Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 2 (28 posts) 1 2 Next >

How to prevent the mouse from going out of the window?

Last post 7/30/2007 11:49 PM by Nick Gravelyn. 27 replies.
  • 7/23/2007 1:51 AM

How to prevent the mouse from going out of the window?

Hello I'm quite new to XNA I hope somebody could help me with my problem.

I want to keep the mouse from going of the game window, and I can't seem to find a way to do this.

*Note: The window is not in fullscreen mode.

Thanks in advance. ^_^

• 7/23/2007 2:02 AM In reply to

Re: How to prevent the mouse from going out of the window?

There really isn't a way that I'm aware of. Why do you need to keep the mouse in the window? Maybe with more details we can find a different solution to your problem.
  • 7/23/2007 2:03 AM In reply to

When using the built in mouse you will find that you will not be able to stop the mouse from leaving the window as you are going to need it for the rest of your application.

But When using a custom mouse pointer you are able to only show your custom pointer on the current game window, then when the mouse leaves the mouse will change back to the windows one :) and leave your custom one on the screen.

To help I have created a Custom Mouse pointer that you might be able to use.

• 7/23/2007 3:40 AM In reply to

Try this:

if (currentMouseState.X != previousMouseState.X)
    cursorPosition.X += amountOfMovement * 4f * (currentMouseState.X - previousMouseState.X);

if (currentMouseState.Y != previousMouseState.Y)
    cursorPosition.Y += amountOfMovement * 4f * (currentMouseState.Y - previousMouseState.Y);

// Keep cursor on the screen
    if (cursorPosition.X + CurrentScreen.CursorImage.Width < 0)
    cursorPosition.X = -CurrentScreen.CursorImage.Width;
    else if (cursorPosition.X + CurrentScreen.CursorImage.Width > SCREEN_WIDTH)
    cursorPosition.X = SCREEN_WIDTH - CurrentScreen.CursorImage.Width;

if
    (cursorPosition.Y + CurrentScreen.CursorImage.Height < 0)
    cursorPosition.Y = -CurrentScreen.CursorImage.Height;
    else if (cursorPosition.Y + CurrentScreen.CursorImage.Height > SCREEN_HEIGHT)
    cursorPosition.Y = SCREEN_HEIGHT - CurrentScreen.CursorImage.Height;
    // Keeps the windows cursor in the window
    Mouse.SetPosition(Window.ClientBounds.Width / 2, Window.ClientBounds.Height / 2);
  • 7/23/2007 1:59 PM In reply to

It would be considered bad windows behaviour to do this. There is a reason that you have multiple windows on a screen and blocking the mouse pointer would stop them from being used.

If you explain why you think you need it maybe we can think up a better solution to the problem that would enable your game to still run well.

• 7/24/2007 9:02 PM In reply to

I was actually having trouble with the mouse pointer too. I'm making a simple windowed Windows game, and it's a little weird having the cursor change when it enters or leaves the box. It'd be nice if there were a way to just use the default windows pointer, as most Windows apps do.

It's not a huge problem though, and XNA is treating me amazingly well, so don't mind our small complaints, members of the XNA team. :)
  • 7/24/2007 11:14 PM In reply to

(Since these are Win32 functions, read about using DllImport to use them from C#)

ClipCursor:  http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms648383.aspx

Note:  You will lose the ClipCursor if the user alt+tabs or another window grabs focus and you will need to re-clip the cursor when you get focus back.  Also, by default the cursor is NOT clipped in fullscreen mode if the user has multiple monitors, and since your window will not have borders in this case you will need a special case to handle the different clipping rectangle.

It is not considered bad behavior to do this.  Games that scroll an overhead view when the mouse is near the edge of the dispay area rely on this feature to function correctly on multi-monitor systems, whether in full screen or in windowed mode.  Games that do not clip the cursor and use edge-scrolling are frustratingly unplayable on multi-monitor systems.

[DllImport("user32.dll")]
    static extern void ClipCursor(ref Rectangle rect);

protected override void Update(GameTime gameTime)
    {
      // TODO: Add your update logic here
      if (IsActive)
      {
        Rectangle rect = Window.ClientBounds;
        rect.Width += rect.X;
        rect.Height += rect.Y;

ClipCursor(ref rect);
      }

base.Update(gameTime);
    }
  • 7/24/2007 11:16 PM In reply to

You can use the default cursor. Just put

IsMouseVisible = true;

into your game's constructor and the mouse will show up.
  • 7/25/2007 7:24 PM In reply to

Nypyren:

Agreed, this is the best practice method I use this in various GUI aspects of my windows applications. Note: passing NULL to ClipCursor will cancel the clipping if you need to do this while the game is running.
  • 7/25/2007 7:57 PM In reply to

Answer
    Reply Quote
    Antony Kancidrowski:
    Nypyren:

Agreed, this is the best practice method I use this in various GUI aspects of my windows applications. Note: passing NULL to ClipCursor will cancel the clipping if you need to do this while the game is running.

While I agree that will be the best way to achieve what the OP wants, what the OP thinks he wants to do, he should not. You should never lock a mouse cursor inside of a window. Perhaps as a temporary (I'm talking seconds) thing, but if for the entirety of your game my mouse cursor is locked inside, I assure you I will stop playing it. If you want to have pure access to the mouse, go fullscreen. Please do not lock the mouse cursor to your window.
  • 7/25/2007 8:05 PM In reply to

There is one case, even in full screen.... if you have multi mon and you go full screen then its very easy to move the mous onto the other monitor and accidentally click. I did this all the time playing Rocket Commander as the mouse button is used as a control.

I'm with Nick - there's no need to lock the mouse pointer in a window. If you want scrolling when a user hits the edge then enable scrolling at the edge or beyond.

• 7/25/2007 10:35 PM In reply to

I concur - you should not force the player to have his mouse clipped inside the display area of your game at all times.  At the very least provide a single hotkey (I use ESC) to disable it, as well as an option to permanently disable it.
  • 7/26/2007 12:03 AM In reply to

What about in an FPS game being played in windowed mode?  Wouldn't that justify keeping the mouse in the window at all times?
  • 7/26/2007 12:20 AM In reply to

Tonisius:
    What about in an FPS game being played in windowed mode?  Wouldn't that justify keeping the mouse in the window at all times?

Who would play an FPS in a window? Most FPSs don't even give a windowed option. Like I said, if you require full control over the mouse (i.e. avoiding clicking outside of the game window), make it fullscreen. I firmly stand by my "there is no justification for keeping a mouse in a window unless you are talking a fullscreen window on a multi-monitor setup" belief.
  • 7/26/2007 9:01 AM In reply to

When i debug i never run fullscreen and when you'r trying to gather some friends to play with you windowmode is very convenient so you keep an eye on your chatwindows while playing.

In my game i've solved it like this:

Vector2 mouseDelta;

void UpdateMouse() //Run this in the beginning of every logic-"frame"
    {
    if (windowHasFocus)
    {
    MouseState currentState = Mouse.GetState();
    mouseDelta.X = currentState.X - centerOfWindowX;
    mouseDelta.Y = currentState.Y - centerOfWindowY;

Mouse.SetPosition(centerOfWindowX, centerOfWindowY);
    }
    }
    This way you can't pull the mouse outside of the window in eighter fullscreen or windowmode and you can still use it normaly in windows by simply pressing alt-tab.
  • 7/28/2007 2:07 PM In reply to

Woops sorry for the late reply, I didn't know how to track my posts so I couldn't find this post lolx X_x'

(gaaah I suck at using this forum X_x')

I was just curious if there's a way to prevent the mouse from going out of the window, because my game uses the mouse to navigate through the game (kinda). =p

Nick Gravelyn:

You should never lock a mouse cursor inside of a window. Perhaps as a temporary (I'm talking seconds) thing, but if for the entirety of your game my mouse cursor is locked inside, I assure you I will stop playing it. 

- ohh I just realized that after reading your msg X_x'

Nypyren:

- I'll try this when the need really arises =p

That said, I'll leave the mouse as it is since it really doesn't affect the game. =p

Thanks everybody for the help ^_^ I really appreciate it.

I love XNA =p~

• 7/28/2007 7:28 PM In reply to

I too am coming up against this problem, but it is perhaps slightly easier to solve. Like many other games, in my game the camera is used as a free look camera but only functions as that while the right mouse button is held down, I feel in this situation I can justify using SetPosition. All the user need do is lift their finger off the RMB to get control of the cursor back.

This has been a slightly unexpected inconvenience over when I used MDX 1.1 since the mouse API in MDX gave you the mouse coordinate relative to its last position pumped in through an event system. I guess without events being used, perhaps for simplicity or style, it doesn't really make sense any more to have it provide you with a "delta" movement. The delta change ignored the bounds of the monitors and provided readings even when the cursor was bang up against a monitor edge and could move no more, this was what made my old solution work. Whether something similar could be "tacked on" (to use the technical term) to XNA to perhaps provide coordinate change between GetState calls I don't know, but it feels awkward not being able to read the data coming from the mouse and instead rely on Windows' cursor location.

Adam Miles

• 7/28/2007 8:37 PM In reply to

Adam Miles:

This has been a slightly unexpected inconvenience over when I used MDX 1.1 since the mouse API in MDX gave you the mouse coordinate relative to its last position pumped in through an event system. I guess without events being used, perhaps for simplicity or style, it doesn't really make sense any more to have it provide you with a "delta" movement. The delta change ignored the bounds of the monitors and provided readings even when the cursor was bang up against a monitor edge and could move no more, this was what made my old solution work. Whether something similar could be "tacked on" (to use the technical term) to XNA to perhaps provide coordinate change between GetState calls I don't know, but it feels awkward not being able to read the data coming from the mouse and instead rely on Windows' cursor location.

I assume the decision to use absolute coordinates instead of deltas is due to the use of WinForms (or more likely pure Win32) APIs instead of DirectInput (and this affects keyboard input, too). And, as far as I remember (and this memory might be wrong as it has been some time since I worked with pure Win32), there is no way to receive the movement delta at this layer of the OS input processing.

• 7/28/2007 8:53 PM In reply to

Adam Miles:

I too am coming up against this problem, but it is perhaps slightly easier to solve. Like many other games, in my game the camera is used as a free look camera but only functions as that while the right mouse button is held down, I feel in this situation I can justify using SetPosition. All the user need do is lift their finger off the RMB to get control of the cursor back.

Adam Miles

That seems like a legitimate use of SetPosition. It's temporary and serves a fairly valid reason.

As for your problem, if you are centering the mouse cursor each frame, then you can calculate the deltas pretty easily (assuming 'this' is your Game class):

float deltaX = this.Window.ClientBounds.Width / 2 - Mouse.GetState().X;
    float deltaY = this.Window.ClientBounds.Height / 2 - Mouse.GetState().Y;

However using SetPosition probably requires Windows overall coordinates (not window coordinates). However you could solve that as well. I don't know the actual declaration of SetPosition, but getting the center of your window would be like this:

int x = this.Window.ClientBounds.X + (this.Window.ClientBounds.Width / 2);
    int y = this.Window.ClientBounds.Y + (this.Window.ClientBounds.Height / 2);

That should work assuming that Game.Window.ClientBounds returns the X,Y coordinate in global coordinates (as opposed to just 0,0).
  • 7/28/2007 9:50 PM In reply to

Nick Gravelyn:

That should work assuming that Game.Window.ClientBounds returns the X,Y coordinate in global coordinates (as opposed to just 0,0).

ClientBounds get the coordinates relative to the client area, so they would be 0, 0. For a Form, Location gets the screen coordinates.

• 7/28/2007 10:58 PM In reply to

Nick Gravelyn:

Snip.

Yup, I ended up doing something pretty similar to this as shown here: http://pastebin.ca/637646

The SetPosition handily takes window coordinates so the latter wasn't an issue, but in general this way seems to solve any problems I thought I might have. The mouse is made temporarily invisible for my game window while doing the free look so as to hide the "twitching" as the cursor repeatedly moves and gets set back. Also, the coordinate where the RMB was first pressed is stored and used as the return position rather than the centre of the screen just so that user knows where to expect the mouse cursor when they are done looking (right where they left it!).

Of course this does only work in situations where the user needs to do something to activate the particular action, in this case the RMB, this obviously wouldn't work for FPS games. Some people have certainly suggested they hate applications stealing their mouse, but would an acceptable workaround be that the game only does so while it is Focused? Requiring an alt-tab to another window to free the mouse might still be an inconvenience, especially if another window isn't open to alt-tab to, but would let the application steal the mouse for as long as it is focused, much like a full screen application would. Either way, it isn't a problem for my game, I hope everyone gets their mouse issues sorted :).

Adam Miles

EDIT: For clarity, this post did not appear until Monday 30th, 20:22PM GMT.

• 7/29/2007 2:37 AM In reply to

#if !XBOX
            private void ClipCursor(bool clip)
            {
                if (clip)
                {
                    Rectangle rect = Bounds; // Rectangle to clip (in screen coordinates)
                    System.Windows.Forms.Cursor.Clip = new System.Drawing.Rectangle(rect.X, rect.Y, rect.Width, rect.Height);
                }
                else
                {
                    System.Windows.Forms.Cursor.Clip = new System.Drawing.Rectangle(int.MinValue / 2, int.MinValue / 2, int.MaxValue, int.MaxValue);
                }
            }
    #endif
  • 7/30/2007 2:06 AM In reply to

This thread seems to have quite a bit of thoughts on how a mouse should be taken care of. I nominate this as a simple sample for the samples section. It could just be a simple window with a couple of buttons, and a cursor that will not leave the window, but will not restrict the windows cursor either. Not sure how much priority the guys at XNA put on windowed applications however.
  • 7/30/2007 2:27 AM In reply to

I don't personally think this is warranting of a sample. After reading about the lengths the XNA guys have to go through to publish code (read over at Shawn's blog), it would seem silly. If you want to clip the Windows cursor to your window, code here has been given. If you want a custom cursor that clips to your window, but still allows the windows cursor to leave, just simply track the mouse position and clip that Vector2 to your window.

Vector2 cursorPos;

public override void Update(GameTime gameTime)
    {
    cursorPos = new Vector2(
    MathHelper.Clamp(Mouse.GetState().X, 0f, Window.ClientBounds.Width),
    MathHelper.Clamp(Mouse.GetState().Y, 0f, Window.ClientBounds.Height));
    }

Not sure how much priority the guys at XNA put on windowed applications however.

Probably not much considering most games run fullscreen or are aimed for the 360. While there are casual games made with XNA that would run as windowed games, those types of games hardly require such control over the cursor.

• 7/30/2007 2:59 AM In reply to

Nick Gravelyn:
    Tonisius:

Most FPSs don't even give a windowed option.

Actually, I don't know more than 2 games that don't have windowed mode, one being Serious Sam 2.

Every other FPS game I've ever played has an option for windowed mode. It's handy when you want to use all your monitors properly.

Especially when debugging a full screen game, it crashes, you can't unload the graphics device. Good luck with trying to get back to your desktop.

But yeah, there are good reasons to lock the position of the mouse on the screen.  
Page 1 of 2 (28 posts) 1 2 Next > Previous Discussion Next Discussion