Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (7 posts)

Best Software to Use

Last post 12/28/2014 6:24 PM by Tarh Ik. 6 replies.
  • 4/24/2011 1:36 AM

Best Software to Use

While I am trying to create a game using low budget or free royalty free software, the following is what I have come up with so far for a 3D game.

1. XNA and Sunburn for the Engine

2. Blender using FBX Models.

3. Inkscape for creating Textures for use with Blender/Sunburn.

4. Gimp for manipulation of Texture and uv mapping files.

Q2 (a)

Are Inkscape and Gimp the best free software with a royalty free licence I can use to create materials for uv mapping fbx models in Blender?

Q2 (b)

Sound Effects / Music

1. A sound creation software package to create custom sound effects/music for a game (Low budget and royalty free).
    2. Purchase low budget royalty free sound effects / music for a game.
    3. Search the web for free royalty free sound effects for a game, if so any good sites.

Which of the above is the best option for sound or are there any other options?

Q2 (c)

Is there any other category of software I am missing disregarding all of the above mentioned, that I should be including in my arsenal to complete a proper 3D game.

• 5/10/2011 8:53 PM In reply to

Re: Best Software to Use

Most of the software above mentioned is quite good. However what makes the difference is WHO uses it. Are you familiar with 3d modelling, sound design and drawing ?!!?

For sound and music i recommend you to take a look at this thread:

http://xboxforums.create.msdn.com/forums/p/82292/496584.aspx#496584
  • 5/11/2011 9:11 PM In reply to

Gimp is great.  You could also try Paint.NET and decide which suits you better.

For sounds here are some urls culled from another thread:

www.Soundrangers.com

www.soundsnap.com

www.freesound.org

www.soundbible.com

• 9/5/2011 6:35 AM In reply to

Regarding sound, then you can use Audacity which is a really good freeware sound editor.
    You can also get soundeffects from the freesound project and sound bible (google them).
  • 8/21/2012 11:02 AM In reply to

Hi sorry to bring up old thread , but it might be usefull.

I was searching many days and weeks for software free or low cost for my development. What i found is this:

Game Music:  Presonus Studio 1 free   OR Magix Music Studio Silver free   OR  Sony Acid Xpress.  All of them are free and very good.

For 3D Modeling i found  SILO 2.2 is the best choice for modeling assets and the price is $119. For Rigging and animation There are two good choices. Blender free OR Messiah Studio 5. Which is $119.

For Image editing i found  Artweaver free because it save TGA files as 24 and 32 bit , Gimp wont give you this option!!! You will have to add alpha channel to your texture to be sure it is 32 bit. And after that u dont even know if it is compressed or not.

So Artweaver and paint net. + MINDTEX  for creating normal maps, ambient oclusion maps etc. the price of MindTex is $14.

For pure audio editing i would use Sony Acid Xpress , mentioned above. its free.

For video Editing i would use Magix video edit Silver. Its free promotion.

For uv mapping i dont use silo but i use Roadkill 1.1. its free standalone uv mapper.

hope u found this helpfull.

regards Echo

• 12/24/2014 9:09 AM In reply to

There's not a program on the market that will let you create SFX... at least not with good quality

Theres FM synthesizers, but they will sound crappy/retro (arcade-8bit)..

The best thing would be to look in license free sfx libraryes, or buy a videogame sfx library that adjust to your needs/the style..
  • 12/28/2014 6:24 PM In reply to

Hi everibody!!!

For music, I used DirectMusic Producer. It is free, and comes included in the DirectX SDK 9. It's an outstanding program!!!!

For sound effects, I use a microphone. That was $12.00 usd. I also use windows movie maker to clean it and edit it.

For 3D modeling, I use Excel and Notepad. Excel is expensive, but chances are, you mos likely already own a copy of this software. About Notepad, I also use it to create shaders.

I hope it helps!!!

Tarh ik
    Ps: This posting hs been posted AS IS

Page 1 of 1 (7 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion