Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 3 of 4 (90 posts) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

XNA One Week Challenge

Last post 10/22/2010 9:30 PM by Takaro Games. 89 replies.
  • 10/3/2010 9:44 PM In reply to

Re: XNA One Week Challenge

That's some good progress! It's a little hard to track what's going on from the video though, possibly because of the low resolution.
  • 10/4/2010 3:20 AM In reply to

Hey guys,

This sounds like a fun idea, I think I'm going to try it too. I put up a blog: http://10k31.wordpress.com/2010/10/03/xna-game-in-7-days-part-time/ and I'll post an update here later when I have something. I'm going to spend a bit of game design tonight and tomorrow and (hopefully) have a complete game submitted to playtest by Monday October 11th.

Thanks!
  • 10/4/2010 3:33 AM In reply to

Daniel, looking good, though I'm not exactly sure what's going on from that video. I hope you add an explanation screen to your final build :)

I blogged about my game and the one week that it took to create here: http://spacedjase.com/post/2010/10/02/Stick-City-e28093-A-game-in-a-week.aspx

It might be an interesting read for those undertaking the challenge as well.
  • 10/4/2010 4:39 AM In reply to

Wow Jason :) I bet you you could get some pretty smooth runs once you get the feel of it. I love your audio by the way; the "foot scurry" is actually kind of funny. I will have a full write-up once I'm done. I've never blogged before, but I think now would be a good time to get started...

• 10/5/2010 3:48 AM In reply to

I joined in the challenge, day 1 blog here.
  • 10/5/2010 11:31 AM In reply to

Cool, I updated the table with you Robot.

How's everyone else going on their first challenge game?

By the way, I'd just like to mention that it's probably best to stick to calling it "xna one week challenge" as opposed to "xna 7 day challenge" as it would most likley get confused with the apparently-now-defunct XNA7Day series of challenges which is unrelated. :)
  • 10/5/2010 2:22 PM In reply to

Jason Deacon:
    By the way, I'd just like to mention that it's probably best to stick to calling it "xna one week challenge" as opposed to "xna 7 day challenge" as it would most likley get confused with the apparently-now-defunct XNA7Day series of challenges which is unrelated. :)

I thought about that, but "XNA One Week Challenge" just doesn't have the nice ring too it, ya know? (no offense) Anyways, I've been working on piecing together the final touches. I made a quick map editor yesterday and have been working on the menu system. I've decided that it will be strictly racing due to time, but after I'm done with the challenge, I'm going to spend an extra week to turn it into a more full game; then hopefully by next week, I'll purchase my membership and have this be my first official release.

Just want to say Jason, that I'm so glad you made this thread. This is the first full XNA game I've made, and throughout the process, I discovered that there were many many things I hadn't even thought of in terms of finalizing a game. Like I said though, I'll have a full write-up this Wednesday or Thursday.
  • 10/5/2010 2:38 PM In reply to

I basically lost two full days last week due to RL company merger stuff, so I'm moving my deadline to Friday.  It's at the point now where I can probably put together a gameplay video, though, so I'll try to post that later today when I get some free time.  Still missing some graphics, so a few elements are going to look suspiciously placeholderish :)
  • 10/5/2010 2:47 PM In reply to

Did I mention my corny ship? lol. I Still have yet to do graphics polishing... by far, my last priority.
  • 10/5/2010 4:51 PM In reply to

Daniel Hoctor:
    Did I mention my corny ship? lol. I Still have yet to do graphics polishing... by far, my last priority.
    I think that should have been my last priority. Perhaps if I restart and set my schedule to be 7 full days, just not in a row, I'd be able to get something done. I need to catch up in my AI class, though--we're programming StarCraft 1 AI bots--before I consider this idea too fully.

Keep up the good work guys. :)

~Dustin Tigner
  • 10/5/2010 5:44 PM In reply to

Re: XNA One Week Challange

Jason Deacon:

Here's the first screenshot of mine on day 5. Still a fair bit to go yet. As you can see, very simple and low-tech, but fun, I think :)

this layout...just from the screen looks similar to a game I bought a few months back, maybe you're the developer. If so it was fairly entertaining!

This reminds me of Global Jam a little
  • 10/6/2010 7:45 AM In reply to

Well, I can't say that I succeeded; the graphics are basically still placeholders, there's no in-game music or sound effects, and I only have two full maps. I still plan on taking an extra week to turn it into a full game and publish it onto live, so this was definitely well worth it for me.

Here's my last video update:

Sometime tomorrow, I'll update my blog explaining the process I went through and the challenges. Hopefully, you can get a better idea as to whats going on in the video--btw, if you can't, let me know so I can work out what's missing.
  • 10/6/2010 12:19 PM In reply to

Unfortunately, no. :) I hadn't made a 2D game like that before, just figured it would be simple enough to get done in a week.

Daniel Hoctor:

Well, I can't say that I succeeded; the graphics are basically still placeholders, there's no in-game music or sound effects, and I only have two full maps. I still plan on taking an extra week to turn it into a full game and publish it onto live, so this was definitely well worth it for me.

Here's my last video update:
    YouTube: Thunderstruct Final Update

Interesting concept. So it's sort of a gravity-based gated space racing game? I look forward to seeing your write-up of the week.
  • 10/6/2010 12:48 PM In reply to

Well I made it to the end of the week and tried to release to play test last night but to no avail.  Apparently the submit for the game binaries only accept XNA 3.1 and below.  So I have to wait until who knows when to move Deepest Dungeon to actual play test.  I currently have the binaries on my website now so people can try it out still and I can attempt to get some feedback.  Hopefully this maintenance this weekend will change the submit to allow XNA 4 games to be uploaded.  I'll also be posting a post-mortem later today.  So for now enjoy the trailer for the play test, and download the play test and let me know what you think.

Deepest Dungeon.zip - Once downloaded, rename file to Deepest Dungeon.ccgame
  • 10/6/2010 2:26 PM In reply to

Jason Deacon:
    Interesting concept. So it's sort of a gravity-based gated space racing game? I look forward to seeing your write-up of the week.

Oh good... yes, it is exactly that; however, I'd still like to add some form of battle aspect if I can manage it.
  • 10/6/2010 8:34 PM In reply to

I posted a video of last night's progress at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daoM-yjZU8M.  I extended mine until Friday because I lost a couple of days last week to RL stuff.  Still needs quite a bit of sound effects, some sort of scoring system, some additional weapons for the player, and hostile enemies instead of targets, but at least it's possible to fly around and bomb stuff now.
  • 10/6/2010 8:44 PM In reply to

Looking good Sigil. At first I had to really look for cues that it was realtime and not pre-rendered, but once I realised it was realtime I was quite impressed :)

• 10/6/2010 8:49 PM In reply to

Thanks.  The big giveaway is the point lighting and the shadow resolution, although the latter doesn't come across well after youtube compression - those both look way better on prerendered stuff than in realtime.  If you saw the original video, you'd see the little blurred blocky edges of the shadow maps.
  • 10/6/2010 9:11 PM In reply to

I'm busy working hard on Avatarmageddon, with one day left to go, but it looks like I won't be able to submit it for playtest tomorrow due to the website going down for maintenance soon. So I will perhaps try to get a copy online and link to it on my twitter, otherwise I guess I'll just keep polishing it over the weekend and submit it as soon as CCO comes back up.
  • 10/7/2010 12:57 AM In reply to

Damn Sigil, nice job :)
  • 10/11/2010 10:33 PM In reply to

So, I've finished Avatarmageddon and uploaded it here so you can all check it out.

In the end, I spent 10 days on it, due to the website being down, and based on my records, close to 100 hours. Around 2/3 of that time was spent on adding features to my engine to make the game possible, with the remaining 1/3 of the time being game specific code. Here are the main things I had to add to the engine:

1. Multitextured terrain (based on Riemer Grootjans tutorial)
    2. Lens flare (based on CC sample)
    3. Geometry Instancing (based on CC sample, didn't end up using it yet)
    4. Collision detection / ray-world intersection testing (very simple system with no spatial partioning)
    5. 3D positional audio (based on Robot Game CC sample)
    6. Textured primitives (box, cylinder, ring, based on primitives CC sample)
    7. Third person camera (including ground collision but no object collision handling)
    8. Avatars in game with basic movement animation (based on CC samples)

Besides needing some more polish, the game as it stands is quite close to what I originally designed, so I'm pretty happy with my estimates.

Let me know what you all think!

• 10/12/2010 12:16 PM In reply to

After multiple attempts at trying to publish Deepest Dungeon to play test, I won't be able to publish it until XNA 4 is fully released.
    Until then I am hosting my binaries for play test through my dropbox. http://bit.ly/aroFhm

• 10/12/2010 12:41 PM In reply to

I was able to create a play test thread here also so can leave feedback there and download the newest build.

• 10/12/2010 2:18 PM In reply to

Well done guys - you are doing something me and a 2 colleagues are doing, but in a shorter space of time, and BETTER, so congratulations. FYI - We run a competetion called 8WeekGame, you guessed it, write a game in 8Weeks! The 1st competition was 2 XNA games and a Javascript game. using the new HTML5 Canvas element. The 2nd is 3 XNA games. We are all learners, but we love the experience, just like you guys seem to be. Our website is if you are interested:

http://8weekgame.shawson.co.uk/

Well done guys, i will be interested to see the finsihed products :)
  • 10/12/2010 3:43 PM In reply to

I'm sure your games are far more polished than ours, at least, I hope that's the case ;)

Now that I'm past the crunch period for my employers WP7 application for launch, I'm going to polish up Stick City a tiny bit and then go about releasing it. I had considered making a WP7 version, just not sure on how you'd interact with it all.

If any of you guys have updates to end times or blog posts describing your projects, let me know and I'll update the main table.
Page 3 of 4 (90 posts) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > Previous Discussion Next Discussion