Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (14 posts)

Realtime HLSL 2D pixel shader editor

Last post 3/25/2017 11:30 PM by Cabrill. 13 replies.
  • 7/23/2011 2:13 PM

Realtime HLSL 2D pixel shader editor

Hello,

I recently made a realtime HLSL pixel shader editor for XNA 4. It allows you to load a texture and then write a shader for it. The shader recompiles and applies itself as you type, so it's much more efficient than recompiling.

A short video:

Download link:

• 7/26/2011 4:08 AM In reply to

Re: Realtime HLSL 2D pixel shader editor

Nice, it looks pretty cool.  I'll check it out in the morning.

Also, if my eyes don't decieve me, that is the Medic from Team Fortress 2, correct?

If it is:  I'll be downloading it solely for that.

If it isn't:  I'll still be downloading it, but be slightly disappointed in my eyesight.
  • 7/26/2011 2:48 PM In reply to

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /experimentalists/PixelShaderEditor.rar on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache mod_fcgid/2.3.6 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at foxprods.net Port 80
  • 7/26/2011 11:42 PM In reply to

Stainless:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /experimentalists/PixelShaderEditor.rar on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache mod_fcgid/2.3.6 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at foxprods.net Port 80

Sorry about that! It's been amended, you can now download it. And yes, it is the medic from TF2, although that is not included in the program ;)
  • 7/27/2011 10:24 AM In reply to

I can confirm the download and the app now work

One thing I would say though, custom variables should be floats. You have them as int's. (the step is an integer)

Obviously you can work around this, but it's a bit of a pain.

Otherwise very nice

• 1/3/2012 1:46 PM In reply to

link not working anymore :/
  • 1/25/2012 7:35 PM In reply to

Indeed it is not. I'd love to give this tool a shot, it looks super-useful, kudos to the author.

I'll try sending him a message about it.
  • 3/10/2012 4:57 PM In reply to

I've fixed the download link in the original post.
  • 3/14/2012 12:50 AM In reply to

Just started working on something like this to keep me occupied during the time while I'm unable to afford a new power supply for my good PC. Built mine upon WPF using AvalonEdit for syntax highlighting, auto-complete, block-folding, and all those other awesome features we take for granted in VS. Took about half a day alone coming up with the regex patterns for syntax highlighting support, but it's really starting to shape up.

However this is holding me back:

The problem is that no matter was fx profile I compile for, XNA's effect just doesn't recognize that it is indeed a compiled effect. In this particular case I used all the same settings XNA's effect processor uses, yet it's still not good enough. Anyone have an idea on how to process the compiled byte code so that it complies with XNA4? I'd really hate to drag the content pipeline into this, that'd just add unnecessary slowdown to the live compilation process.
  • 3/16/2012 1:52 AM In reply to

Gave up on using XNA4 for this, was actually easier to fix all the problems AvalonEdit had with C# 3.5.

First Alpha

Currently it's just overriding the effect used for the sprite batch. Being based on XNA3.1 you can mix and match shader profiles.
    You can double click an error or warning to have it take you to the line it occurred on.

It only passes two (optional) effect parameters currently:
    - float2 TextureSize will be set to { Texture2D.Width, Texture2D.Height }
    - float ElapsedTime will be set to GameTime.ElapsedGameTime.TotalSeconds

Plans:
    - Proper #include support.
    - Parameter detection via DXSAS.
    - Those squigly lines under text like VS does for errors and warnings (the editor supports it, just no rules installed).
    - Auto-complete for intrinsic and user-defined functions and parameters.
    - Visual difference graphs to see what parts of the image a change to the shader affects.
    - 3D model loading.

Likely a few bugs that'll cause it to crash, I'm really sleepy right now and was only concerned with getting it up and running before heading to bed.

Almost forgot, screenshot of it running a simple blur shader that exploits the linear texture sampler:

• 4/30/2012 8:48 AM In reply to

I get a: System.IO.FileNotFoundException

When trying to run the program. It happens after the main screen is visible and then just closes; shame because this looks really interesting.
  • 10/6/2012 1:54 PM In reply to

This was a great resource, but unfortunately, the link is broken again.
  • 3/24/2015 8:04 PM In reply to

I have this if anyone is interested in me re-uploading it. It's incredibly useful.
  • 3/25/2017 11:30 PM In reply to

Rusty Gear Games:
    I have this if anyone is interested in me re-uploading it. It's incredibly useful.
    I would love to have a copy, if you don't mind.  Email it to me?  My forum name at Gmail.
Page 1 of 1 (14 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion