Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (18 posts)

Kokusai Fighting Engine - The new 2D fighting game engine

Last post 1/10/2012 9:36 PM by Elwakili productions. 17 replies.
  • 9/9/2010 2:40 PM

Hallo XNA Community,

From two years I'm developing a 2D fighting game engine with XNA, using the FlatRedBall engine. This project is called Kokusai Fighting Engine. Inspired by the famous MUGEN engine (and by its clones like ShugenDo, Direct-Xion-Game, and Paintown), it allows the user to create 2D fighting games like Street Fighter 2. Moreover I developed two editors which allow the user to create his custom characters and stages. Fore more info visit my blog. If you have any question, please ask me. I will post here every incoming update on my engine. See you soon.

• 9/9/2010 3:29 PM In reply to

Re: Kokusai Fighting Engine - The new 2D fighting game engine

I'm a big fighting game fan, so this is pretty neat stuff.

However, you really need to get an artist on board and create some characters of your own. Unless you've got their written permission, using Capcom's characters in your promotional screenshots and videos is a very, very bad idea.
  • 9/9/2010 3:56 PM In reply to

Hallo Chounard,

thank you for your reply. Yes you are right, but for now this is only the engine which I will use for my upcoming game. Soon I will create my personal characters and stages, but now I need to end the engine development and for this reason I need a character any of the hundreds that can be found on the net available for Mugen (CAPCOM, SNK, ecc.). Actually Mugen is the best engine which can be used to create 2D fighting games, so I need to show that my engine is on the same level as Mugen.

• 9/10/2010 10:30 PM In reply to

Wow this looks AWESOME! I couldn't help but notice the license on your page. Once you release your game will you change it to a commercial license? I would love to make a game for XBLIG with this engine :P. 
  • 9/13/2010 7:07 AM In reply to

Thank you for your reply woollymammoth :)

Yes, of course, I'm planning to release this engine in the future, I'm very proud to see this project can become popular in the XNA community. Only a question if you can answer me: why the forum has removed the screenshots I inserted in the first post? I don't understand this message: [Mod: Removed screen shots, please don't post images using other peoples IP in these forums.] Can you help me?
  • 9/13/2010 7:50 AM In reply to

You screenshots did contain character sprites ripped from capcom games for which you don't have the copyright. It is not allowed to use Intellectual Property of others in this forum.
  • 9/13/2010 8:30 AM In reply to

Thank you for your reply Glatzemann :) this is all new for me, I'm a very new entry in this community. For now the engine is currently in development, not ready to be released or sell, and it's not a real game, and so I take a MUGEN sprite for testing purpose. You will see my own design very soon :) I edited the first post and removed the part where the screenshots were. I'm reading your starlight engine wiki page, but I don't find any screenshots. I think it's a good idea to create a wiki page, I will take care to create one for the Kokusai Engine too.
  • 9/13/2010 8:37 AM In reply to

I personally have no problems with this. I think that you are doing great work.

The problem with the screenshots is, that capcom is able to sue you (and maybe the forum if you link other peoples IP here). Nobody in this forum is able (maybe if he is a lawyer) nor allowed to give you legal advice about this topics, but basically it is not permitted to use others IP for any purpose. This is nothing special with this forum, it's everywhere the same ;-)

• 9/23/2010 2:34 PM In reply to

A new feature for the engine: I've completed the state machine which manages the rounds. See my blogs for screenshots and a new video :)
  • 9/23/2010 4:14 PM In reply to

This looks awesome. :D I have a few questions.

1. Does Kokusai mean anything?

2. In your latest video (managing rounds), the first guy wins, then it's a tie and it says Draw Game. Is Battle Two from a different match than Battle One? (Because it seems like if the first guy wins Battle One, then the players tie in Battle Two, the first guy should be the winner-- not have a Draw Game.) Or perhaps the Draw Game only means that one Battle was a draw, not the whole game?

Anyway, good job! I wish I could make an engine like that.... :)

Jess
  • 9/24/2010 6:58 AM In reply to

Thank you for the appreciation :). About your questions:

1. Kokusai in Japanese means antique, ancient, old... I used this as a tribute to the school of my karate master :).
    2. Yes you are right, there is a little fix I have to made about animations :).
  • 10/18/2010 7:53 AM In reply to

Great news! The blog has a new Games page, where you can find some infos about the first game, currently in development, based on the Kokusai Fighting Engine: Final Bout. The development team, composed by Dave, Scotty, Kevis and me, is working hard, to make the game best as possible. Below you can see Rampart, the American fighter (colored version). More infos will be posted very soon, stay tuned guys!
  • 12/19/2010 4:26 PM In reply to

Is this engine gonna be able to work on xbox 360?Will it be free like mugen?
    So far great work and im reallllllly hoping that ur project wont collapse like xnamugen did :(
  • 12/20/2010 7:49 AM In reply to

Hi Dracon :) thank you for your appreciations.

Yes, the engine will work on the Xbox360 too, and perhaps on windows phone 7 (but I don't know now how to manage the controls). For now I have not decided to release it as free or not. Dont' worry, I will continue to develop this project you can trust me :)

• 12/20/2010 11:39 AM In reply to

Thats great news;)

Im still having simple question like:
    1.Will characters, stages, screenpacks from orignal m.u.g.e.n work?
    2.Will that engine support online play also 2v2 matches?
    3.Is any chance to get in to alpha or beta release also is there any realese date?

Wish u all the best with ur work also happy xmass time ;)

If you need any help with your website just shout i do only know html, php some java and flash.

• 12/20/2010 2:00 PM In reply to

Hi Dracon :)

About your questions:

1. No, the Kokusai Fighting Engine doesn't use anything from the original MUGEN files. One of the worse things of MUGEN (in my opinion) is the big number of files required for every characters, stages, ecc. My engine uses only one file for a fighter and one file for a stage. Moreover, in MUGEN, *.wav files for sounds are compressed in the same files used by chars, and this were be a problem on the Xbox360 throught XACT.
    2. Yes, the engine comes out with two own editors, one for fighters and one for stages.
    3. No, actually the engine doesn't support online play and tag battle modes, but in the future I want to add them.
    4. For now, I can say you that I'm fixing some bugs on the AI for Ryu's character. Then the first version of the engine will be ready. Then I must reorganize and polish the code to improve performance.

If you have more questions send me when you want :) Keep in mind that actually I'm working with XNA Game Studio 3.1, and I don't have a Xbox360. Moreover I'm developing another game in the meantime.

• 1/9/2011 10:27 AM In reply to

This is the current state-of-art of the Kokusai Fighting Engine, showing the artificial intelligence of the engine. After a lot of works, now the artificial intelligence of Ryu's template seems to work correctly. Now it's time to reorganize the code and make some optimizations. Stay tuned guys! :D

http://vimeo.com/18239786

More videos on my blog :)
  • 1/10/2012 9:36 PM In reply to

Re: Kokusai Fighting Engine

Hi, your engine sounds cool, can you modify it to allow for making scrolling brawler games as well? What's your email, I am interested in speaking to you about working on future projects. Thanks
Page 1 of 1 (18 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion