Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 51 of 53 (1315 posts) « First ... < Previous 49 50 51 52 53 Next >

Can we do better with our Cover art?

Last post 12/21/2014 8:58 AM by Ernest Soler. 1314 replies.
  • 9/2/2012 7:36 PM In reply to

Re: Can we do better with our Cover art?

You know it was bound to happen someday.

• 9/8/2012 4:20 PM In reply to

RE: Arrow in the Knee:
     I really like the pink subject.  I like that you used a girl.  Makes me want to check it out.  I don't care for the knights in the castle though and I feel the title is still off balanced, although it is a lot nicer on the top.  I also would make the scarf a little less transparent and give it a more pinkish tint or light pink to match the ruffles. The title makes me curious about the game as well.  I would seriously want to try it and see what it is about, if I were surfing in the marketplace.

Laura
  • 9/9/2012 6:12 AM In reply to

Thanks Laura! I'll forward you feedback on to our artist
  • 9/12/2012 6:48 PM In reply to

I love everything about the Skyfish Forever box.
  • 9/13/2012 6:19 AM In reply to

The Skyfish Forever cover is really gaudy, but the layout is good, and it does catch your eye. It reminds me of your previous cover mixed with a Clockwork Orange:http://sbccfilmreviews.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/clockwork-orange3.jpg
  • 9/14/2012 3:16 PM In reply to

hahaha love the skyfish cover always loved that character and this is no exception
  • 9/18/2012 8:02 PM In reply to

Our game is nearly ready to be released on 360 (and other platforms) and its time to start working on the cover art.

I'm stumped as to where to go next with my current mock up. This is it so far:

(For phones, probably will add the balls to the bottom as in the 360 version)

I've been playing games all my life and only now have I realized that pretty much ALL games have some unique styled font for the game name. I'm not sure what to do there....I'm probably gonna have to design something manually.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations or comments, thanks!

• 9/18/2012 9:47 PM In reply to

I don't know why the pics aren't showing up. I don't know how to insert them so I just pasted them in, but for some reason it isn't showing.
  • 9/19/2012 4:28 AM In reply to

Try using [..IMG..] .... [../IMG..] tags around a link to the picture
  • 9/22/2012 6:16 AM In reply to

So here's my shot at some box art for my puzzle game, "Zomp 3: The Quest for Z's". It's a puzzle/adventure game, hopefully releasing soon.

Let me know what you think.

Zomp 3: The Quest for Z's Box Art - Puzzle game

Thanks. 
    -skelman
  • 9/26/2012 10:42 PM In reply to

Looks good so far.

I'd maybe recommend using less characters (looks a tad crowded) or getting a bit more creative with how you position them, they can be larger or smaller and rotated around a bit, it just looks a bit too uniform at the moment. The characters and the Zs could do with a white border or something for emphasis.
    I would also suggest try putting a thicker border/drop shadow around the text and removing the black transparency?
    And removing the outline on the green rays int he background as they kinda detract from the foreground items.

Hope this doesn't come off as being too critical, I like where it's headed ;)
  • 9/27/2012 8:45 PM In reply to

No worries - you were not too critical.  Thank you for the feedback!

I'll definitely take some of your suggestions and try them to see if I can improve the image. I've tried it already without the black transparency at the top and didn't really like how it looked, but I'll see if a more emphasized title (drop shadow or something) will help.

I figured I could show Zomp by himself (the blue guy), or all of the characters (current graphic). The creatures probably need to face forward to look the best and make the most sense. I was hoping for "not too busy", and to show a bunch of interesting characters/enemies in the game. I'm kind of attached to the collage-of-characters approach.

I definitely need to clean up those green rays, thanks for calling that out.

Once again, thanks for the feedback. Feel free to criticize away :). I'll post another version if I can come up with something better from your suggestions.

Thanks!
    -skelman
  • 9/28/2012 4:02 AM In reply to

Okay, here's an updated version.

I may have gone too crazy on the bold borders for the characters, but I cleaned up the lines and added drop shadows to the title text.

Please let me know what you think, thanks.
    -skelman

Zomp 3: The Quest for Z's Box Art #2

• 9/28/2012 9:49 AM In reply to

It looks a lot cleaner now and the characters look less flat. Much better now in my humble opinion.
  • 9/29/2012 1:20 AM In reply to

Oh man. I never thought about the boxart until I saw this thread. My game is about to go to peer-review once again this weekend, I guess it wouldn't hurt to get some critique.

This is the boxart I currently have uploaded:

After reading this thread, perhaps the title needs to be changed but I have no idea what to do with it.
  • 9/30/2012 12:42 AM In reply to

Toolkitz:

Oh man. I never thought about the boxart until I saw this thread. My game is about to go to peer-review once again this weekend, I guess it wouldn't hurt to get some critique.

This is the boxart I currently have uploaded:

After reading this thread, perhaps the title needs to be changed but I have no idea what to do with it.

I like the artwork quite a bit here, but I think you need to be careful with the contrast on the tiled ground since it's overpowering. For example, you did well not outlining the people in the background, it helps to make the foreground stand out. I would probably add a thick outline around her and the ice cream, subdue the colors of everything in the background, and make the black tiles on the ground a dark gray.

Also, yes, you'll need to make more room for the title. This might require you shrink or move the foreground art down a bit, and look for a nice thick fun font, with a good contrast in colors. You could have the pink scoop overlap it a bit. The image does a great job of giving me an idea what this game is about though, so I would probably emphasize 'Ice Cream Shop' in the title.

And since I FINALLY finished my game, I thought I'd share my cover art. Makes sense since I started this thread a hundred years ago :)  The game has already shipped, but I think this would be a good exercise for everyone... basically tell me what's wrong with this cover and what could have made it better. I know of a few glaring issues, but I'll let you all at it first.

• 9/30/2012 3:01 AM In reply to

The sword feels awkward because of the position in the cover art, I can't put my finger on it though. It looks great that she's perched on it, but it kills the emotional mood when the sword is rising higher than the emotional scene. Plus its positioning makes it seem like both of them are pierced. It's also really gray, makes me feel like somethings missing, like more articles of destruction or something subtle and moody. Everything else is beautiful.
  • 9/30/2012 3:25 AM In reply to

Noogy:
    The game has already shipped, but I think this would be a good exercise for everyone... basically tell me what's wrong with this cover and what could have made it better. I know of a few glaring issues, but I'll let you all at it first.

The game is awesome, btw. Really enjoyed playing it and I'm definitely looking forward to your next project (be it a sequel, prequel, or new IP). And the cover is quite cool; my criticisms are my own opinions of ways it could be even better.

A few things I can see in the cover that I think could be improved.

First, it wasn't until I was really looking closely that I realized that it's Dust behind the title; I think it was the shining light coming down that made me just think there was some amorphous cloud blob behind the title.

I don't really like how the arm of the person Dust is holding came out. Without looking closely and knowing how the characters are in the game already, it's hard to tell if the character is face-up or face-down. If you think face-down then the hand is on the wrong arm. If you think face-up (which is what it is, as best I can tell), then the arm coming out looks like it would've needed to be completely dislocated to hang like that. And the fingers seem to curve too much towards Dust. I think they'd be more straight with the pinkie perhaps curving very slightly the other way, if anything.

With the light spilling down from the heavens, I think having a bit of light splash on the ground underneath Dust and the character would add something. Not a lot, but just a bit more of a highlight, which in turn would've made it more clear what it is they are on. I understand going from the detail in the foreground ground to a hazy, shadowy background ground, but a bit more detail in the area Dust is would've been good, and one way to have accomplished that would've been to have a bit of that light splash onto the ground there. You could've done it other ways, too, though.

And someone who doesn't know better could think that Fidget is stabbing Dust with Ahrah. It might've looked good to have Ahrah stuck in the ground to the left of Dust's head while leaving Fidget where she is. That could've let you give Ahrah a little more detail in the image, which would work well since it's an awesome looking sword!

Anyway, very nice work on the cover and on the game. It's been worth the wait!
  • 10/1/2012 1:07 AM In reply to

Noogy:

I'm no art critic so I don't know what to say. But as a consumer, I definately like this picture and I would consider your game if I were to see it. Thumbs up from me. I see nothing wrong.
  • 10/1/2012 2:33 AM In reply to

It looks good on the 360, but now that you make me look at it.  My eye tends to get drawn to the sword or the beam of light before anything else, and the game title gets a bit lost.  On the dashboard it is easier to read than titles around it though.  I am falling into the trap you describe that started this thread, and I have followed since it started - I currently have no idea on what I am going to do for the Ted Zombie boxart.  Heck I am happy to bring it to playtest soon, and as the game morphs based on feedback I will start to find my way for the boxart.
  • 10/9/2012 2:05 AM In reply to

Dust is a beautiful game, by the way! You must be quite the prolific artist to do all that work yourself.

The cover has a very eye-catching color palette, but the pose of the primary characters is confusing, and it's not obvious what they're supposed to be doing. Since the game is so action and combo oriented, I would lean towards having the main character in a dynamic, clear sword-swinging pose, nice and large in the middle of the box. Of course, that goes against the emotional tone you chose for your cover.
  • 10/10/2012 10:03 PM In reply to

Monday Night Games:
    Dust is a beautiful game, by the way! You must be quite the prolific artist to do all that work yourself.

The cover has a very eye-catching color palette, but the pose of the primary characters is confusing, and it's not obvious what they're supposed to be doing. Since the game is so action and combo oriented, I would lean towards having the main character in a dynamic, clear sword-swinging pose, nice and large in the middle of the box. Of course, that goes against the emotional tone you chose for your cover.

Yep, this is exactly my issue with the cover (thanks for the comments, btw). Admittedly this was never meant to be the cover art, but due to crunch I didn't have time to do anything else. The image basically tells you nothing about what the game is, though you get a bit of narrative sense of what's going on. And with four figures so close together (including the ambiguous shape of the sword), it doesn't read very well.

I think the light/dark contrast works well, with the pillar of light. But I would have been personally critical of this design had someone else created it. In hindsight I would have created a more action oriented piece, with a clear shot of the protogonist front and center, to help sell the idea that this is a character driven action game. Thankfully the title is mostly readable, and the image does look nice on the dashboard, even if it doesn't grab you immediately.
  • 10/24/2012 6:25 PM In reply to

Hi guys,

Ryan Rigney from Utah Raptor Games here. We're actually about to submit our game for playtesting. 

Our box art is pretty insane, actually. We wanted it to be a sort of throwback to the crazy Mega Man 1/Mega Man 9 and 10 box art, complete with ridiculous claims about the technical capabilities of the game. Check it out!

FAST FAST LASER LASER BOX ART

(I have no idea how to embed images lol)

Right-click and select 'Set Image Properties'

Mod Edit: Inserted image. In the future, click the "Template Manager" (next to "Format Code Block") in the rich edit controls. Choose the "insert_image_tag.htm" item and press Insert. Then right-click on the inserted embedded image template and change the details (i.e. change the link to your link and set the right width and height).
  • 11/8/2012 10:45 PM In reply to

Utah Raptor Games, I like it. Here's the only changes I would maybe make:
    - Make your company's logo bigger?
    - Maybe move the text at the top down a little so it isn't so close to the edge of the frame

Here's my first attempt:

• 11/26/2012 6:50 AM In reply to

Utah Raptor Games, obviously I like your cover haha, and good luck on the marketplace!

Phil Fortier:

Here's my first attempt:

First of all your logo is so cool to me.  I really like it, even though I'm not sure I like the 'Games' being underneath it but it is simple but effective and is black and white so you wouldn't have to worry about how it would play in certain color schemes.

I also think that the 'Intense Multiplayer Action' is a good touch to let people know what is in your game.  However I think the other descriptions of your game could be left out as it may be better to get that kind of feeling from the game visually rather than reading it directly.  Which brings me to the black background.

And I think a bit of that retail space could be used to give some insight into the game.

I like the 3d image in the middle of the screen because of the textures.

Overall I would say that I like the image, but it doesn't tell me too much about your game.  Which could be a good thing (intrigue) or a bad thing, and I'm afraid I don't have the expertise to know which one.

Which brings me to my image, and I am looking for external expertise myself.

What do you think?

Page 51 of 53 (1315 posts) « First ... < Previous 49 50 51 52 53 Next > Previous Discussion Next Discussion