Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 2 of 6 (140 posts) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

Robot Game is now available for download! (Updated 6/27)

Last post 1/22/2012 11:08 AM by JCBDigger. 139 replies.
  • 6/24/2008 3:31 PM In reply to

Re: A New Mini-Game is Coming... (updated 6/23 with more screenshots)

Rainault:
    Will we be provided the source for this mini-game, or do we just get to see the juicy end result?
    Yep, source included. All assets included. Use what you want in your future projects.
  • 6/24/2008 4:49 PM In reply to

Re: A New Mini-Game is Coming... (updated 6/24 with more screenshots)

Another day, another set of screenshots... only this time, it's split-screen multiplayer!  

Day 4 - Screenshot 1

Day 4 - Screenshot 2

Don't miss tomorrow... we'll be announcing the full details of the mini-game release and all things going to plan, there will be video of the game in action!

• 6/24/2008 6:36 PM In reply to

Why is two-player always split top/bottom? If you have a widescreen, wouldn't it make more sense to split left/right? I see this in a lot of games, but never understood why.
  • 6/24/2008 6:43 PM In reply to

What if, like me, you don't have a widescreen? I think it makes more sense to do top/bottom in something like this since being able to see more horizontally is more important than vertically.
  • 6/24/2008 7:11 PM In reply to

jwatte:
    Why is two-player always split top/bottom? If you have a widescreen, wouldn't it make more sense to split left/right? I see this in a lot of games, but never understood why.
    Play Halo on widescreen and you'll see it'll swap to side x side instead of top/bottom. For this game, it was done top/bottom but I'm sure someone with some mad coding skillz could extend the mini game, once we release it, to be side x side. ;-)
  • 6/25/2008 7:06 PM In reply to

Robot Game Video and Details

The XNA Team is excited to announce details about the upcoming release of the mini game, Robot Game.

Robot Game is a three-dimensional robot combat game that demonstrates the following components:

• Advanced graphics using shaders and post-processing effects
    • Advanced particle system
    • Collision detection, 3D positional sound, input, and screens management
    • Single-player mode and split-screen two-player versus mode
    • Customizable game elements, such as robots, weapons, and items

It will be available for all XNA Creators Club Premium Members to download on Friday 6/27/2008 at 12pm PST. The project includes all source and art assets which you are free to use as the basis for your own XNA Game Studio game projects.

Further details, including screenshots and a video are available on the Robot Game details page.

• 6/25/2008 7:34 PM In reply to

Re: Robot Game Video and Details

w00t! OK, so who's going to update it to support internet play? :)
  • 6/25/2008 10:14 PM In reply to

Re: A New Mini-Game is Coming...

jwatte we can never compete , but you can compete in GPU Magic (hlsl) 

mike

• 6/26/2008 11:25 PM In reply to

I really hope that some documentation on how to create the animated fbx models and how to create compatible levels is provided, so we can create our own models.

On another topic, somebody mentioned that maybe non premium mebers will get upset. Since I am a premium member, I am very happy that this content is not given away for free; because the best reason to pay for the club no longer exists if you register on DBP, I mean, why pay if you already can play your game on the 360.

• 6/27/2008 7:03 PM In reply to

Robot Game Now Available!

The XNA Team is excited to announce the release of the mini game, Robot Game. It is available for all XNA Creators Club Premium Members to download now!

Further details, including the download, screenshots and a video are available on the Robot Game details page.

• 6/27/2008 8:32 PM In reply to

Baltico X:

I really hope that some documentation on how to create the animated fbx models and how to create compatible levels is provided, so we can create our own models.

On another topic, somebody mentioned that maybe non premium mebers will get upset. Since I am a premium member, I am very happy that this content is not given away for free; because the best reason to pay for the club no longer exists if you register on DBP, I mean, why pay if you already can play your game on the 360.

it is a good thing about pay 99 buks for the club , why then microsoft can take all the monny and get some nice models packs and texture packs and sound effect from lucas art thay have nice cd collection

and give them away to the club , in the meen time here is a link for sounds http://www.soundsnap.com/

maby microsoft shood team up with them .. take a look

• 6/27/2008 9:12 PM In reply to

Downloaded and played two quick games. Pretty nice. I did encounter a weird bug with the camera where it comes unlocked for what seemed to be no apparent reason. I'll have to look into it more to see if it's recreatable.
  • 6/27/2008 9:15 PM In reply to

Jim Perry:
    Downloaded and played two quick games. Pretty nice. I did encounter a weird bug with the camera where it comes unlocked for what seemed to be no apparent reason. I'll have to look into it more to see if it's recreatable.

Check out the controls specification in the HTML document.  In debug mode only, clicking the left thumbstick puts the camera into a free-roaming mode.  You can click the left thumbstick again to switch back out of that mode.

You can sometimes click the thumbstick by accident.  :)

• 6/27/2008 9:28 PM In reply to

EvoFx Studio:
    Baltico X:

it is a good thing about pay 99 buks for the club , why then microsoft can take all the monny and get some nice models packs and texture packs and sound effect from lucas art thay have nice cd collection

and give them away to the club , in the meen time here is a link for sounds http://www.soundsnap.com/

maby microsoft shood team up with them .. take a look

Nice game the robot one , i relly like the idea of splitting the animation away from the model data and just hook into the bones it make the game animation models flexbile

and easy to edit and easy to expand , i just missing a small editor to glue the animations to the models and save the xml files out , like a animation editor so you can test the animation

i bet the folks made this game has one , why not give the source and exe to the community

it a bit complexx to understand the animation part without a documations of the animation system

nice work

• 6/28/2008 5:40 AM In reply to

EvoFx Studio:
    it is a good thing about pay 99 buks for the club , why then microsoft can take all the monny and get some nice models packs and texture packs and sound effect from lucas art thay have nice cd collectio

Thats my point, I am willing to pay if I get more stuff than the people that does not.

EvoFx Studio:
    i relly like the idea of splitting the animation away from the model data and just hook into the bones it make the game animation models flexbile

and easy to edit and easy to expand , i just missing a small editor to glue the animations to the models and save the xml files out , like a animation editor so you can test the animation

i bet the folks made this game has one , why not give the source and exe to the community

it a bit complexx to understand the animation part without a documations of the animation system

I totally agree, we need some way to strip de animation out of the FBX file into the Animation file. Maybe the modeling software does that, but since I don't know anything about modeling software I won't know.

A word to the developers:

What this game has achieved is really impresive, both on quality and performance. The game is fun. Sound, graphics and post processing effects are top quality, and I guess that if you take the time to undertand this mini game you will learn a lot and have a nice 3D engine to play with and expand to create your own games. I really hope to see some helper tools to create additional content for this game, starting with Model creation. Congratulations and many thanks.

• 6/28/2008 1:40 PM In reply to

Re: Robot Game is now available for download! (Updated 6/27)

There is some kind of little bug with this minigame. Look:

• 6/28/2008 9:12 PM In reply to

Collision bug in robot game (bounding box transform)

The code to transform the bounding box in the Collision library is wrong:

/// <summary> 
            /// Transform the bounding box. 
            /// </summary> 
            public override void Transform(Matrix matrix) 
            { 
                boundingBox.Min = Vector3.Transform(localMin, matrix); 
                boundingBox.Max = Vector3.Transform(localMax, matrix); 

base.Transform(matrix); 
            } 

If you have an AABB that goes from (-1,-1,-1) to (1,1,1), and rotate it 45 degrees around X, you will end up with (-1, 0, -1.4) to (1, 0, 1.4) which clearly is not the proper bounding box for the rotated box (note the deflation around the Y axis). The correct way to rotate a bounding box is to rotate each of the 8 corners, and then take the min/max of each new corner. There are ways to do that with less math than doing 8 full transforms, by using Abs() on components of rotation vectors, if you want to optimize it.

• 6/30/2008 2:41 AM In reply to

Sorcerer:

The issue is that the Content Processor for the Texture is not set. If you go into your Solution Explorer, find the HUD_Aimining.dds texture file under the Textures folder in the Content node and set its Content Processor to Texture under the File Properties. After a rebuild the issue will be resolved.

• 6/30/2008 1:49 PM In reply to

CoderDawson:
    Sorcerer:

The issue is that the Content Processor for the Texture is not set. If you go into your Solution Explorer, find the HUD_Aimining.dds texture file under the Textures folder in the Content node and set its Content Processor to Texture under the File Properties. After a rebuild the issue will be resolved.

Thanks, but I change the texture to TGA and it is working now. ;)

• 6/30/2008 3:07 PM In reply to

Baltico X:

Me too.

I've tried importing the fbx files on 3D studio max 2008 with standard setting but the result was a scene with some lines...

Any tips?

I've also tried to generate a model with the required objects ("top", "GunDummy" ...) but the application display some strange artifacts on the screen for some seconds before the crash...

Some contents tutorials will be very appreciated :)

Marte

P.S. The game is fantastic :)

• 6/30/2008 6:21 PM In reply to

I agree, this so called mini-game is amazing! Calling it a mini-game does not do it justice.

I was able to get weapons to load with a lot of trial and error using XSI Modtool. I'm sure 3D Studio will work as well since from what I can tell the models were created in it anyway.

Here is what I did:
    1.  I created the weapon and added it to Content along with its texture map(excluded from build) (Make sure WeaponPointDummy->GunDummy Nodes are included and geometry is a child of WeaponPointDummy)
    2.  I then copied the PlayerShotgun.spec in content\data\players\.. and created my own and referenced my model in the new file.
    3. Then last thing was to replace the lines referenceing PlayerShotgun.spec with NewGun.spec(whatever you call it) in Content/Data/Stage/FirstStage.spec

One thing that I should mention is that I kept running into a problem where the game would hang on resources loading for some odd reason and then after doing a Rebuild All things started to work again. This has happened a few times now and I'm not sure if it something wrong with my machine or the project itself but I have exluded RobotGameData and Processors and things appear to be behaving a little better now.

Hope this helps,
    John

• 7/2/2008 1:32 PM In reply to

Marte:

Baltico X:

Me too.

Me too!!!!!

• 7/8/2008 10:11 PM In reply to

Animated FBX models.

Any word on when information about implementing custom models and animations will show up?

As far as I can tell it looks like animations are not included in the fbx model files found in RobotGame\Content\Mech\Players and Enemies. (When I import these FBXs in to 3DS Max, it says there are no animations.)  The animation files themselves look like xml files so maybe there is an animation exporter\extractor somewhere which outputs these files specifically.

Looking at the naming convention on the skeletons, the FBX models seems to be pretty standard character studio bipeds from 3DS Max.  I wonder if this means we'll have to write our own xml animation exporter for our 3D package of choice.  This would be kind of lame since using an FBX file just to transport geometry data seems wrong somehow.  I mean, the whole point of having FBXs is so one can transport animations seemlessly from one 3D package to another...

But, at least one can look at the format of the xml file so it's not completely impossible to write an exporter.  Then again, if it were possible for the game's FBX importer to import in the animation as well there wouldn't be a need to write an exporter for different 3D packages.

• 7/9/2008 5:54 AM In reply to

Re: Animated FBX models.

I'm not even sure if anyone's looking at this thread anymore but I suppose some people might find what I found useful so I'll keep posting...

So, I've spent the good part of the afternoon and evening dissecting the FBX files the models reside in.  As far as I can tell, the FBX files seems to have been edited by hand or who ever put this sucker together has some way of tagging meshes with custom properties such as calling out normal maps and specular maps which isn't included with the sample game.  If these properties are not named correctly in the FBX files the asset won't build so the game won't even start.

So, I've been looking for a way to add custom attributes to meshes and have it spit out the correct Property string in the FBX file from 3DS Max but it's a no go so far.  Trying to add new custom attributes actually messes up the attributes completely because it doubles up so it's like one's adding custom attributes to the custom attributes node.  I did find a way to get rid of these using maxscript but why it's not possible to just get rid of stuff in the trackview is beyond me.  One good thing is that the FBX model files are ASCII! YAY!  Cudos for that for sure.  But, if no easy way is found to attach the proper "Property" line to the FBX file, then I may have to look in to editing the pipeline on the game side to pass in the information some other way.

Oh, and there seems to be a spelling mistake in one of the normal calls in the player model which means a part of the player model may not be getting the proper normal map treatment.

• 7/9/2008 6:09 AM In reply to

Re: Animated FBX models.

A quick word about FBX export out of 3ds Max.  According to the official "3ds Max FBX Plug-in (2009.1) User Guide" FBX export plug-in for 3ds Max is unable to export any custom properties from 3DS Max that would end up as type "enum" in an FBX file.  Hell, it can't even export out text strings.  So, how did who ever put the FBX assets together for the models get the line " Property: "NormalMap", "Enum", "A+U",0, "Texture_Mark_Nomal.dds" " in their FBX files?

It would be nice if someone from the development team could shed some light on this situation...

Page 2 of 6 (140 posts) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » Previous Discussion Next Discussion