Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (18 posts)

Error - No suitable graphics card supported. Could not find a Direct3D device that supports the XNA Framework HiDef Profile.

Last post 11/16/2017 3:50 PM by vama89. 17 replies.
  • 7/28/2010 6:39 PM

Error - No suitable graphics card supported. Could not find a Direct3D device that supports the XNA Framework HiDef Profile.

Hello,

I am trying to run a friend's Mobile 7 game built in XNA 4.0. I have XNA 3.1 and 4.0 installed. I have a GeForce Go 7400 with DirectX 11 and the latest driver installed. I'm running on Vista 32-bit OS on an HP laptop. My gfx card is installed properly and is showing so I don't know why I'm getting this message from VS2010 when I try to run the game after compiling it.

What do I need to install or have in order to get rid of the error message and play the game? Please help thank you.

My email is evan_salas@hotmail.com
  • 7/28/2010 7:12 PM In reply to

Re: Error - No suitable graphics card supported. Could not find a Direct3D device that supports the XNA Framework HiDef Profile.

Just becuase you have DX11 installed doesn't mean your card supports it.

GeForce Go 7400 is a DX9 card see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_Go_7_.28Go_7xxx.29_series

HiDef requires  DX10 capable card (or equivalent functionality which a mobile chipset is unlikely to do) see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnhar/archive/2010/03/12/reach-vs-hidef.aspx

So there is nothing you can do other than upgrade or write your game to the reach profile. Or stick to XNA 3.1 for PC games.
  • 8/11/2010 5:20 AM In reply to

Re: Error - No suitable graphics card supported. Could not find a Direct3D device that supports the XNA Framework HiDef Profile.

Even the D3D10-capable card language might be confusing, I'd consider changing that in the docs and in the messaging to everyone.  Either that or relaxing the requirements so that it matches up to what is required for a HW vendor to logo a D3D10 part.

My Dell M1330 laptop has a DX10-capable NVIDIA GeForce 8400M but I get the same error.  Yes its a mobile part but I can develop and play D3D10 games on it.  I'm guessing some format or another isnt supported, but I havent really looked into it since I just installed the XNA4/Phone SDK tonight. 
  • 9/15/2010 6:54 AM In reply to

if you occurred this problem in you development,  the following step can resolve this problem. fitst, start - run - input 'dxdiag'. then set DirectDraw is true, D3D is true, and then system will prompt 'The values used in the attempt to create the GraphicsDevice were invalid'. the end, input 'this.graphics.AllowMutilSampling = false' before you wrong code. is ok.
  • 9/16/2010 7:41 AM In reply to

I solved this problem by finding a question working the other way. The solution is to enable Reach instead of HiDef.

Open the Project Properties and and select the Reach option instead of HiDef and it should work straight away. Note: This is for a windows solution don't know if it will work in others.
  • 9/30/2010 2:09 PM In reply to

I'm having this kind of problem on my laptop. But here is the thing, my graphics card does support dx10 and I have june2010 version of dx installed and still its the error.

What can I do to fix this, other than using reach profile?
  • 10/5/2010 9:21 PM In reply to

I believe the XNA GS 4.0 emulator states it requires a WDDM 1.1 driver, which is an updated version of the driver. Your hardware supporting DirectX 10 is not sufficient. It must also have the newer driver release. This requires Windows Vista SP2 + KB 971644 or Windows 7.
  • 10/30/2010 3:08 AM In reply to

... Thank You VampireHunterD ...   
  • 10/31/2010 5:18 PM In reply to

This worked for me running a Nvidia 5200fx Thanks A lot
    Airashby:
    I solved this problem by finding a question working the other way. The solution is to enable Reach instead of HiDef.

Open the Project Properties and and select the Reach option instead of HiDef and it should work straight away. Note: This is for a windows solution don't know if it will work in others.
  • 11/21/2010 5:14 AM In reply to

thank you very much Airashby. that was a big problem for me
  • 12/1/2010 8:17 PM In reply to

While I completely agree with the idea behind the Reach & HiDef profiles the problem that lots of developers have is that hardware which used to work fine under 3.1 no longer works in 4.0 since you will be unable to any of the HiDef features if your graphics card fails on a single item. Personally this means that i can't work on my laptop which despite supposedly being DX10 and SM4.0 compatible won't run HiDef.

Since i didn't want to shell out for another laptop i've created a library which will disable the profile check and allow you to develop for both profiles on any hardware - obviously you'll probably want to enable the check when it comes to release, and there may be unexpected knock on effects as a result of using it (although i doubt it)

Hope this helps...
  • 12/7/2010 8:13 PM In reply to

Airashby:

Thanks for this info Airashby. After uninstalling Visual Express/XNA3.0 etc then installing Visual Express 2010/XNA4.0 etc the first error you get is that your graphics card is not supported -even just to open the blue window example. Sure the HiDef/Reach profile should be highlighted more.
  • 12/18/2010 12:27 AM In reply to

Following up on my previous post...Most people seem to be suggesting that if your card fails the HiDef capabilities check you should instead use Reach. There is now a capabilities check tool available http://xbox.create.msdn.com/en-US/education/catalog/utility/graphics_profile_checker which will show you why your card fails the check. In my case it turns out that the problem is lack of support for a single texture format (RGBA1010102). In cases like this i feel it is perfectly legitimate to hack the check whilst you are developing your game and then to remove the hack when you release rather than resign yourself to using the limited feature set of Reach or as seems to be the standard response 'Upgrade'.
  • 12/26/2010 3:19 PM In reply to

Airashby:

Thanks very much.
    Your solution is the right one.
    I can now write my games.

• 2/3/2011 2:44 AM In reply to

And (for those coming later to the 4.0 party) remember to change that on all your projects, not just the main game. If you have a pipeline runtime (like a sprite sheet, say) or a library or whatever using hi-def, you'll still get the complaint after you change your main game code.
  • 2/27/2011 8:02 PM In reply to

Thankyou Ege Bamyazi, for writing and sharing that DLL. I added it to my recently converted project and it works like you said.

I'm using it because a lot of my textures are larger than the maximum that REACH allows, but still smaller than the Xbox 360 maximum. This makes a lot more sense to make than either buying a new graphics card, or making smaller versions of my images JUST to run on my development machine with the REACH profile.

• 3/1/2011 7:02 AM In reply to

Airashby:

Bless you. Thanks, that worked!
  • 11/16/2017 3:50 PM In reply to

Airashby

7 years later and I got to say thanks! It worked. How did you know this?
Page 1 of 1 (18 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion