Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (6 posts)

XNA game won't run on other computers

Last post 9/3/2017 3:46 PM by Jonathan Herren. 5 replies.
  • 2/8/2011 3:18 AM

XNA game won't run on other computers

Hey, My XNA game won't run on other computers. I have made sure they have a GPU that supports PS 2.0+, they have installed the .NET 4 framework from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569263.aspx and the XNA 4.0 framework from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=53867a2a-e249-4560-8011-98eb3e799ef2&displaylang=en. I tried the bit of code which is suggested in the FAQ section and no error message pops up other than the usual " has had an error and needed to close. Send an error report." When I use the OneClick install package it gives this error: "Unable to install or run the application. The application requires that assembly Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch Version 4.0.0.0 be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first." Also, the Setup file in the OneClick application opened a install window for the XNA 4.0 framework suggesting that it is already installed and you could repair or remove it. I tried "repair" and it still does not work. I have even uninstalled the XNA framework and reinstalled it. I don't use and Live components or the GamerServicesCompnent. Any ideas as to a way I can fix this? The game runs perfectly on the computer it was programmed on. Thanks, --Sam
  • 2/8/2011 3:42 AM In reply to

Re: XNA game won't run on other computers

Sam Maxwell:
    Hey, My XNA game won't run on other computers.

How many "other computers" have you tried?

If it's just the one, and you've tried every 'fix' you can find, then you may have a corrupt GAC.

Does said computer come with 'recovery' software?
    Or may 'recovery' software have been used on it?

(that's the prime candidate, in my book, for GAC corruption)

The GAC (whilst good at its job) is nigh-on impossible to fix when it breaks.

Completely uninstalling ALL versions of the .Net and XNA frameworks, clearing out any remnants in the GAC (try a google search for details), rebooting, and then doing a complete install of ALL versions of the .Net and XNA frameworks, might work (but, that's a stab in the dark).

The simplest solution, if it is indeed a corrupt GAC, would probably be a complete reinstall of Windows and everything else.
  • 2/8/2011 4:56 AM In reply to

I have tried two computers and both produce the same results. I'll try clearing out the GAC tomorrow on one of them (I can't on the other). I do not believe any recovery software has been used on either computer. Thanks for the help.
  • 2/8/2011 9:56 PM In reply to

By default, XNA games should be configured to include the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and the XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 as prerequisites.  You can double-check that this is the case for your game by opening your game in Visual Studio 2010, right-clicking on it in the VS solution explorer, choosing Properties, clicking on the Publish tab, clicking on the Prerequisites button and looking at which items are checked in that list.  If either of these are not checked, please re-check them and re-publish your game to see if that helps.

If you've already got the XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 on your target computer, it is possible that it is a pre-release version - the ClickOnce package for the XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 doesn't distinguish between pre-release builds and the final RTW build.  If that is the case, it should help to uninstall the version of the XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 on your target computer and then re-run the ClickOnce setup.exe and let it re-install it for you.

Thanks!
  • 2/9/2011 6:43 AM In reply to

I figured it out! Not quite what Aaron said, but close. Apparently I still had the Beta version of XNA 4.0. I uninstalled the Beta from my computer and installed the more recent version and when I published the game off of that it worked perfectly on the other computers. Thanks for the help.
  • 9/3/2017 3:46 PM In reply to

I had the same problem. I found that i had some file I/O that was referring to a file that did not exist on the other computers. Fixed those and the game works fine now.
Page 1 of 1 (6 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion