Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 14 (342 posts) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

Role-Playing Game Starter Kit - Main Discussion Thread

Last post 8/15/2012 5:51 AM by Jim Perry. 341 replies.
  • 5/20/2008 3:22 AM

Role-Playing Game Starter Kit - Main Discussion Thread

Tell the XNA GS and Community team what you think of the new RPG starter kit. We'd love to hear your thoughts and how you are extending it!

You can find the starter kit here.

6/25:  The starter kit has been updated.  Find more information later in this thread, in this post.

• 5/20/2008 3:37 AM In reply to

Re: RPG Starter Kit

The RPG starter kit is great right out of the box!

I can't wait to make my own modifications!

• 5/20/2008 6:55 PM In reply to

Noooooo! I had another project I wanted to do first! But now... thanks to you guys.. I have to go play around and make a rpg.. ugh... The nerve! Distracting me from wasting my time on other projects! sheesh!

Oh, and umm, RPG Starter kit looks absolutely wonderful so far. I just read through the tutorial on adding a quest, but I haven't delved into the source yet! I kow this is one of the starter kits I wanted though, so kudos to those who designed this for us!

• 5/20/2008 9:07 PM In reply to

Could someone change the web page to display the size of the development kits??
  • 5/20/2008 9:11 PM In reply to

Sakamura:
    Could someone change the web page to display the size of the development kits??

It's about 90,4 MB

Btw, any mapeditor? :o

• 5/20/2008 9:38 PM In reply to

Rotab:

Btw, any mapeditor? :o

Not directly, but there are tile-editing tools out there.
  • 5/20/2008 11:00 PM In reply to

Finaly a proper starter, kit none of that racing action shenanigans.
  • 5/21/2008 1:10 AM In reply to

There is a known issue when moving the thumbstick in a narrow window of time as the last player's combat engine completes. 

You can find the details, including a temporary fix, here.  No ETA on a new version.

• 5/21/2008 1:14 AM In reply to

Anyone else have troubles installing? I have 2.0 and 3.0 installed, downloaded and ran the installer.. twice.. The RPG game does not show up under create in either version. Ive clicked both vis c# and xna game studio to make sure it wasnt just hidden somewhere, but its just not showing.. \

Interesting:

Just found out it dumped it into the visual studio 2008 templates folder, instead of the 2005 folder. After manually copying the files to the 2005 folder it shows up.. installer bug? or does 2008 overwrite some registry values the installer looks up to find the install directory?

• 5/21/2008 1:46 AM In reply to

Cdxrd:
    Anyone else have troubles installing? I have 2.0 and 3.0 installed, downloaded and ran the installer.. twice.. The RPG game does not show up under create in either version. Ive clicked both vis c# and xna game studio to make sure it wasnt just hidden somewhere, but its just not showing.. \

Interesting:

Just found out it dumped it into the visual studio 2008 templates folder, instead of the 2005 folder. After manually copying the files to the 2005 folder it shows up.. installer bug? or does 2008 overwrite some registry values the installer looks up to find the install directory?

That is a known issue with all of our VSIs (starter kit installers) and Visual Studio 2008.  We are working on a proper description of the problem for the site.

• 5/21/2008 1:48 AM In reply to

I cannot install the starter kit. It comes up with an error saying "String cannot have zero length", and it doesn't do anything.

I have Visual Studio 2005 Professional, Visual C# 2008 Express, GSE 1.0 Refresh, GSE 2.0, GSE 3.0.

• 5/21/2008 4:21 AM In reply to

A quick search for the error message you received shows the following results. Perhaps one of those will help you.

• 5/21/2008 1:43 PM In reply to

This is a great starter kit.  It's great to see one way of organizing an RPG.

I have one question though.

I was reviewing the code, and I came across a statement in the InputManger::ResetActionMaps() method (line 726) that doesn't quite make sense to me:

actionMaps = new ActionMap[(int)(int)Action.TotalActionCount];

What's the purpose for doing the double int cast?  I can understand the reason for doing a single cast but not two.  Is this a typo?

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

• 5/21/2008 2:59 PM In reply to

I was really excited about this but I don't know if I like it. There are a few issues with collision and what not. For example if you are heading straight down toward an object such as a sign, you stop a little before it. If you walk to the side of it and then over, you can get closer to where you should be.

Also, in the very beginning when you first start, if you go all the way to the left or right, your shadow appears above the trees. Plus if your standing right in front of something but not facing it, you can't turn to face it (This is an easy fix I would imagine). The only other complaint I have is that when you want to interact with somebody or something, you just run right into them instead of pressing a button.

All and all it is very good. Definitely something to work with.

Thanks for this release guys.
  • 5/21/2008 3:13 PM In reply to

I too am having trouble with the RPG Starter kit. I ran the installer but it doesn't show up in the project templates. I did find it in the Visual 2008 Express template directory and I copied it to my 2005 template folder, but the starter kit still doesn't show up.

Any  ideas?

Thanks

• 5/21/2008 7:11 PM In reply to

David Hunt:

A quick search for the error message you received shows the following results. Perhaps one of those will help you.

Thanks, that worked.

• 5/21/2008 8:16 PM In reply to

theDOTT:

I was reviewing the code, and I came across a statement in the InputManger::ResetActionMaps() method (line 726) that doesn't quite make sense to me:

actionMaps = new ActionMap[(int)(int)Action.TotalActionCount];

What's the purpose for doing the double int cast?  I can understand the reason for doing a single cast but not two.  Is this a typo?

It's a typo.

• 5/21/2008 9:41 PM In reply to

Edit: I'm being too cynical I suppose, thanks for the kit guys.
  • 5/22/2008 9:57 AM In reply to

This kit was created to demonstrate basic RPG functionality, not to be a particularly great or optimised game. Think of it as a template to show you one way of implementing basic RPG features. Study it, use parts of it, extend it, it's all up to you.

I, for one, haven't had this much fun since Nick did his 2D Tile Game tutorials. Thanks XNA team!

Cheers,

Tim

• 5/22/2008 1:03 PM In reply to

GoDFaDDa:

It's a typo.

Thanks for the confirmation on it being less arcane than I was thinking.

• 5/22/2008 9:56 PM In reply to

Whenever I flee a battle I get an exception.

"There is no active combat at this time."

Somebody didn't debug properly.  ;)

• 5/23/2008 7:06 PM In reply to

This is awesome.  I love seeing how they've implemented certain things.  This will definitely help me.

• 5/23/2008 11:03 PM In reply to

i've got an error too, it says, this template has tried to load an untrusted component 'Microsoft.xna.gamestudio, version 2.0.0.0
  • 5/24/2008 4:16 PM In reply to

xxJoesusxx:
    i've got an error too, it says, this template has tried to load an untrusted component 'Microsoft.xna.gamestudio, version 2.0.0.0

I've been able to get the kit to work with VS 2008 and XNA 3. These are the steps:

1. install the vsi

2. go to the  ..\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\XNA Game Studio 2.0 folder. There will be a zip file RolePlayingGameWindows.zip

3. Copy/extract the contents of the zip to some temporary folder

4. In each of the subfolders, edit the .vstemplate and the .csproj files with notepad.

4.1. For each of these files, search for XNA, and when you find it, see if there is a version 2 indicator (e.g., <Assembly>Microsoft.Xna.GameStudio, Version=3.0.0.0 ...), and replace the 2 with 3. Some files have multiple things you have to change.

4.2. Save the changes

5. In the RolePlayingGame\Content subfolder edit the Content.contentproj file in Notepad. Do the same thing as in step 4.

6. Make a new zip file with the same name (RolePlayingGameWindows.zip) and put all the content you unzipped (which includes the editted files) into this zip file. You now have a replacement zip for the file you copied in step 2.

7. Replace the file in step 2 with the file you made in step 6.

8. Start VS 2008, create a new project, and go back to the XNA Game Studio 2.0 node and choose the Role Playing Game starter kit. It should all work. It worked for me.

Thanks for the great starter kit!!

• 5/24/2008 11:47 PM In reply to

I'm assuming this works in Windows Vista.  I've tried reinstalling VS C# Express 2005 along with XNA 2.0.  Whenever i click on "new project" I dont see the starter kit as an option to select.  The zipped file is located here:  ...\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\

I'm assuming this is correct since it was installed here.  Any ideas?

Brent Strandy

Page 1 of 14 (342 posts) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » Previous Discussion Next Discussion