Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 2 (33 posts) 1 2 Next >

Screen Samples of my Game!

Last post 8/4/2010 10:57 PM by aurelious. 32 replies.
  • 10/27/2009 3:30 PM

Screen Samples of my Game!

Hey Guys

Here's a couple of Screen Samples for the X Box Live Title "The Atlantian" Im doing all the artwork and I have a composer, so now Im just looking for a programmer. Anyway heres a couple of samples from Level's 1 and 4. I hope you dig!

LEVEL 1

LEVEL 4

• 10/27/2009 4:07 PM In reply to

Re: Screen Samples of my Game!

Very nice! Looks like it could be a pretty cool game.
  • 10/27/2009 4:11 PM In reply to

Nice graphics.

Saw your post in Help wanted... some feedback.

You can't sell XBLIG for $10 any more. 400 MSP ($5) is the max now.

• 10/27/2009 4:49 PM In reply to

Nice use of color. Those guys all look really depressed, though. Is that the intention? Generally, you'd want the heroes to look happy and ready to take on the world, and the enemies to look like they're aggressively defending their territory. Those guys look like they just heard that their cat died -- hunched shoulders, drawn-down mouth, etc. Maybe that's the intention, but if it is, I'm not sure it actually works...
  • 10/28/2009 2:09 AM In reply to

Thanks for the Feedback guys!

This is the look I was going for but I do think I will give the player character (Blue Dude) A smirk instead of a frown. As for the Marines, they aren't too happy since the players character is basically a walking plague that sucks the life force out of anyone close enough to him, when he's injured.

The images from these to levels are more bleak while some levels will have a good bit of humor in them. I'll update as I go. Thanks again!

• 10/28/2009 4:49 PM In reply to

they aren't too happy since the players character is basically a walking plague that sucks the life force out of anyone close enough to him

Perhaps you could make them happy when they're far away, and sad when they're close to him? :-)
  • 10/30/2009 3:26 AM In reply to

Nice looking layout of characters and color. The characters look like they just woke up. Do the faces only animate when an enemy strikes? What type of art program did you use?
  • 10/30/2009 7:03 AM In reply to

Answer
    Reply Quote
    I like the look of these, as I'm a fan of bold use of line in games.  Are these simply proof-of-concept?  Or actual production shots?  It's a challenge to balance such large 2D assets in regards to memory.
  • 10/30/2009 2:46 PM In reply to

Thanks for all the input guys! The main character has about 5 different expressions this is just a default face, the marines, only have 2 at the moment so I think I'll go ahead and tweak their faces a bit.  I drew everything on paper, scanned and colored in photoshop.  These are not actual production shots, they are screen samples taken in order to give an idea of the final product. What I did was flattend the entire background after completion with the exeption of objects that the player, allies and enemies will walk behind, i.e. bushes, trash cans, large rocks, things of that nature. Again thanks for all the input!
  • 10/31/2009 9:21 PM In reply to

Wow looks really nice.  Im also imprssed by all the feedback youve gotten.  Everytime I post something no one says anything.
  • 11/2/2009 3:46 PM In reply to

Thank you very much, I was also very surprised. I really value the constructive crits and complements alike.
  • 11/2/2009 5:08 PM In reply to

Very nice, looks like you've put a lot of effort into both the characters and levels. only thing I think could do with an improvement is the main characters heads. they look a little detached from there bodies, kinda like a generic soldier toy with different heads popped on. Maybe a little bit of repositioning could do the trick. Besides that it looks really cool.
  • 11/2/2009 6:04 PM In reply to

Looks really cool. I especially like the aliens ^_^. Seems like it would be a fun game to play. Hope there will be enough blood :P
  • 11/5/2009 12:56 AM In reply to

Thanks guys, ok so tweak the head a bit.  Make him look like its actually attached and not floating lol.
    I'm not sure if you were teasing about the blood...more blood? yes no...maybe so?  I was thinking of have an turn on/off blood option.
  • 11/11/2009 10:05 PM In reply to

UPDATE!

This level Took me a while, because of the z shaped level layout.

Here are the Screen Samples for the 2nd Level, the Flashback Origin Level. You can see the familiar Enemies from Level 1, but with a different color scheme and attributes. This is also the only Level that the Main character will play as a normal human being with no powers what so ever (this is why he is not blue in this level). However he will have melee weapons in later levels of the game.

• 11/11/2009 11:18 PM In reply to

Jason Bienvenu:
    This level Took me a while, because of the z shaped level layout.

You're building levels already?  Are you buliding them in your level editor, or simply as a huge image in your graphics app?  I thought you were searching for programmers which is why I'm asking.

I really like your artwork, but am concerned that there isn't enough differentation between characters and backgrounds. Some of those images are pretty busy.
  • 11/12/2009 12:44 AM In reply to

Your right there's too much going on, I'll have to remove some stuff and take down the color saturation on the backgrounds in order to make the characters POP and not get lost in the background.

The composer and I agreed that we should have about half of the game done, art wise in order to give a potential programmer a good idea of game play, the look and feel of the project and where we want the game to ultimately end up. so while the programmer we pick starts with the first half of the game, we can finish up on the last half.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jason
  • 11/12/2009 4:31 AM In reply to

That sounds fine to me, but you had said you were already creating 'levels'.  I'm not sure if you're clear on exactly how you need to prepare your art assets to be used in a game engine.  Everything you've shown so far makes for nice proof-of-concepts, but you can't use them in that state.

What I'm saying is that I hope you are properly seperating your background textures on texture sheets that can be easily reused, while keeping memory overhead low.  I'd hate for you to put together some nice looking images, only to find that you can't technically use them.

I know you are under no obligation to share them, but one look at your texture sheet would give me confidence that you are on the right track.
  • 11/12/2009 1:49 PM In reply to

Hey Dean

This is my first time trying to create a game, so I'm completely ignorant to the programming aspect unfortunately, so I'm not sure what your asking about the texturing. But I can tell you that the artwork all broken up into layers at the moment in Photoshop.  I have a file for each character and their movements, then for the creation of the levels I have a large image that is broken up into 3 sections, a background, a playable area for walking and game play, and on some levels a foreground area, such as a bush are crate that the players and enemies will pass behind giving an idea of depth. 

P.s. are you an Artist or Programmer?

Thanks again for you help.

Jason
  • 11/12/2009 11:37 PM In reply to

Hi Jason, I'm primarily an artist, but also program.

The way you are doing your background isn't really what I would recommend for a side-scroller, due to memory.  The issue is the size of each background image.  So right now you have 3 (I'm assuming HUGE) images.  What are their dimensions?  You won't be able to even use them in the 360 if they are larger than 8000x8000, and textures this size are overkill.  If your texures are larger than this, then you could split them up into 8000x8000 chunks, but then we're loading an awful lot of huge textures, and the 360 doesn't really have the memory for that.  Compounded with the huge characters you have, memory will probably be an issue for you.

No, the best way to go about it is to create a texture sheet with seperate little texture 'brushes' that can be reused.  A piece of ground, a single fence, a stain on the wall, a tree... these need to be seperated into rectangular slots on a texture sheet, and then you use an editor to piece the textures together to make a level.

Take a look at this sample from my game.

Normally the red lines won't be there in the final, but they help me to split up everything into nice rectangles, and the checkerboard background is transparent.  See pieces of ground, bushes, etc.  Then look at screens in my link in my sig to see how they are put together to make a level.

It's a lot of work to plan your textures like this, but there are two advantages.  The first is organic looking levels, the second is that you can reuse textures to save memory.  In you screenshots I see a lot of reused pieces, so this would be ideal for you.  Sadly, it means that any level 'design' you've already done in Photoshop can't really be used in the final game.

I would spend a bit of time and research texture sheets for various platformers... particularly older ones from the NES/SNES era,to get an idea of how to approach splitting up your textures.  You might come across backgrounds for one-on-one fighters, which do tend to use a large, single background, but this isn't ideal for a side-scroller.
  • 11/12/2009 11:59 PM In reply to

Here's a sample from Super Mario Bros. on the NES.

Notice that all of the overworld is squeezed on one little texture.  The level designer can then use this single texture in the editor to make a variety of levels.  The editor should have a way of letting you choose a single 'block' of texture (I'm guessing a 16x16 or 32x32 sized texture in this case), and let you paint a level using those as brushes.

I'm not sure if this is an official sprite sheet, since it's a bit odd that the block mario is on is copied over and over, wasting space, but you get the idea.  Taking a look at this image shows you how far we've come in terms of console RAM :)
  • 11/13/2009 12:23 AM In reply to

Noogy:
    I'm not sure if this is an official sprite sheet, since it's a bit odd that the block mario is on is copied over and over, wasting space, but you get the idea.  Taking a look at this image shows you how far we've come in terms of console RAM :)
    The NES didn't have much ram, or even a frame buffer. It used dedicated tiling and sprite hardware. You loaded your tiles to the correct spot, and told the machine where to draw them. Then you had your sprites, and the hardware could only keep track of so many of them on every scanline. Which is why some games had flickering characters.

Jason, this "game" looks really nice. I hope to see it fully developed and released.
  • 11/13/2009 1:11 AM In reply to

Thanks Dean

This is going to be a huge help, I have the elements broken up into pieces like you showed i.e. bush, tree, building, and so on, but some stuff is all placed together, so I'll have to tweak it a bit to make those corrections, thanks again. You have some awesome art by the way!

An thanks Dark, glad you like what I have so far. ^_^
  • 11/13/2009 2:14 AM In reply to

Glad that helps Jason.  Please note that there isn't a right or wrong way to do it... it really depends on your engine tech.  I just wanted to get you thinking more in the terms of proper asset preparation.  Perhaps your programmers will create an engine that makes everything I said obsolete, but it's worth talking about.
  • 11/13/2009 2:29 PM In reply to

Dean

I just wanted to say that I followed your Link for DUST an it looks FANTASTIC! I can not wait to play it! After seeing your work I am very flattered that you have taken an interest in mine.

The only suggestion I would make is with the logo for the game, I had a couple of ideas, an being a graphic designer myself I would love to send you a few.

Jason
Page 1 of 2 (33 posts) 1 2 Next > Previous Discussion Next Discussion
var gDomain='m.webtrends.com'; var gDcsId='dcschd84w10000w4lw9hcqmsz_8n3x'; var gTrackEvents=1; var gFpc='WT_FPC'; /*<\/scr"+"ipt>");} /*]]>*/
DCSIMG