Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (18 posts)

Kinect confirmed (kinda)

Last post 8/2/2010 5:54 PM by Cookiecups. 17 replies.
  • 8/2/2010 2:54 PM

Kinect confirmed (kinda)

• 8/2/2010 3:00 PM In reply to

Re: Kinect confirmed

That's great news! As I understand, the XNA 4 framework though does not yet support this, so it may be a while off. Hopefully soon though, can't wait for more details. I'm going to make the best disc golf game ever :)
  • 8/2/2010 3:08 PM In reply to

Oh and the source is this interview. Apparently that quote is in the rest of the interview, which is in issue 218 of their magazine, coming out tomorrow. Although he confirms it here too:
    What about smaller developers – are they going to be able to afford to develop Kinect games?
    Whether you're building an indie, XBLA game or retail packaged console game, very little of the time, energy and cost that you spend on the title comes down to the controls. There's a direct translation of the user input into an on-screen action that you spend time tuning and crafting, but it's not particularly asset based - you don't need a team of 50 artists building a high fidelity world. With the Kinect platform you get the full body tracking, you're getting all the great voice stuff, the human identification stuff. Kinect is no more cost prohibitive than developing on anything else.

-Jeremy
  • 8/2/2010 3:10 PM In reply to

I'm actually pretty surprised about that.  From what I've read, the math involved in Kinect is pretty intense, so I'll be really curious what sort of abstraction layer they are planning on having on top of it.
  • 8/2/2010 3:15 PM In reply to

This is freakin awesome!
    Although now I'm curious/terrified of what new games we're going to see come from this...
  • 8/2/2010 3:17 PM In reply to

Since Kudo isn't a member of the XNA GS team I would take this with a BIG grain of salt. Don't hold your breath waiting for it. I can guarantee you won't see anything this year and I'd be surprised that if it happens next year.
  • 8/2/2010 3:18 PM In reply to

Sigil:
    I'm actually pretty surprised about that.  From what I've read, the math involved in Kinect is pretty intense, so I'll be really curious what sort of abstraction layer they are planning on having on top of it.

Hopefully something good. For the Wii-Mote, which is probably a much simpler thing, developers are still struggling to use it as well as Nintendo. I'd hope that Microsoft gives us something nice and easy to use (though robust enough to do complex behaviors if you require it).
  • 8/2/2010 3:24 PM In reply to

What about smaller developers – are they going to be able to afford to develop Kinect games?
    Whether you're building an indie, XBLA game or retail packaged console game, very little of the time, energy and cost that you spend on the title comes down to the controls. There's a direct translation of the user input into an on-screen action that you spend time tuning and crafting, but it's not particularly asset based - you don't need a team of 50 artists building a high fidelity world. With the Kinect platform you get the full body tracking, you're getting all the great voice stuff, the human identification stuff. Kinect is no more cost prohibitive than developing on anything else.

I do not read that as confirmation.  I read that as the development effort would be minimal compared to the game as a whole.  That makes no claims that XNA will get any tools to be able to make use of Kinect!  I also could not find any other references in the articles online.

I read lots of wishful thinking in this thread.
  • 8/2/2010 3:32 PM In reply to

Well he says "Whether you're building an indie, XBLA game or retail packaged console game" ...why would he say indie there? But I guess if you don't trust the first link I posted you can just wait for the magazine to come out. And if you don't trust the GM of Microsoft Game Studios, you're being way too skeptical.

-Jeremy
  • 8/2/2010 3:37 PM In reply to

JForce Games:
    And if you don't trust the GM of Microsoft Game Studios, you're being way too skeptical.
    Again, he has no say over anything other than his area. He's not a member of the XNA GS team, has no control over what the XNA GS team can access or even if they'll be allowed to have access to the hardware.

While it might be something that can be done, that doesn't mean they'll be allowed to do it, or even if it's something that'll happen anytime soon.
  • 8/2/2010 3:37 PM In reply to

JForce Games:
    ...too skeptical.

No arguments there, I am very skeptical.  Less disappointing that way :-)

To keep the record straight I am also very cynical about press reports.
  • 8/2/2010 3:40 PM In reply to

Well I just don't think somebody in his position would get something like this wrong. But we'll see I guess!

-Jeremy
  • 8/2/2010 3:45 PM In reply to

JForce Games:
    Well I just don't think somebody in his position would get something like this wrong.
    Seriously?!? Management people gets stuff wrong all the time. We never even got access to the web cam hardware, why would we get Kinect access?!?
  • 8/2/2010 3:46 PM In reply to

JForce Games:
    get something like this wrong. But we'll see I guess!

As I said.  With my skeptical nature I read what he says completely differently to the way you do.  I don't think he will be wrong but the question was, 'can afford', not 'will be allowed to', nor 'will be able to'.  He answered the exact question in true political fashion.

In my opinion it does not confirm nor does it deny that Indie developers will be able to use Kinect.  It is vague not conclusive.

It is this intepretation of English that keeps lawyers in business and why we are not allowed to discuss legal points on these forums.

:-)
  • 8/2/2010 3:48 PM In reply to

JForce Games:
    Well I just don't think somebody in his position would get something like this wrong.

Of course not - high level managers giving vague press releases on distant future topics filtered through journalists are always 100% accurate!  Bwahahahaha...
  • 8/2/2010 4:14 PM In reply to

Don't forget its only been a few weeks since an official Microsoft person told the world that Xbox games can be converted to the phone by just changing 4 lines of code! (according to many blogs - I never did find the original source to see what he really said) You really can't trust everything you read on the internet.

From what the team have said publicly XNA 4.0 API is locked and loaded and all about phone. So unless there is a huge surprise coming its not happening in the 4.0 timescale.

Beyond that who knows. I'd guess even the team haven't got an official schedule for future versions yet. It will depend on who has the most money/clout. Clearly there is some advantage to having lots of Kinect games if folk are going to spend $150 on it. AAA studios can take years to make games so indie games would be a good way to fill the gap between launch and mass market. On the other hand do they want the brand mocked because of all the "Kinect Avatar Fart Massager" games? (though since Kinect is a TM I doubt indie games would be allowed to use it in their titles like they do with avatars). On top of that the phone stuff will clearly need future upgrades and maybe that looks like a bigger money maker for Microsoft so they move the XNA teams priorities over there...

So many decisions ;-)

• 8/2/2010 5:29 PM In reply to

The way Avatars were just dropped on us with little warning last year, I wouldn't be surprised at all if come November XNA 4.0 were released and "Kinect support" was one of its bullet points. I'd be equally unsurprised if we got nothing for the next 6 months to a year, as the XNA Team is pretty focused on WP7 from what I can tell. However, I firmly believe that it's a matter of "when" not "if".

I would LOVE Kinect support, but I'd much rather they simply gave us raw access to it instead of wrapping it and providing neat tidy access to a subset of it's features, or spending a huge amount of time to support all of its features. Part of that is because I'd be willing to do whatever it takes just to have access to it no matter how hard it was to use, and partially because maybe that would help reduce the deluge of "Kinect Massages with Avatars and Zombies plus a free screensaver" cash ins. ;)
  • 8/2/2010 5:54 PM In reply to

Hello, Creators!

I know everyone is by Kudo's statements. However, at this time only developers with established contracts with Microsoft have the ability to create Kinect games. Like full retail Xbox 360 games and Xbox LIVE Arcade games, Kinect games will be created by a select group of publishers that Microsoft has partnered with for the launch. Opening up Kinect development to XNA Creators Club members is something we may consider in the future, but no plans can be confirmed right now.

xxoo
    ~kathleen sanders
    XNA Community Manager
Page 1 of 1 (18 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion