game or something like Tron, otherwise is looks like a flat black area, personally I don't like 3d renderings in box arts like that, since you will be competing in the mind of many people with AAA titles, so i would rather do something a little bit different.

About the lat one, Kube Ball, looks like is a fun game, comic type, i will adjust the thunder shape more spiky, to more strength is visible, your art style probably should be closer to Castle Crashers style, like this image. fire looks fine, but if I am you i will clean up the lines a little bit more on the pink shield and orange ball, what looks nice is non straight lines but having lines with small non aligned parts looks cheap. Check the CC image and you will see what i mean, not super difficult to achieve that in your image. Also, smoke can look better if you try something like this too, super simple and better looking, and for more impact i may change the background color from gradient of blue, to some gradient of red in the bottom left and maybe to light blue to the top right, so the explosion can have some move visible effect

Sorry for my long post, but I will post my box soon and I would like to get lot of feedback too :)
  • 1/25/2013 2:19 PM In reply to

I have not been active in this thread but it seems to now be a cover critic and theory thread, so i'm going to upload our cover for some critic.  I feel it may be too detailed for a 584x700.

• 1/26/2013 11:23 AM In reply to

BigRookGames, you're right, it's going to be hard to read shrunk down. The illustration is well done, but there's not enough contrast between the elements to help any part stand out. A good way to test this is to drop it down to grayscale, and you'll see that everything sort of blends together. Another good test is to either blur your eyes, or take off your glasses if you wear them. You should still be able to make out a pleasing composition.

I would probably add some sort of rim or backlighting on the main characters and foreground, and crop in a bit. Your choice of font, color and size are also working against you. For example, "Hellfire" is the same color as the background behind it, and "Undead Empire" is so thin that it's hard to read at a glance even at this scale. Again, some sort of white outline or rim lighting might help that stand out (look at how much your company logo stands out, white on black, nice and simple.)

It'll take some shifting of elements and adjustment on color/contrast, but you've got a good start on a cover image.
  • 1/26/2013 11:54 AM In reply to

Submitted for your opinion. Its probably the best cover art I have had for my games, the artist name is Andy and the characters in the game are based off his concept art with his approval.

Right-click and select 'Set Image Properties'
  • 1/27/2013 12:28 AM In reply to

I like it.

The idea of aliens vs roman is really intriguing concept wise aswell.

The only problem is i'm assuming this is kindof a 3D shooter and there's no guns on the cover or any indications that it is a 3D game either, so it might affect your download count a bit.

• 1/28/2013 5:48 PM In reply to

Noogy:
    BigRookGames, you're right, it's going to be hard to read shrunk down. The illustration is well done, but there's not enough contrast between the elements to help any part stand out. A good way to test this is to drop it down to grayscale, and you'll see that everything sort of blends together. Another good test is to either blur your eyes, or take off your glasses if you wear them. You should still be able to make out a pleasing composition.

I would probably add some sort of rim or backlighting on the main characters and foreground, and crop in a bit. Your choice of font, color and size are also working against you. For example, "Hellfire" is the same color as the background behind it, and "Undead Empire" is so thin that it's hard to read at a glance even at this scale. Again, some sort of white outline or rim lighting might help that stand out (look at how much your company logo stands out, white on black, nice and simple.)

It'll take some shifting of elements and adjustment on color/contrast, but you've got a good start on a cover image.

Thanks for all the input, this helps a ton!  I will try the methods you mentioned. 

-Jake

• 1/30/2013 7:21 AM In reply to

BigRookGames:
    Thanks for all the input, this helps a ton!  I will try the methods you mentioned. 

-Jake

Take a good look at the DOOM cover, a quick search on Google willl bring it up. And look at a small thumbnail version of it. Dark character against bright background makes it really easy to see.

Edit: Better yet, I just came across this image for Project Eternity. Great example of backlighting to make the characters stand out: http://media.obsidian.net/eternity/media/wallpapers/wallpaper001/wallpaper001-1280x1024.jpg
  • 1/30/2013 2:23 PM In reply to

This is the cover art for my upcoming release Bad Caterpillar. I'll be releasing it first to XBLIG in Febuary and then start working porting it to iOS.
  • 1/30/2013 2:40 PM In reply to

Kris that looks awesome! It is just like one of those game covers from that era - maybe ask the artist to create the logo too. It is a little small and boring, not fitting the style of the awesome artwork.

@SickKreation ... just wow :)
  • 1/30/2013 3:01 PM In reply to

indienerds:
    Kris that looks awesome! It is just like one of those game covers from that era - maybe ask the artist to create the logo too. It is a little small and boring, not fitting the style of the awesome artwork.

I've got a higher res version of this which will have a bigger logo. I'll play with bringing that logo into the box art and find a scale it looks good at. Glad you like it!
  • 2/1/2013 7:24 AM In reply to

Fun Infused Games:
    indienerds:

I've got a higher res version of this which will have a bigger logo. I'll play with bringing that logo into the box art and find a scale it looks good at. Glad you like it!

That does look cool, Kris. Since the title is so long, have you considered running it vertically down the left side? Sideways, of course?
  • 2/5/2013 7:02 AM In reply to

Here's sideways... How's that look?

And normal for comparison...

• 2/5/2013 1:21 PM In reply to

with that font it is just too hard to read - I wouldn't go that road! Caterpillar is a hard enough word for non-native-english-speakers ;)
  • 2/5/2013 3:03 PM In reply to

Have you tried increasing the size of the font and placing title along bottom ?
  • 2/5/2013 6:16 PM In reply to

it's pretty good as-is, but i'd try pushing everything down a bit to make space for a slightly larger font. or maybe a shorter name if it doesn't have too much implications.
  • 2/7/2013 9:36 PM In reply to

My first proper attempt for Voxel Runner (currently in playtest too *cough*) ... thoughts?

• 2/8/2013 12:07 AM In reply to

Very nice.  It avoids many of the common issues by doing things right:

* Big, simple, readable, high contrast title
    * Consistent color scheme
    * Action-oriented, focused subject (that's not centered)

The only weakness I see is that a dark figure on kind of a dark background is a little low on contrast, but it's not bad.  Maybe a light colored outline around the figure would help it "pop" a bit more, or you could put some more of those lighter colored squares in the background behind it?
  • 2/8/2013 1:52 AM In reply to

I like it, but i would change the background a little bit darker and change the main character to something lighter to pop it more as mentioned by Tackemon.
    I haven't checked but title may be too small if you reduce the image size, not quite sure if it will be readable in you see the small box art in XBOX webpage, if that the case I would make the title bigger.
  • 2/8/2013 6:46 AM In reply to

Team Shuriken:
    it's pretty good as-is, but i'd try pushing everything down a bit to make space for a slightly larger font. or maybe a shorter name if it doesn't have too much implications.

I made the font a little bigger and moved everything down some. I think it looks better. I don't think the text on the side looks bad either but it is probably less readable so I'll probably not go that route.
  • 2/8/2013 6:48 AM In reply to

Petiephant:
    My first proper attempt for Voxel Runner (currently in playtest too *cough*) ... thoughts?

I'd be interested in seeing how this looked if the background was at the same angle as everything else on the box art. I think it might look better but it's hard to say without seeing it myself.
  • 2/8/2013 2:52 PM In reply to

Thanks for all the feedback so far! I'm not much of an artist, so the whole thing is actually just a direct screenshot from the game. As such, I'd rather not change the outlines (other than maybe straighten them out a bit in photoshop) or the character colour.
    I have changed the background colour to a lighter blue however which should help with the contrast, added some more particles behind the character, and made the background in line with the world (good call Kris!). I've changed the depth of the title too which seems to help when you shrink it down to the size it will be displayed on the Xbox website.

Here's the two side-by-side. Any more feedback you may have would be grand =)

Thanks,
    Peter.

• 2/8/2013 3:47 PM In reply to

That's a big improvement.  I think it'll "read" much better at thumbnail size.  Before, I thought the light squares in the background were just random background detail, but now I see that they're particles coming off the guy, so emphasizing that a little more is better.  And aligning the background more with the foreground does look better for some reason (I wouldn't have thought of that one).  Nicely done!
  • 2/8/2013 4:12 PM In reply to

Tackemon:
    That's a big improvement
    Agreed, looks a lot better.  The guy pops more and changing the background perspective on the blocks look better too (good suggestion on that one!).  I really like this cover.  I haven't played it yet but I can get a lot of info just from the title and cover, and probably could give a good guess on what the gameplay is like.  Great job.
  • 2/9/2013 6:32 PM In reply to

We're releasing a title update to our game Sherbet Thieves, and have updated the cover art as well:

• 3/22/2013 6:27 PM In reply to

Right-click and select 'Set Image Properties'
Page 52 of 53 (1315 posts) « First ... < Previous 49 50 51 52 53 Next > Previous Discussion Next Discussion