Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (8 posts)

Graphics Card and XNA 4.0

Last post 10/31/2010 5:02 AM by KIKIAlex. 7 replies.
  • 8/15/2010 12:57 AM

Graphics Card and XNA 4.0

I create a new project in xna 4.0 for windows. I put it on both Reach and HiDef profile settings in properties. When debugging I get the following error:

No suitable graphics card found. Could not find a Direct3D device that supports the XNA Framework HiDef profile.

I made sure to select the 'Reach' profile, I still get this error.

My graphics card is an intel GM45. It states support of DX10 on their website.

So whats wrong with what I'm doing? Thanks.

ps. Can I create a 3.0 project with xna 4.0?

• 8/15/2010 1:25 AM In reply to

Re: Graphics Card and XNA 4.0

Have you tried updating your graphics card driver? It's possible it's using an older driver that isn't sufficient. The graphics card's driver needs to be a WDDM 1.1 driver. If you're using Win7 (and possibly if you're using Vista as well), you can go to Start->Run and then run "dxdiag" (which is the DirectX Diagnostics program) - switch to the Display tab (if you have multiple monitors, there'll be Display 1, Display 2, etc. - any of them will do) And then look under "Drivers" to see if it's WDDM 1.1 . If not, try visiting Intel's site or your computer manufacturer's site to see if updated drivers are available.
  • 8/15/2010 2:01 AM In reply to

It is. Driver Model: WDDM 1.1.
  • 8/15/2010 5:00 PM In reply to

Shawn Mclean:
    My graphics card is an intel GM45.

That's not your graphics card, that's the chipset. 4500MHD is - probably - the actual graphics controller (is it?).

Shawn Mclean:
    It is. Driver Model: WDDM 1.1.

The Windows Display Driver Model has nothing (in this context) to do with your actual graphics hardware display driver.
  • 10/26/2010 2:54 PM In reply to

Hi everyone. I also have a similar problem. I created a Windows Game project in GS4, just the template that the wizard generates. It builds sucessfully but when I am going to run it the following message box appears:
    No suitable graphics card found.
    Could not find a Direct3D device that supports the XNA Framework HiDef profile.
    Verify that a suitable graphics device is installed.
    Make sure the desktop is not locked, and that no other application is running in full screen mode.
    Avoid running under Remote Desktop or as a Windows service.
    Check the display properties to make sure hardware acceleration is set to Full.
    But when I change the Profile Properties from HiDef to Reach, it runs perfectly. I am using a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop. I ran the DirectX Diagnostic tool, it found no problems. Under system it says I have the DirectX Version DirectX 11. The name of the device is Intel HD Graphics. It has DirectDraw, Direct3D, and AGP Texture Acceleration Enabled. The Driver model is WDDM 1.1, the Main Driver is igdumd64.dll, igd10umd64.dll, igdumdx with DDI version 10. Does the problem is really the graphic card, the drivers installed, or additional configuration?
  • 10/26/2010 4:08 PM In reply to

The problem is your graphics card.  HiDef profile requires a high end GPU, which the Intel part is not.
  • 10/31/2010 3:52 AM In reply to

what graphic card may solve the problem? And if I use this graphic card and develop my games in REACH Mode, that means their graphic quality would be low (i'm targeting games for Windows PC and Mobile Phone game applications, no XBox game application)? And a third question, game applications developed with shader 1.1 instead of shader 2.0 are poor in graphic quality?
  • 10/31/2010 5:02 AM In reply to

-The windows phone supports only the Reach subset of the XNA Platform with no custom shaders.
    -If you want to have the same code on the phone and on windows you have to target the Reach profile.
    -Shader model 1.1 is no longer supported,there is no diffrence in quality if you use a shader model versus another just the amount of instructions and the intrinsic functions available.
    -If you want to develop or play games on your PC that target the HiDef profile you need a Directx 10 compatible graphic card.

http://communistgames.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 1 (8 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion