Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (11 posts)

Car Sound Programming

Last post 8/4/2010 2:31 AM by Ryder201. 10 replies.
  • 4/21/2010 4:09 PM

Car Sound Programming

In Car Race Games how the sounds of cars are programming? e.g when we accelerate the car its sound pitch will increase, so how to prgoram it?
  • 4/21/2010 4:16 PM In reply to

Re: Car Sound Programming

You can add a pitch variable in XACT that you can adjust via code. That and multi sampling, they will have multiple samples per car for different speeds, and fade betwen them as the car changes speed.

• 4/21/2010 4:18 PM In reply to

so how to find that samples?
  • 4/21/2010 4:20 PM In reply to

You must have missed the Racing Game starter kit. You might check it out.
  • 4/21/2010 4:36 PM In reply to

Ryder201:
    so how to find that samples?

Have you tried google or bing? look for license free sound effects.

• 4/21/2010 5:31 PM In reply to

i tried but i cant found a quality one
  • 4/21/2010 9:20 PM In reply to

What you ideally want is the sound of a car engine accelerating (and decelerating) through each of its gears and holding steady at various RPM's and then use bits of that in your game.  Clips like that can be tough to find.

The site below does have some sound effects like that.  You have to buy them, but I found one like that and I think it was $5.  They are royalty-free, so you can use them in your game without any issues.  You can do a low quality preview, so you know exactly what you're getting.

http://sound-effects-library.com/
  • 4/21/2010 10:51 PM In reply to

http://www.sounddogs.com/

Search for race car interior, or race car auto int

Good luck
  • 7/19/2010 11:08 PM In reply to

@Tackemon and @Big Daddio
     Thanks both of you, that's very good links, also i review the start kit but it's somehow complicated, are there a tut about this car sound programming in xna or some other platform?
  • 7/20/2010 10:51 AM In reply to

I'd suggest you check out some XACT/XNA tutorials and samples:

The information the previous posters gave you is pretty much all you need. In our engine (we're making a few racing games) we had a sound designer create a bunch of sounds for different types of cars. We have ignition sounds, revving sounds, gear shifts and a sound for driving in each gear. We use pitch changes and other advanced variables in XACT to determine the sounds that should be played and how they should be mixed. It does all this by just supplying a few variables to the XACT sound such as speed and acceleration amount.

It's one of the most complex examples of how to use XACT but when you get it working you'll know the tool much more thoroughly and be able to do some amazing things with it.
  • 8/4/2010 2:31 AM In reply to

Retroburn Game Studios:
    I'd suggest you check out some XACT/XNA tutorials and samples:

The information the previous posters gave you is pretty much all you need. In our engine (we're making a few racing games) we had a sound designer create a bunch of sounds for different types of cars. We have ignition sounds, revving sounds, gear shifts and a sound for driving in each gear. We use pitch changes and other advanced variables in XACT to determine the sounds that should be played and how they should be mixed. It does all this by just supplying a few variables to the XACT sound such as speed and acceleration amount.

It's one of the most complex examples of how to use XACT but when you get it working you'll know the tool much more thoroughly and be able to do some amazing things with it.
    thanks, also do you know any good resources for sounds?
Page 1 of 1 (11 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion