Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (4 posts)

Question about SIMD and Generational Garbage Collection in XNA 4.0 Refresh

Last post 7/7/2011 2:23 PM by Konaju Games. 3 replies.
  • 7/7/2011 1:53 PM

Question about SIMD and Generational Garbage Collection in XNA 4.0 Refresh

The notes for XNA 4.0 Refresh state:

"SIMD (Single Instruction Multiple Data) support has been introduced for XNA vector and matrix types, providing significant performance advantages."

Which platform(s) does this apply to?

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere specifically relating to NEON support in phones, but does it apply to PC and 360 as well?

The notes also mention generational garbage collection.  Is this for phone or 360 or both?

Thanks!
  • 7/7/2011 2:15 PM In reply to

Re: Question about SIMD and Generational Garbage Collection in XNA 4.0 Refresh

Answer
    Reply Quote
    Both of these features for Windows Phone.
  • 7/7/2011 2:16 PM In reply to

Bummer, thanks!

It would be amazing if we could get SIMD for PC and 360 and better garbage collection for 360.

I think the garbage collector is one of the major stumbling blocks for new XNA 360 devs, there's always a ton of posts about stutter.
  • 7/7/2011 2:23 PM In reply to

I believe it is currently for Windows Phone only.  See this blog post for more details.

I believe generational GC is also for phone only.  See this blog post for more details.

Edit: Took so long to reply the conversation happened beneath me. :/
Page 1 of 1 (4 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion