Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 2 (39 posts) 1 2 Next >

Money/Download numbers.

Last post 2/24/2009 5:33 PM by Jim Perry. 38 replies.
  • 12/6/2008 5:00 AM

Money/Download numbers.

I just got my game accepted (yay!) and I was wondering if I will get to see download or money/points accrued numbers once I put in my personal info?
  • 12/6/2008 5:09 AM In reply to

Re: Money/Download numbers.

Nope, not yet
  • 12/6/2008 5:28 AM In reply to

anybody have any ideas of when we might?

• 12/6/2008 6:15 AM In reply to

It hasn't been announced
  • 12/6/2008 9:50 AM In reply to

I work here and I don't even know how many copies my game has sold! That should tell you that my job has nothing to do with getting you paid, so then you should be able to properly interpret my next comment as pure speculation: I suspect we will tell you how much we will pay you, before we actually pay you. And we said that payments will be made quarterly.
  • 12/6/2008 10:11 AM In reply to

The only thing preventing me from putting my games on XBL CG is the fact that I wont know how many downloads and sales I would have received daily or even weekly.

To me the most exciting thing about getting your game released to the community is to see the number of downloads and purchases.

Everything is tied to those vital 2 statistics which should be at least provided on a daily summary:
    - Spending money on advertising. (seeing what advertisement adds to game downloads/sales)
    - Working out the conversion rate (so as to try improve it for future games etc... i.e. seeing what works and what doesn't)
    - Working out which game is successful (to know if its worth making a sequel etc.)
    - Meeting the targets set for yourself (like 1000 sold copies etc.)
    - To see if you can quit your day job

If we have to wait until we get paid or the week before we get paid to me that just seems silly, how can I run a business like that?
    If thats the case then at least add leader boards so we can get some idea of sales numbers on a daily basis.
  • 12/6/2008 11:11 AM In reply to

SniperED007:
    If we have to wait until we get paid or the week before we get paid to me that just seems silly, how can I run a business like that?
    Who ever said that's the case? Quite the contrary, it's been mentioned by a couple different Microsoft people that they do plan to get us some sort of statistics system in place but it just isn't ready yet.

As for meeting targets, quiting jobs and so forth, if you don't submit a game, you won't have any of that. I understand it's frustrating to not see statistics, but if you have a game ready you might as well put it out there and start selling copies. If you don't have a game ready, then it seems like you have something better to do than worry about the current lack of statistics. ;-)
  • 12/7/2008 8:58 PM In reply to

We had hoped to have this information available to you guys now but due to some external factors we can't just yet. Getting you guys download stats is top of my priority list so please hang tight
  • 12/7/2008 9:00 PM In reply to

Pheel:
    We had hoped to have this information available to you guys now but due to some external factors we can't just yet. Getting you guys download stats is top of my priority list so please hang tight
    That's great news! Thanks!
  • 12/7/2008 9:01 PM In reply to

Pheel:
    It's on the top of my Christmas list. Santa better get me what I want... ;-)
  • 12/7/2008 9:59 PM In reply to

Ha yea mine too.
  • 12/7/2008 11:42 PM In reply to

The only thing preventing me from putting my games on XBL CG is the fact that I wont know how many downloads and sales I would have received daily or even weekly.

So, instead of selling some number of copies, and do only the amount of advertising you can currently afford, and hearing about results in April, you choose to sell zero copies? You're certainly welcome to make that choice. If you want to quit your day job, I would assume that you would wait to see how much you sold over 6 months anyway, because game sales can be quite varying by time, and quitting a job based on the first two weeks of sales seems overly risky IMO.
  • 12/8/2008 1:37 AM In reply to

Thank You Phil.
  • 12/8/2008 4:39 AM In reply to

Pheel:

Can you tell us just the "ESTIMATE TIME" when that feature will available?
    I will not use it as any reference or asking even that is not true, but just want to know the estimate time :)
  • 12/8/2008 6:01 AM In reply to

novaL:

I will not use it as any reference or asking even that is not true, but just want to know the estimate time :)

You may not but sadly there will be plenty of people in these forums who will... check out what happened when the DBP results were a day overdue...

For that reason and many more you need to watch the XNA blog rather than the forums for announcements.

I do wonder though how knowing a date will change anything...
  • 12/8/2008 6:11 AM In reply to

It's human nature, a hunger for knowledge. Even if it wont change anything. :)
  • 12/8/2008 9:24 AM In reply to

Pheel:

Just a question regarding those stats. I suppose you can't tell us if we're going to be able to see the sales numbers grouped by region, can you? ;-) In my opinion, it would be quite interesting because if you see your game selling not-so-good in region X, you can do some research in order to improve the next one for that region. Just another tool to help us do our best, but region-specific.
  • 12/8/2008 4:18 PM In reply to

The first two weeks of sales are crucial, and if you have no way to track them, then you don't know whether to/how to shift/focus advertising, and thus can't really adjust - you could easily limit sales a great deal early on with marketing mistakes. That's one of the reasons I'm only testing smaller/experimental games right now; we're completely in the dark of how well ANYTHING is doing on there.

Edit: That was a response to the response to Sniper's post. Forgot to quote it.
  • 12/8/2008 5:31 PM In reply to

Nick Gravelyn:
    Pheel:
    It's on the top of my Christmas list. Santa better get me what I want... ;-)

It's in the mine too! This, the peace in the world and a couple of million dollars...
  • 12/8/2008 10:19 PM In reply to

jwatte:

So, instead of selling some number of copies, and do only the amount of advertising you can currently afford, and hearing about results in April, you choose to sell zero copies? You're certainly welcome to make that choice. If you want to quit your day job, I would assume that you would wait to see how much you sold over 6 months anyway, because game sales can be quite varying by time, and quitting a job based on the first two weeks of sales seems overly risky IMO.

To be fair, the problem exists on other levels too.  We don't know whether it's worth putting funds\time into advertising the game - if it's had 20,000 downloads and sold 10 then the game quality is the problem.  Nor do we know if it's worth developing another title - for all we know we've sold 10 copies and we're better off concentrating on our core business.

I'm still being patient though, it's a lot to work through and they have to get it right pretty much first time.  It just means our Xbox side is 'on hold' for the time being.
  • 12/9/2008 3:22 AM In reply to

The ZMan:
    novaL:

You may not but sadly there will be plenty of people in these forums who will... check out what happened when the DBP results were a day overdue...

For that reason and many more you need to watch the XNA blog rather than the forums for announcements.

I do wonder though how knowing a date will change anything...

If the forum does not meant to announce any official news, i will follow some thing called blog that you said.

I don't know how other peoples work, but for me some thing like that due date can change my work planing.
    Imagine that the the staff said estimate time for announcement is in 1 week or 1 month.
    That quiet a lot of different time for me which i can make my schedule, that i should make substitute market plan first or go to dating first :P
    And i believe it will be better to community if the staff just say some estimate time and quote that it is not a promise
    than keep quiet forever until some day it finish and just tell us.

Imagine how good is it for this community if we the developer and the staff can completely communicate
    without the business secret barrier or something like that.
    When developer have some question they ask.
    Then the staff came quickly to answer, describe how that problem come, why does that feature is not available or has bug.
    Or just say that for now we don't have policy to tell this stuff.
    Then the developer understand the whole picture and can help to give idea to fix it.
  • 12/9/2008 4:11 AM In reply to

See I thought it was a legal(I AM NO LAWYER)(JUST SPECULATION) issue that they could not release the numbers, but then major nelson releases the top games by sales. And pheel said they were ready but just hit some snags. (Just a paraphrase I'm not holding you to anything). :)
    So I'm wondering whats the hold up?
  • 12/9/2008 4:34 AM In reply to

Major Nelson released the top 10 for one week.... maybe those numbers were made by hand for him - not a scalable solution. Notice that he only gave you the rank - he didn't give actual numbers and notice also nobody is being paid based on those... there's a world of difference between what he announced and a scalable solution for all the creators which is accurate and auditable.
  • 12/9/2008 4:38 AM In reply to

True
  • 12/9/2008 9:16 AM In reply to

From neogaf:

Was just listening to to the Major Nelson podcast where they listed the top 10 community games sales for 11/24 to 11/30.
    1. Word Soup
    2. Weapon of Choice
    3. Sin Surfing
    4. ZSX4 Guitarpocalypse
    5. No Frills Sudoku
    6. Coliseum
    7. Aaron's Ping Pong
    8. In The Pit
    9. Snake 360
    10. Brain Party

Some really odd games being bought... Pong WTF!

Congrats to Aaron on the ultra-retro Pong!  Glad you ignored all of us who said your game wasn't worthy :-P 

Page 1 of 2 (39 posts) 1 2 Next > Previous Discussion Next Discussion