Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (6 posts)

best 3d modeller for netbook

Last post 3/26/2010 2:56 AM by the game generator. 5 replies.
  • 1/8/2010 12:10 PM

best 3d modeller for netbook

I got hold of a 1GB notebook for xmas and I'll be doing some dev work on my game for that. It runs visual studio express and my game ok, but I'm now thinking of putting some 3d modeller software on it. Does anyone already do this kind of work on a netbook? I am looking at what software would be best given the limitations of the netbook. I was thinking of blender or 3ds max.
  • 1/8/2010 3:19 PM In reply to

Re: best 3d modeller for netbook

PortlyEasyLay:
    I was thinking of blender or 3ds max.
    I used to use blender on my 512MB laptop and it works fine - renders take a while but I'd imagine that would be similar for most apps.

I got a lot of lag when animating but taking off the sub-surf modifiers got it close to real-time. wack 'em back on for export & bob's your uncle.

never used 3ds so cant compare, but blender does the job fine for me.

• 1/8/2010 6:41 PM In reply to

i used to run 3ds max on a laptop from 2002 as recently as 2 years ago, i would assume that you are fine with it
  • 1/11/2010 9:57 AM In reply to

ok thanks for help!

Just one more question - is there any decent offline documentation on how to use blender? I'm thinking of a free .pdf file to look at

thanks in advance ;)
  • 1/17/2010 9:26 PM In reply to

You might also want to try out Carrara.  It's a very intuitive and powerful 3D modeling application that doesn't have staggering system requirements.  Modeling on an old G4 laptop is pretty good, so a more modern netbook should do alright.  There's a free trial available and I think there's going to be a free public beta for Carrara 8 in the next few weeks.

• 3/26/2010 2:56 AM In reply to

i used to do the same thing...... i had a toshiba satelite from 2002 running 3DS Max.  It would take a long time to render though, but modeled small things pretty good.
Page 1 of 1 (6 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion