Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (19 posts)

New SunBurn 2.0 Game Engine!

Last post 7/21/2011 2:54 PM by SilverMoonLight. 18 replies.
  • 12/13/2010 10:14 PM

New SunBurn 2.0 Game Engine!

We are very excited to announce the new SunBurn 2.0 Game Engine, a release that takes everything you know and love about SunBurn well beyond lighting and rendering. For months we've been adding game engine features to SunBurn including a collision system, world editor, component system, and much, much more.

Now the SunBurn 2.0 Game Engine is available and like every update it's completely free for SunBurn developers!

Go Mobile on Windows Phone 7

This release adds full Windows Phone 7 support, and allows you to build multi-platform games for Xbox, Windows, and Windows Phone 7, using the same assets, code, and API.

SunBurn 2.0 Game Engine is ready for primetime and already powering several games, including:

Salty Jim's Putt Putt Island

Developed internally by our gamedev team, Salty Jim's is a pirate themed 3D mini-golf game for Windows Phone 7 featuring detailed levels, collision, great lighting, and more.

UpAway

Developed by Munomic, UpAway is a 2.5D game for Windows Phone 7 where you race through levels flying a balloon to safety while trying to beat your previous times.

Develop for All XNA Platforms

SunBurn 2.0 opens up publishing of Xbox LIVE Indie Games and Windows Phone 7 games to all SunBurn Game Engine developers regardless of edition - this means everyone can now build and release games for Windows, Xbox, and WP7!

Get Started Today!

If you are a SunBurn developer head over to the Synapse Gaming site and download the latest release.

And if you’re not, what are you waiting for? Become a SunBurn developer today!

• 12/14/2010 12:46 PM In reply to

Re: New SunBurn 2.0 Game Engine!

The Framework download seems to correspond to version 1.X. Do we wait for a 2.0 version of it, or is the API mostly the same?
  • 12/14/2010 5:30 PM In reply to

Hi Juan, The API and design are the same, the main differences are SunBurn 2.0 includes a ton of new features, the editor, XNA 4.0 support, and Xbox / WP7 support. Let me know if this helps!
  • 12/14/2010 6:58 PM In reply to

Should our current license keys work with 2.0? I believe I'd tried a week or so ago and mine didn't.
  • 12/14/2010 7:09 PM In reply to

Hi Jim, Yes your existing SunBurn product code will work with SunBurn 2.0 (it's a free upgrade for all SunBurn devs). Make sure to enter the code when prompted during the install or use the tool in the SunBurn 2.0 program folder. Also all SunBurn versions safely install side-by-side, so 2.0 will not affect your current install / projects. Let me know if this helps!
  • 3/2/2011 6:31 PM In reply to

Re: SunBurn Game Engine update: version 2.0.12!

Hi guys,

Last week we launched the latest SunBurn Game Engine update: version 2.0.12 – available now in the Downloads section.

Combined with the previous update and newly refreshed API docs, this is a huge release, which includes:

SunBurn Editor

• Add and edit custom scene object and entity types
    • Add and edit components on objects, entities, and lights (see the HDR Example for sample components)
    • Create prefabs from any object, entity, light, or group, and place them in the scene
    • Tools for more precise object placement

Optimizations

• Faster, more flexible scenegraph under-the-hood
    • Faster collision and rendering
    • Enhanced occlusion querying

(our 10,000 building city test scene running on Xbox with HDR, dynamic lighting, and shadows)

Enhancements

• Control the number of directional shadow cascades to balance between performance and quality
    • Automatic object serialization (see HDR Example component)
    • Basic sliding in collision system

And More!

Check out the latest release notes for more details.

If you have any questions or comments let us know!

• 5/13/2011 8:16 PM In reply to

Re: SunBurn Game Engine: Audio System, Drag-Drop, and More!

Hi guys,

If you’re following the SunBurn Game Engine’s development you know the early adopter is going very well.  SunBurn is more
    feature rich than ever and we’ve nearly completed the early adopter roadmap.

To top it off, this week we’ve completed two of the remaining five engine features on the roadmap - one of which we’re
    announcing today.

Audio System

Until now adding audio to SunBurn games involved using the XNA audio api and writing different code for ambient, ui, and
    3D audio sources.  While this was relatively easy to setup it still required more work than necessary.

Now SunBurn includes an audio system that handles all of the details for you.  Simply create an AudioSource object in the
    editor (or in code and submit it to the AudioManager), and enjoy lots of beautiful audio goodness. :)

The audio system supports:

• Point / location based 3D sounds (with control of the audible distance)
    • Ambient and UI non-3D sounds
    • Continuous looping sounds
    • Single-shot sounds
    • Playing / stopping
    • Automatically handles maximum platform audio sources (on Xbox and WP7, Windows has no limit)
    • And all using the AudioSource class – no audio playback or device code is required.

Read More

And there’s a lot more to come!  You can read up on all of the latest features and see code snippets in
    the announcement blog: SunBurn Game Engine - Audio System, Drag-Drop, and More!

If you have any questions, comments, or thoughts let us know!

• 6/6/2011 7:43 PM In reply to

Hello Sunburn, I just started using XNA in the last couple of days.... would your game engine be good for Basketball Games?
  • 6/7/2011 12:07 AM In reply to

It would work fine for a basketball game.
  • 6/7/2011 5:14 PM In reply to

Where would i begin in programming a engine for a basketball game?? I'm a brand new to Sunburn and XNA???
  • 6/29/2011 3:48 PM In reply to

Is this open source? Is it one of those things your going to spend hours googling a simple question.

is this now a real* engine.  What about animated textures on object and all the gussy'd up features.
  • 6/29/2011 4:11 PM In reply to

rj45:
    Is this open source?
    No, it's a commercial product.

rj45:
    is this now a real* engine. 

Yes.
  • 7/19/2011 3:35 AM In reply to

I have been looking at Sunburn for a while now, but I keep hearing conflicting reports as to whether or not it's a proper game engine or just a lighting and rendering engine.

Is there a list of features anywhere? Online documentation that can be read?

It's tough to make a decision to buy the product without a demo or even a comprehensive feature list.

How is the input system managed and normalized across Windows (mouse and keyboard and/or gamepad), Windows Phone (touch screen), and Xbox 360 (gamepad)?

What about UI management?

Particle system?

Does the engine support sprite sheet animation?

Is it suitable for 2D games, or is it one of those things where it's built for 3D, but can be "bent" to support 2D games? I often feel like I'm working against some 3D engines that support 2D games. Then using the product can become a chore.

Has the product been reviewed in any of the trade sites/rags (Gamasutra, GD Mag, etc.)?

I'm a Torque X user (and a contributor to the community-supported Torque X CEV), but that product has been end-of-lifed by Garage Games...so I'm looking for an alternative engine product with similar features but on a more stable foundation with a roadmap for the future.

Should I invest in Sunburn?

Also...if I buy the Indie license to test the waters, do I "lose money" if I later want to upgrade to Pro? What does it cost to go from Indie to Pro?
  • 7/19/2011 3:48 AM In reply to

Disposable Fun:
    Is there a list of features anywhere?
    You could try looking at the website.  There's even a free version you can try.  And a large feature list.  And lots more.
  • 7/19/2011 3:52 AM In reply to

Krome Studios:
    There's even a free version you can try.  And a large feature list.  And lots more.

@Krome Studios...thanks, but if I'm not mistaken, the free product is the Sunburn Framework (which is the lighting and rendering only) and not the actual game engine. I'm really only interested in the game engine at this point.

Unless I'm missing something. If so, please post a link. I've been all over the Synapse website looking for a demo of the engine, but I can't find one.
  • 7/19/2011 3:59 AM In reply to

Disposable Fun:
    @Krome Studios...thanks, but if I'm not mistaken, the free product is the Sunburn Framework (which is the lighting and rendering only) and not the actual game engine. I'm really only interested in the game engine at this point.
    The Framework is the easiest way to evaluate the library.  There is no demo version of the full product.
  • 7/20/2011 4:54 PM In reply to

Disposable Fun:
    I have been looking at Sunburn for a while now, but I keep hearing conflicting reports as to whether or not it's a proper game engine or just a lighting and rendering engine.

It's tough to make a decision to buy the product without a demo or even a comprehensive feature list.

Yes I have the same confusion, it all looks really impressive, but the Web Site, and its Feature List really isn't clear as to whether it is a Modelling Tool, Game Scene Editor, Game Engine, or as I suspect a lighting Model/Engine.   I have seen a few YouTube videos which show wonderful end effects on lighting.  It really is not clear what aspects of the Game development SunBurn products really hit, and the constraints of the different products to us amateur XNA/ WP7 developers.

I am looking for a Game Scene Editor, which can import X Models and a Terrain or Surface Editor for WP7 games.  The web site impleis it does some of this, but it just isn't clear.

Sunburn could get my buy, if provided a Trial period or Watermark on their products.
  • 7/20/2011 5:07 PM In reply to

SilverMoonLight:
    Disposable Fun:

Yes I have the same confusion, it all looks really impressive, but the Web Site, and its Feature List really isn't clear as to whether it is a Modelling Tool, Game Scene Editor, Game Engine, or as I suspect a lighting Model/Engine.   I have seen a few YouTube videos which show wonderful end effects on lighting.  It really is not clear what aspects of the Game development SunBurn products really hit, and the constraints of the different products to us amateur XNA/ WP7 developers.

I am looking for a Game Scene Editor, which can import X Models and a Terrain or Surface Editor for WP7 games.  The web site impleis it does some of this, but it just isn't clear.

Sunburn could get my buy, if provided a Trial period or Watermark on their products.

@SilverMoonLight...I have become a licensed owner of the product since last night.  :)

I can say this...it has some very cool lighting functionality. It IS a game engine, but it's not exactly what I would call feature-rich outside of its (very cool) lighting and rendering features. It does allow you to expose C# behaviors as components and you can configure those in the game editor so that you can reconfigure a component's parameters on the fly. From what I can tell in my short bout of usage...it does expect you to all of your art work in external tools (there was no way to create a material in the product directly...materials MUST be included in the model data in order to be configurable and editable in the product).

There is an extensive bit of functionality built into a separate product from Indiefreaks called the Indiefreak Game Framework.This seems to provide a ton of the "game engine" type functionality that is not natively part of SunBurn.

There is something about this product though and I can't put my finger on it...I really like it even though I've only just begun using it. It seems to want to let me control my game...it seems to be a good balance of some really cool features that can be used, but it doesn't feel like it's imposing its will on my game. I think it's a good fit for developers who still want to do some of the heavy lifting themselves, but welcome the things that it exposes for us to leverage.

Also, I get a good feeling about the future of the product as I do about the work that Indiefreaks is doing as well. Both projects seem to be working toward short term goals and attainable, iterative releases that expose new functionality as its built instead of making us wait months and months for the next release.

Hope that helps...
    --RB
  • 7/21/2011 2:54 PM In reply to

Many Thanks for that.  It helps me appreciate what Sunburn is offering.  
    I will look into Indifreak Game Framework.

Cheers

Jules
Page 1 of 1 (19 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion