Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (10 posts)

Problem with BloomPostprocessing sample

Last post 12/29/2007 2:46 PM by Miguez. 9 replies.
  • 12/27/2007 12:51 PM

Problem with BloomPostprocessing sample

Hi all,

New here, nice to meet all of you.

Just starting with XNA, I was trying to run the BuildPostprocessing sample for XNA 2.0, which I have running in VS C# Express 2005 and got the following error:

Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException was unhandled
    Message="Error loading \"BloomExtract\". File not found."
    Source="Microsoft.Xna.Framework"

I got the same problem with another sample, the Shatter Effect, where the first thing that is loaded, the Tank model, could not be found.  I don't believe this is a path problem, as I even used explicit paths, but it seems that even though it was pointing to the right folder (I clicked on "View detail..." on the exception and checked the path the code was looking for), the tank filename the code looked for was tank.xnb, where I only had a tank.fxb in the directory from the original download.

I tried searching for this problem here, but it seems the search is not narrowed down to this XNA Creator's Club forum, but goes to all MS forums.  I tried several keywords and did not find anything.

Thanks for the help!

• 12/27/2007 2:03 PM In reply to

Re: Problem with BloomPostprocessing sample

That's very strange. This is just running the samples by unzipping the project, loading the .sln file into C# Express, and hitting F5 to run them, right? (ie. you haven't changed the sample code in any way?)

What directory did you unzip the project into?
  • 12/27/2007 4:55 PM In reply to

Hi Shawn,

That's right.  Running Windows Vista SP1, unzipped to the User\Downloads directory, opened the .sln in C# Express, and hit F5.

• 12/27/2007 4:59 PM In reply to

What's the full path to your downloads directory?

I'm wondering if this could contain unusual Unicode characters that might somehow be causing a problem?
  • 12/27/2007 5:09 PM In reply to

C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\BloomPostprocessSample\BloomPostprocessSample to get to where the .sln file is.  The doubling of the name is because the original .zip was named BloomPostprocessSample, then it started with a folder of the same name.  I don't think that should be a problem, though.
  • 12/28/2007 12:49 PM In reply to

Weird. I have no idea what is going on here.

Could you try this to get some more data?
    • Go to "Tools / Options"
      • Check the "Show all settings" box
      • Open the "Projects and Solutions / Build and Run" tab
      • Set "MSBuild project build output verbosity" to Normal
    • Select "View / Output" to make sure the output pane is visible
    • Select "Build / Rebuild Solution"
    • Copy all the resulting text from the Output pane and post it here

Also, could you post a list of exactly what files you have in your bin/x86/Debug and bin/x86/Debug/Content folders?

Thanks!
  • 12/28/2007 1:20 PM In reply to

I've had a similar kind of problem after downloading some samples.

Choosing Rebuild all on the solution alwyas did the trick for me.

At my work i use delphi quite a lot. There i have the same issue sometimes. I know that's because when i say run and the compiler things nothing has changed it will just execute the exe file without really building anything. Build project in Delphi does the trick as well then.

Hope it helps!

• 12/28/2007 3:26 PM In reply to

Sample worked just fine for me - extracted from the zip, opened the solution and hit F5. No problems.
  • 12/29/2007 2:46 PM In reply to

Hi Shawn,

I am traveling all day today, so getting on the internet has not been easy.  Sorry for the delay.

Here it is:

------ Rebuild All started: Project: ShatterProcessor, Configuration: Debug x86 ------

Build started 12/29/2007 2:43:06 PM.

Target CoreClean:

Deleting file "C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterProcessor\bin\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.dll".

Deleting file "C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterProcessor\bin\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.pdb".

Deleting file "C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterProcessor\obj\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.dll".

Deleting file "C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterProcessor\obj\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.pdb".

Target CoreCompile:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Csc.exe /noconfig /nowarn:1701,1702 /platform:x86 /errorreport:prompt /warn:4 /define:DEBUG;TRACE /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v2.0\References\Windows\x86\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v2.0\References\Windows\x86\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v2.0\References\Windows\x86\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll" /reference:C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll /debug+ /debug:full /optimize- /out:obj\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.dll /target:library HelperClasses.cs Properties\AssemblyInfo.cs ShatterProcessor.cs

Compile complete -- 0 errors, 0 warnings

Target CopyFilesToOutputDirectory:

Copying file from "obj\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.dll" to "bin\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.dll".

ShatterProcessor -> C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterProcessor\bin\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.dll

Copying file from "obj\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.pdb" to "bin\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.pdb".

Build succeeded.

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.17

------ Skipped Rebuild All: Project: Content, Configuration: Debug x86 ------

Project not selected to build for this solution configuration

------ Rebuild All started: Project: ShatterEffectWindows, Configuration: Debug x86 ------

Build started 12/29/2007 2:43:06 PM.

Target CoreClean:

Deleting file "C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\bin\x86\Debug\ShatterEffect.exe".

Deleting file "C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\bin\x86\Debug\ShatterEffect.pdb".

Deleting file "C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\obj\x86\Debug\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.RuntimeProfile.txt".

Deleting file "C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\obj\x86\Debug\ShatterSample.obj.x86.Debug.Microsoft.Xna.Framework.RuntimeProfile.txt".

Deleting file "C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\obj\x86\Debug\ShatterEffect.exe".

Deleting file "C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\obj\x86\Debug\ShatterEffect.pdb".

Target _CopyNonResxEmbeddedResources:

Copying file from "obj\x86\Debug\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.RuntimeProfile.txt" to "obj\x86\Debug\ShatterSample.obj.x86.Debug.Microsoft.Xna.Framework.RuntimeProfile.txt".

Target CoreCompile:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Csc.exe /noconfig /nowarn:1701,1702 /nostdlib+ /platform:x86 /errorreport:prompt /warn:4 /define:DEBUG;TRACE /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v2.0\References\Windows\x86\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v2.0\References\Windows\x86\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll" /reference:C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorlib.dll /reference:C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll /debug+ /debug:full /optimize- /out:obj\x86\Debug\ShatterEffect.exe /resource:obj\x86\Debug\ShatterSample.obj.x86.Debug.Microsoft.Xna.Framework.RuntimeProfile.txt,Microsoft.Xna.Framework.RuntimeProfile /target:winexe /win32icon:Game.ico Properties\AssemblyInfo.cs ShatterEffectGame.cs

Target GetCopyToOutputDirectoryNestedProjectItems:

Copying file from "obj\x86\Debug\ShatterEffect.exe" to "bin\x86\Debug\ShatterEffect.exe".

ShatterEffectWindows -> C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\bin\x86\Debug\ShatterEffect.exe

Copying file from "obj\x86\Debug\ShatterEffect.pdb" to "bin\x86\Debug\ShatterEffect.pdb".

Build succeeded.

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.18

========== Rebuild All: 2 succeeded, 0 failed, 1 skipped ==========

I am noticing from this that the Content "project" did not get compiled.  What I find weird is that Content is not a separate project.  The onlyl two projects in this solution are ShatterEffectWindows and ShatterProcessor.

The files I have in bin/x86/Debug are:

• ShatterEffect.exe
    • ShatterEffect.pdb

I do not have a Content folder inside the Debug folder, probably because it is not compiling.

I looked through the text above, trying to find out more indications of where the problem lays, and could not.  I did right click the "Content" icon in the Solution Explorer and chose Rebuild, at which point I get one Error and some more text in the Output.  Here's the error:

Error 1 Errors compiling C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\Content\ShatterEffect.fx:
    C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\Content\ShatterEffect.fx(140): error X5612: Compiled shader code uses too many instruction slots (174). Max. allowed by the target (vs_1_1) is 128.
    C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\Content\ShatterEffect.fx(166): ID3DXEffectCompiler::CompileEffect: There was an error compiling expression
    ID3DXEffectCompiler: Compilation failed C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\Content\ShatterEffect.fx 140 1 Content

And here is the Output:

------ Rebuild All started: Project: ShatterProcessor, Configuration: Debug x86 ------

Build started 12/29/2007 2:42:15 PM.

Target CoreClean:

Deleting file "C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterProcessor\bin\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.dll".

Deleting file "C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterProcessor\bin\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.pdb".

Deleting file "C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterProcessor\obj\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.dll".

Deleting file "C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterProcessor\obj\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.pdb".

Target CoreCompile:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Csc.exe /noconfig /nowarn:1701,1702 /platform:x86 /errorreport:prompt /warn:4 /define:DEBUG;TRACE /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v2.0\References\Windows\x86\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v2.0\References\Windows\x86\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v2.0\References\Windows\x86\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll" /reference:C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll /debug+ /debug:full /optimize- /out:obj\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.dll /target:library HelperClasses.cs Properties\AssemblyInfo.cs ShatterProcessor.cs

Copying file from "obj\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.dll" to "bin\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.dll".

ShatterProcessor -> C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterProcessor\bin\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.dll

Copying file from "obj\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.pdb" to "bin\x86\Debug\ShatterProcessor.pdb".

Build succeeded.

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.18

------ Rebuild All started: Project: Content, Configuration: Debug x86 ------

Build started 12/29/2007 2:42:15 PM.

Target XNAContentClean:

Deleting content pipeline output files

Target CoreClean:

Deleting file "C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\Content\obj\x86\Debug\ResolveAssemblyReference.cache".

Target ResolveProjectReferences:

Target CoreCompile:

Rebuilding all content

Building ShatterEffect.fx -> bin\x86\Debug\ShatterEffect.xnb

Importing ShatterEffect.fx with Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.EffectImporter

Processing ShatterEffect.fx with Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.Processors.EffectProcessor

ShatterEffect.fx(140,1): error : Errors compiling C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\Content\ShatterEffect.fx:

ShatterEffect.fx(140,1): error : C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\Content\ShatterEffect.fx(140): error X5612: Compiled shader code uses too many instruction slots (174). Max. allowed by the target (vs_1_1) is 128.

ShatterEffect.fx(140,1): error : C:\Users\Fabio\Downloads\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\ShatterEffect\Content\ShatterEffect.fx(166): ID3DXEffectCompiler::CompileEffect: There was an error compiling expression

ShatterEffect.fx(140,1): error : ID3DXEffectCompiler: Compilation failed

Done building target "CoreCompile" in project "Content.contentproj" -- FAILED.

Done building project "Content.contentproj" -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

Time Elapsed 00:00:01.13

========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

I am doing all of this on a Dell XPS 1710 notebook, with a GeForce Go 7900 GTX.  Hopefully this will shine some light in whatever it is that is going wrong.

Thanks for the help!

• 12/30/2007 8:57 AM In reply to

Shawn,

I figured it out.  I am a little embarassed I didn't think of this before, but, well, I didn't...

I was using XNA 2.0 Beta.  I uninstalled, and installed XNA 2.0 final, and voila, everything is working.

I still have the Output of the problem I had when running the beta, I tried posting it here yesterday, but I don't see it, not sure if it because of moderation or not.  If for any reason you'd like to see it, let me know.

Thanks for the help guys, and hopefully this will serve as a reference for someone that might make the same mistake in the future.

Happy new year.

Page 1 of 1 (10 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion