Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (17 posts)

XNA development on a Win 8 PC

Last post 11/26/2013 5:56 PM by Aaron Stebner. 16 replies.
  • 10/23/2012 7:09 PM

XNA development on a Win 8 PC

Hi All,

I did a quick search on the forums and couldn't find much about Win 8.

I'm thinking of getting a new PC soon and as Win 8 is out at the end of this week I was wondering if the XNA SDK, C# Express and all the tools run on Win 8. Will the Device Centre and Performance Monitor connect to my 360? Has anyone been able to test this and have any info about this?

Thanks.
  • 10/23/2012 7:25 PM In reply to

Re: XNA development on a Win 8 PC

Of what I know, all games made with xna will run on windows 8.
  • 10/31/2012 5:29 AM In reply to

Yes, you can install and use XNA Game Studio on Windows 8 to develop games for the Xbox 360.  You will likely run into an installation issue, but the workaround in this blog post should fix that for you.

Let us know if you run into any issues.

Thanks!
  • 10/31/2012 1:03 PM In reply to

Aaron,

Last night I installed the Windows Phone 8 SDK on my Windows 8 Pro partition and it hosed the XNA 4.0 game I was working on(in Visual Studio 2010).

At runtime, on StorageDevice, I was calling either BeginShowSelector or BeginOpenContainer (One of the two I can't remember which) and it was throwing some kind of exception.  I don't remember the exception message verbatim but I do recall it saying something there was something wrong with the Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage assembly.

So I uninstalled Windows Phone 8 SDK and then it wouldn't even compile.  Says XnaNative.dll was missing.  I looked in Common->Microsoft Shared->XNA and it wasn't there.  Uninstalled Game Studio 4.0 then reinstalled as Admin.  Still no compile.  Grabbed the XnaNative.dll from my Windows 7 partition and put it there.  Checked permissions on the XNA directory and tried to compile again.  No luck.

I moved back to using my Windows 7 partition and things are working fine there.  I'll be fine on the Windows 7 partition for the time being but you may want to check to see if there are any conflicts with Game Studio 4.0 and Windows Phone 8 SDK installed on Windows 8 Pro.

Thanks,

Matt
  • 10/31/2012 1:48 PM In reply to

As of right now, I'm not aware of any problems using XNA Game Studio 4.0 on the same computer as the Windows Phone SDK 8.0.  It is possible that there is some kind of issue that we missed though.  What type of game were you working on when you saw the storage exception, and what was the exact exception text?

There is a problem with the uninstall process for the Windows Phone SDK 8.0 removing files that are needed by XNA Game Studio 4.0.  After uninstalling the Windows Phone SDK 8.0, you'll need to repair XNA Game Studio 4.0.  If you try to uninstall + re-install, that will leave behind the XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 and not try to re-install it, and that is the package that includes xnanative.dll.  I haven't tried yet, but it might be enough to simply repair the XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 instead of repairing the full XNA Game Studio 4.0 product.

Thanks!
  • 10/31/2012 2:48 PM In reply to

I was working on an XNA 4.0 x86 project on HiDef profile.  I don't recall the exact exception text. I do recall there was next to nothing in online searches matching up to it (any matches were .Net framework assembly related, none showing XNA specific assemblies).

After I can get the repair done, assuming it will fix the compile issue, I'll run the game tonight to see if the exception continues to happen.

I'll test pre-phone 8 SDK and post phone 8 SDK install and let you know what I find.

The information you provided on the Phone 8 SDK uninstall is quite helpful.
  • 10/31/2012 9:29 PM In reply to

Alright, I did the repair and am able to compile now.  I ran the game and got the same error.  Here is a copy of the exception details.  I replaced file locations and propriety information with the term Ommited.

System.TypeInitializationException was unhandled
      HResult=-2146233036
      Message=The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage.StorageDevice' threw an exception.
      Source=Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage
      TypeName=Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage.StorageDevice
      StackTrace:
           at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage.StorageDevice.BeginShowSelector(AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
           at Ommited.GetStorageDeviceScreen.Update(GameTime gameTime, Boolean otherScreenHasFocus, Boolean coveredByOtherScreen) in C:\Ommited\GetStorageDeviceScreen.cs:line 58
           at Ommited.ScreenManager.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\Ommited\ScreenManager.cs:line 119
           at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Update(GameTime gameTime)
           at Ommited.OmmitedGame.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\Ommited\OmmitedGame.cs:line 307
           at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
           at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
           at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
           at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
           at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
           at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
           at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
           at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
           at Ommited.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Ommited\Program.cs:line 16
      InnerException: System.TypeLoadException
           HResult=-2146233054
           Message=Could not load type 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.FrameworkDispatcherLinker' from assembly 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=842cf8be1de50553'.
           Source=Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage
           TypeName=Microsoft.Xna.Framework.FrameworkDispatcherLinker
           StackTrace:
                at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage.StorageDevice..cctor()
           InnerException:
  • 11/2/2012 12:56 AM In reply to

I've seen this error a couple of times with Kodu users and each time we were able to fix it by re-installing the XNA redist.  In your case, since this is your dev machine you may need to reinstall all of XNA.
  • 11/2/2012 2:04 AM In reply to

Just wanted to reaffirm what's already in this thread.
    * started with a Win8 Pro laptop (it's an Alienware M14X upgraded from Win7 to Win8)
    * installed XNA Game Studio 4.0 (VS2010 Express) 
    * had to install Games for Windows Live to get it to work
    * able to run my XNA projects with no issues
    * can also deploy to my Xbox 360

Something extra:
    * also installed VS2012 Premium
    * used MonoGame to build a "Metro" app from XNA code (using XNB files to feed the Content Pipeline)
    * built the project on my Win8 machine and ran it as a Metro app (on my Win8 machine)
    * deployed this wirelessly to my SurfaceRT tablet (VERY buggy process, wireless deployment fails often for no apparent reason)
    * got the deployment to work by various methods (restart Remote Debugger on tablet, reboot tablet, etc)
    * HOWEVER, the deployed app on my tablet crashes even on a simple Content.Load<>() call
    * Note that the load works fine if I debug or run the Metro app on my Win8 laptop
    * Also, normal Metro apps build and run fine on my tablet (including C#/XAML, C++/DirectX, HTML/JavaScript)

I didn't have any other issue mentioned by other posters, but hopefully you can reinstall XNA to make it work properly.

~OnekSoft Games

p.s. the Stack Trace for the Content.Load fail is below:

MonoGame.Framework.Windows8.DLL!Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset<Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D>(string assetName, System.Action<System.IDisposable> recordDisposableObject) Line 316 C#
    MonoGame.Framework.Windows8.DLL!Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load<Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D>(string assetName) Line 212 C#
    Game1.exe!Game1.Game1.LoadContent() Line 44 C#
    MonoGame.Framework.Windows8.DLL!Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Initialize() Line 542 C#
    Game1.exe!Game1.Game1.Initialize() Line 31 C#
    MonoGame.Framework.Windows8.DLL!Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoInitialize() Line 665 C#
    MonoGame.Framework.Windows8.DLL!Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameRunBehavior runBehavior) Line 393 C#
    MonoGame.Framework.Windows8.DLL!Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run() Line 383 C#
    MonoGame.Framework.Windows8.DLL!Microsoft.Xna.Framework.MetroFrameworkView<Game1.Game1>.Run() Line 55 C#

• 11/2/2012 6:45 PM In reply to

If it's crashing on your SurfaceRT then this is more likely a MonoGame problem, not an XNA problem.  You might have better luck asking for help there.
  • 11/3/2012 3:05 AM In reply to

InfiniteInstant:
    I've seen this error a couple of times with Kodu users and each time we were able to fix it by re-installing the XNA redist.  In your case, since this is your dev machine you may need to reinstall all of XNA.

I was finally able to get things back in order.

I had to:

1. Run the XNA redist and perform a full uninstall.
    2. Run a full XNA Game Studio Install.

That is the only combination that worked.

Hopefully this will help anyone else if they have the same problem.

• 11/3/2012 4:38 AM In reply to

I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve this issue.  I'll publish a blog post about this scenario in the near future to help raise visibility in case others run into similar problems in the future.

Thanks!
  • 11/3/2012 5:53 AM In reply to

Aaron Stebner:
    I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve this issue.  I'll publish a blog post about this scenario in the near future to help raise visibility in case others run into similar problems in the future.

Thanks!

Sounds good.  If I get some down time tomorrow I'll try installing the Windows Phone 8 SDK to see if it happens again.
  • 11/3/2012 6:50 PM In reply to

Alright, so I installed the Phone 8 SDK and received the same exception again so there is in fact a conflict between Visual Studio 2010 XNA Game Studio 4.0 and Windows Phone 8 SDK for me.

I even tried following the steps above to see if a "refresh" for Game Studio 4.0 would make the two compatible but had no success.

I ended up having to uninstall the Phone 8 SDK and repeat the refresh steps above to get things working again.

Note:  I've had Visual Studio 2012 and basic Windows 8 development working fine for months so that seems to be safe.
  • 6/21/2013 8:43 AM In reply to

Barkers Crest Studio:
    InfiniteInstant:

I was finally able to get things back in order.

I had to:

1. Run the XNA redist and perform a full uninstall.
    2. Run a full XNA Game Studio Install.

That is the only combination that worked.

Hopefully this will help anyone else if they have the same problem.

I got the same issue. Thanks for the solution.
  • 11/26/2013 3:29 PM In reply to

Aaron Stebner:
    Yes, you can install and use XNA Game Studio on Windows 8 to develop games for the Xbox 360.  You will likely run into an installation issue, but the workaround in this blog post should fix that for you.

Let us know if you run into any issues.

Thanks!

The only issue I have encountered is when I unpack peoples projects to review them the un-packer crashes on larger game usually over say 250MB-300MB. It will hang at 85%-95% then crap out on the PC with an unexpected error. On the Xbox side it will say it lost the connection, obviously. Has anyone else reported this? I running Windows 8 Professional x64bit.
  • 11/26/2013 5:56 PM In reply to

I haven't heard of this issue being reported on Windows 8 yet.  Does the error dialog give you the chance to try to debug and get a callstack?  Do you see any errors/warnings reported in the Application Event Log when this happens?

Thanks!  Aaron
Page 1 of 1 (17 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion