Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 4 (90 posts) 1 2 3 4 Next >

XNA One Week Challenge

Last post 10/22/2010 9:30 PM by Takaro Games. 89 replies.
  • 9/29/2010 2:03 PM

XNA One Week Challenge

Some of you may have heard of this being talked about a little bit on twitter. I figured I'd make an 'official' post on the forums just to explain what the purpose of it is and also keep an active list of the challenge games in the interim.

You can read my original motivations for challenging myself in my somewhat-ranting blog post here: http://spacedjase.com/post/2010/09/28/XNA-One-Week-Challenge.aspx

It boils down to this. Challenge yourself to create a game in one week that includes all gameplay and any required media assets in order to demonstrate that you don't need 4 months, 10 people and $30,000 to make a fun game. Sure, some great games have been made by indies in teams and with capital, but that's not the focus of this challenge.

The focus is making a FUN and complete game in a week.

Dustin added some additional challenge parameters around my original thoughts which provide a much more structured approach to the challenge, allowing for a 2 day design phase and a post-challenge playtest/review phase. Read more about it in his blog

Current progress and challenge info so far:

Name Started Due to finish Genre More info Playtest
    @jasedeacon 3pm Sunday 26th September AEST 3pm Sunday 3rd October AEST Side scrolling twin-stick platformer Blog Post PT
    @slyprid 11pm Tuesday 28th September 2010 EST 11pm Tuesday 5th October 2010 EST Timed Rogue style Blog Post -
    Daniel Hoctor Wednesday 29th September 2010 Wednesday 6th October 2010 - - -
    @sigilxna 10.30 Wednesday 29th September 2010 10.30 Wednesday 6th October 2010 Overhead Physics Shooter Blog Post -
    @takarotashi 9am Friday 1st October 2010 9am Friday 8th October 2010 3D Avatar Shooter - -
    TenK Monday 4th October 2010 Monday 11th October 2010 - Blog Post -
    Robot Foot Games Tuesday 5th October 2010 Tuesday 12th October 2010 Tower Defence Blog Post -
    @Xalterax Thursday 14th October 2010 Thursday 21st October 2010 Top-down shooter Blog Post -
    Chris Kitsch Monday 18th October 2010 Monday 25th October 2010 Action Adventure - -

If you're on twitter, we're using the #xnaoneweekchallenge tag.

Please note, this is not designed to encourage shovelware on the service, it's designed to show those shovelware creators that in fact you don't need a lot of time to create something fun, and that they should put some effort into what they create.
  • 9/29/2010 2:34 PM In reply to

Re: XNA One Week Challange

This is a pretty neat idea.   Now I just need some vacation time... come quicker thanksgiving!
  • 9/29/2010 3:02 PM In reply to

Well, I've been looking for an excuse to get away from my main project for a little bit, and quite frankly, Halo Reach just isn't doing it for me. Only problem though is that I haven't purchased my premium membership yet so if I did make something, it would be PC only :( Who knows, if it comes out good enough, I just might have to get my membership earlier than expected.

So October 6th it is! I have no idea as to what I'm going to make... I'll be figuring that out today, so I'll post up a general concept once I get going in a particular direction.

Oh and one more thing: your one week challenge idea is awesome. EAT IT all you excuse making, time wasting, shovelware... ers?... :p

EDIT

I was glancing through your main site, and I would like to note (more as a poke in the eye to shovelwarers), that I will specifically be using a budget of $0.00. It's not exactly by choice since I'm pretty f-ing poor, but I will be making sure to use only royalty free assets just so I don't have to hear the excuse, oh but I can't hire crazy artists and musicians, and blah blah blah.

I have a thing against shovelwarers, can you tell?

Anyhoot, back to work!
  • 9/29/2010 3:07 PM In reply to

It's very tempting to do this. I don't generally have a full week of time where I can work on everything though, so for me to do this, I'd almost have to do it over a week with 3-4 days of actual work time. I don't think I could make anything worthwhile in that time.

Good luck everything trying this out! Looking forward to what you create.
  • 9/29/2010 3:11 PM In reply to

Just one other thing, I don't expect people to work full-time for a week. I myself work full time so I imagine total hours invested over the course of a week for me would be around the 20-30 hour mark. If you do end up participating, just scope what you have time for in a week :)

Daniel, if you put some info up (blog post, site page, forum post etc) about your progress, let me know and I'll update the table with the relevant info.
  • 9/29/2010 3:12 PM In reply to

This may be just the thing to give me some focus after I've been scattered doing a dozen different things lately, and I loved the old XNA7Day competitions.  I might give it a try in a day or two if I can knock out a few RL things first.
  • 9/29/2010 3:37 PM In reply to

I'm doing it because it reminded me of the old XNA7Day that use to be held.  Never got around to actually doing one, but with this it gives me a chance to see what I can make.
  • 9/29/2010 3:40 PM In reply to

I loved the XNA7Day challenges too (even though I only did two; well one actually, the other one I didn't enter and ended up becoming Super Avatar Hero Force), so I'm glad to see something similar! Fantastic idea!

But why oh why did you have to do it so close to the WP7 launch? Maybe next month I could participate, but definitely not now. :(

Show the shovelware-ers how it's done guys! :D
  • 9/29/2010 3:43 PM In reply to

Alright, it's going to be a battle racing game. I can't promise any multiplayer support, but there will definitely be computer opponents.
  • 9/29/2010 3:45 PM In reply to

Yeah, I can't do it this month. I need about 7 more weeks to wrap up some WP7 stuff with the book. After that though, I wouldn't mind giving something like this a go.
  • 9/29/2010 3:50 PM In reply to

Seeing as how I have yet to finish any games... only lots of proofs of concept, I will be opting out of this lol
  • 9/29/2010 4:06 PM In reply to

Believe it or not, I wasn't actually familiar with XNA7Day until I saw you guys mentioning it and googled. It definately is along the same lines, though XOWC isn't themed and not set dates.

I feel the flexible dates thing is quite important so that you can just do a week when you can fit it into your schedule. Also, feel free to do as many as you like.. no limitations and no restrictions :D
  • 9/29/2010 7:01 PM In reply to

awesome idea, just remember not to overload yourself.  I tried doing this just myself with a simple roguelike back in February while I was unemployed, crashed and burned from programming exhaustion after 4 days of sunup to sundown work. to date that project's STILL not finished
  • 9/29/2010 7:05 PM In reply to

AnacondaSoftware:
    I tried doing this just myself with a simple roguelike back in February

Found your problem. There is no such thing as a "simple" roguelike. :-)
  • 9/29/2010 7:10 PM In reply to

UberGeekGames:
    AnacondaSoftware:
    I tried doing this just myself with a simple roguelike back in February

Found your problem. There is no such thing as a "simple" roguelike. :-)

hahaha aint THAT the truth... I thought the fact that I had been planning it on and off for the last five years was enough preparation (as well as using the codebase I already had well built for my other project), but up until just a few days ago (Im working on finishing it up for WP7 launch, now) I didnt even have a name for the blasted thing!
  • 9/29/2010 8:34 PM In reply to

I may take part in this...

I'm currently between projects and have a pretty good idea...
  • 9/29/2010 9:14 PM In reply to

Man, this is a good idea. I'm not fast enough to even try this; my game would just encourage the shovelware-ers. :P
    I think I'll stick with what I've got right now, but this is definitely something I'd like to try some day, and I'll be following this with great interest.

Good luck everybody!
  • 9/29/2010 9:18 PM In reply to

Ok, go ahead and put me down for this.  I've got an old one-sentence game concept from a few months ago that deserves some attention, and after spending a while on seemingly aimless engine work, a focused project might do me some good.  I'll be starting at about 9pm tonight on an overhead physics-based shooter.
  • 9/29/2010 9:22 PM In reply to

AnacondaSoftware:
    hahaha aint THAT the truth... I thought the fact that I had been planning it on and off for the last five years was enough preparation (as well as using the codebase I already had well built for my other project), but up until just a few days ago (Im working on finishing it up for WP7 launch, now) I didnt even have a name for the blasted thing!

I don't mean to crush your will to code, but.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwoLY7B-1k&feature=channel ;) Looking forward to the competition! (apologies for the semi-offtopic discussion, I'll stop now. I <3 roguelikes!)
  • 9/29/2010 10:35 PM In reply to

Hey everyone,

I'm glad to see a lot of developers finding this idea as fun and interesting. I myself find it quite motivational. It's time to cut all ties to past projects and jump into a new world of creativity. :)

I'm changing up my development plan to work around my schedule. As I have been in classes all day (first 9 hours of this morning), I feel I should start on my challenge game tomorrow. Per my set of rules, I have 48 hours to conceptualize and plan my game; alas, the first day was more like a half day, so I'm taking the rest of today to finish my planning.

If you'd like to update the chart, I officially start programming on September 30th at 1:00PM MST, which means I'll need to be done by 12:59PM MST on October 7th. My game will be a top-down action adventure strategy game.

My Twitter link is broken, so check here if you wish to follow me: @DustinTigner.

Best of luck to everyone!

~Dustin Tigner
  • 9/30/2010 12:14 AM In reply to

Sigil:
    I'll be starting at about 9pm tonight on an overhead physics-based shooter.

What day is that for you? I'm guessing Wednesday?

Petrichor Studio:
    My Twitter link is broken, so check here if you wish to follow me: @DustinTigner.

Oops, I fixed it :)

• 9/30/2010 5:24 AM In reply to

This is a great idea! I think I'll also join in the fun. I'm going to use this as an excuse to mess around with avatars for the first time, which I suppose may or may not be a good idea (I will learn that answer in the next 7 days).

I will spend a bit of time this evening planning my game out, and start at 9am October first, and submit for playtest at 9am on October 8th. My game will be a 3D shooter called Avatarmageddon. Not sure exactly what the details will be yet; the name just came to me and I like it, so I'll use that as my jumping off point for something AWESOME!!!

I've just opened a twitter account that I might actually bother to update (I hate twitter, so no promises): @takarotashi
  • 9/30/2010 5:48 AM In reply to

Jason Deacon:
    What day is that for you? I'm guessing Wednesday?

Yeah.  I actually got started about 2 hours ago, which is about 10:30 Wednesday, US Central time, so I'll be done by the end of the day next Wednesday.

Here's my own little "rules" for what I'm doing:
    • I'll be using my existing engine (after all, that's what it's for, right?)
    • I'm not doing any Guide, networking, storage, or any of that other fiddly stuff
    • I'm not reusing any assets that I already have, except fonts for obvious reasons
    • I'll be creating all my own models, textures, and music from scratch (i.e. - not downloading any of those) during the project.  It'll be an interesting test of whether I'm capable of actually doing any of that :)
    • Sound effects I'll have to see - I'll probably just find some simple free ones, because I don't really know how to make those
    • I'm focusing on a single main gameplay element until it's done, and then I'll fill in any additional ideas if I have time once the main point is playable, to avoid feature creep
  • 9/30/2010 2:20 PM In reply to

I didn't get to work on my game as much as I wanted to yesterday :( but I'll have a video sample up by tonight. My unofficial title is "Thunderstruct." Just did a quick google on the name, and nothing too bad for conflicts so it just might stick.

I'm removing the racing part; it's going to be a ship fighting game. Players will be placed inside an arena full of weapons, docking stations, etc. I'm going to try to get it so that players can dock at stations to perform special actions, weapon upgrades, etc. It'll be like a pit stop, except landing on (or in) them will be part of the challenge :)

Extras that I'm going to try to fit in but will mostly be my "rip coord," are ship customizations. Color, weapon types, and thrusters, are the initial customizations that I'd like to have, but those will come at the end.

I'm building everything from scratch except for my HUD system; I'm carrying that over from one of my other projects. I will be making my own models with Blender, but general asssets like textures and sound effects, I'll be getting from free resource sites--CG Textures is a God send!
  • 9/30/2010 2:25 PM In reply to

For what it's worth, just to help you guys with you scope creep. Kissy Poo took two developers, one VERY experienced and one not too bad (that's me!) about 3 months of off and on work to create (I'm sure each of us definitely put in more than a weeks worth though, so 2+ weeks to make). Might want to at least look at the trial and be shocked at how little there is to the game. And then adjust your own games accordingly :)

Not saying that to discourage you guys, I just know as developers we tend to overestimate what can be done in a short amount of time. For what it's worth, the initial gameplay/prototype took me a day to code up. It was making it an actual GAME that took the other time.

It's a very, very, very simple game....
Page 1 of 4 (90 posts) 1 2 3 4 Next > Previous Discussion Next Discussion