Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (7 posts)

Direct X model convert to 3Ds MAX

Last post 12/7/2010 12:17 AM by ZDD_0. 6 replies.
  • 6/30/2008 11:17 PM

Direct X model convert to 3Ds MAX

Does anyone know how to convert model (.x file) to 3Ds MAX studio? Do you have any free software for that?

• 6/30/2008 11:44 PM In reply to

Re: Direct X model convert to 3Ds MAX

I would be very surprised to find that 3ds max couldn't import .x files directly.
  • 7/1/2008 12:39 AM In reply to

3ds Max importing isn't actually all that great. It does not ship with a .X file importer (or, for that matter, a .X file exporter). The best method I can think of is to use a free or cheap tool like Blender or Milkshape to import X, export as COLLADA, FBX or OBJ, and import back into Max. Or you can use a tool such as PolyTrans, which costs real money.
  • 11/18/2008 10:21 PM In reply to

You can do it in Truespace 7.6. The modeler is free and it can be dowloaded at Caligari.com and click on the Truespace link to download it. Then you can import your X models into TS 7.6 and save them as either Studio Max 3DS or ASC format. BNG.
  • 11/30/2009 6:33 AM In reply to

There is a console utility provided with the DirectX SDK which performs conversion from .3ds to .x files. I think it's an easier method because it was designed specifically with that in mind. Using many different modelling packages to reach the format you are after is ok but you might need many of such packages. I suggest you download the DirectX SDK or download the Conv3ds.exe utility which helps you get the job done.
  • 12/2/2010 12:44 AM In reply to

DantesHell:
    There is a console utility provided with the DirectX SDK which performs conversion from .3ds to .x files. I think it's an easier method because it was designed specifically with that in mind. Using many different modelling packages to reach the format you are after is ok but you might need many of such packages. I suggest you download the DirectX SDK or download the Conv3ds.exe utility which helps you get the job done.

There are also other conversion programs like 3d Exploration. However, part of the problem seems to be the many X model format variants currently used by different 3d modeling packages. I use Truespace to import 3DS models for conversion to the X model format. Try experimenting around a bit and see where it goes.
  • 12/7/2010 12:17 AM In reply to

DantesHell:

Note that .x -> .3ds not euqal .3ds -> .x, the tool you mentioned is used to convert .x to .3ds, but not vice versa.
Page 1 of 1 (7 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion