Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (11 posts)

Is the Xbox 360 HDMI output copy protected (HDCP)?

Last post 4/17/2009 3:17 AM by Matthew Doucette. 10 replies.
  • 4/16/2009 12:48 AM

Is the Xbox 360 HDMI output copy protected (HDCP)?

Is the Xbox 360 HDMI output copy protected (HDCP)?  I am about to buy a capture card and want to make sure I can record HDMI off the Xbox, first.
  • 4/16/2009 1:21 AM In reply to

Re: Is the Xbox 360 HDMI output copy protected (HDCP)?

I seem to recall I connected my 'box to a DVI monitor at one point, and that it worked, which it wouldn't have done if protected. However, it *may* turn on protection when watching HD-DVDs; I don't know about that at all.
    Also, the Xbox supports analog component video out without blurrification, which it couldn't do if it was HDCP protecting the games content.
    Anyway, if you're getting that black magic card, I would suggest paying a little extra to get the Pro version that does analog input; that gives you more flexibility in what you capture and how.
  • 4/16/2009 3:30 AM In reply to

I was wondering how the "hdmi system" (for lack of better wording or understanding from myself) would know if the signal is a game or DVD, if it were only enabled for one and not the other.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I am fairly sure the 360 will not output the game with HDCP, but I really wanted to know for certain before spending $350 on that card (I was going with the pro for the same reasons you stated) pluse two $50 HDMI cables ($450 total).

Not to break off from the original question, but if there was HDCP, what other way is there to capture 1280x720 resolution off my Xbox?  (I know about running fraps on my PC, but I want to capture my Xbox.)
  • 4/16/2009 6:24 AM In reply to

Matthew Doucette:
    I am fairly sure the 360 will not output the game with HDCP [...]

This MS Help & Support article backs your assumption that games are not HDCP protected (it would be rather unlikely anyway as a games video/audio is not something someone "pirates").
  • 4/16/2009 1:37 PM In reply to

Thank you, Bjoern Graf!  That solves one of my problems!  On to the next.
  • 4/16/2009 6:59 PM In reply to

Bjoern Graf:
    Matthew Doucette:
    I am fairly sure the 360 will not output the game with HDCP [...]

This MS Help & Support article backs your assumption that games are not HDCP protected (it would be rather unlikely anyway as a games video/audio is not something someone "pirates").

Tell that to Sony!  The PS3 enables HDCP when outputting over HDMI (very annoying!). 
  • 4/16/2009 7:10 PM In reply to

MJP:
    The PS3 enables HDCP when outputting over HDMI (very annoying!). 

Wow!  Now I don't feel so bad for wondering if the Xbox 360 did the same.
  • 4/16/2009 8:45 PM In reply to

pluse two $50 HDMI cables ($450 total).

You're being ripped. Depending on the length you need, all you need to pay is less than a dollar a foot.

3 feet, $3

12 feet, $7
    25 feet, $17

I have bought from monoprice many times before, and always gotten high-quality products -- I'm a happy customer, and don't benefit from them in any other way. (They also have awesome flat panel TV mounts for fractions of the Best Buy price).
  • 4/16/2009 9:00 PM In reply to

Holy crud - $17 for a 25 ft cable?!! I paid like $80 bucks for a 15 ft cable at Best Buy last year!! >:-(
    Thanks for the link, bookmarking... (in a similar vein, if any of you use digital cameras for getting textures or background images for your games, B&H Photo Video is the same way.)
  • 4/17/2009 3:12 AM In reply to

Thank you, jwatte!  Even though I am (now) not going to buy it, what is the extra cable that comes with the Xbox 360 HDMI Cable package?

And, are HDMI cable ends male and female, or unisex?  I don't want to mess up my "XBox -> capture card -> TV" setup.  I need two HDMI cables, and I am assuming they are unisex.
  • 4/17/2009 3:17 AM In reply to

Is there any difference in signal quality with HDMI cables?  If I "go expensive", will I get higher quality?
Page 1 of 1 (11 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion