Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (8 posts)

How to set output path and assembly name properties?

Last post 8/21/2011 5:20 AM by snoozbuster. 7 replies.
  • 10/20/2009 3:30 PM

How to set output path and assembly name properties?

Hey, I tried to build the online 3D tutorial demo and got this error at the end of chapter 4:

cannot start debugging because the debug target 'C:\documents and settings\visual studio 2008\projects\3dgame\bin\x86\debug\3dgame.exe' is missing
    Please build the project and retry, or set the OutputPath and AssemblyName properties appropriately to point at the correct location for the target assembly.

The error window however says:
    "'more than one output asset is name enemy.xnb'. You must explicitly specify asset names to resolve the conflict.

I don't understand this because I have 2 files for enemy which came in the downloadable folder neither of which are .xnb

Any ideas what I should do?
    Or if there are any other threads with this problem?
  • 10/20/2009 3:34 PM In reply to

Re: How to set output path and assembly name properties?

That "enemy.xnb" file is coming from your Content project, which is building it from some source file.  If your right-click on a file in your Content project and click "Properties", the Property Grid should appear and there will be an "Asset Name" property that determines the final name of the .xnb file that is produced.  You can change it to something else, however you have to make sure that any code that loads that asset uses the new name.

Which specific tutorial are you talking about?
  • 10/20/2009 4:00 PM In reply to

Just the basic tutorials in the getting started section:
    http://creators.xna.com/en-GB/education/gettingstarted/bg3d/chapter4

I changed the asset name and rebuilt it but I got the same error for other models so I changed those as well.
    But now I have an error saying "the type or namespace name 'game1' could not be found."

On top of that, each asset with a changed name is now "built 2 times with different settings"

I'm pretty lost
    Btw, d'u know how to paste images in here?
    It might be better to send screenshots
  • 11/6/2010 3:50 AM In reply to

hi i get this message.. --------------------------- Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express --------------------------- Visual Studio cannot start debugging because the debug target 'C:\Documents and Settings\kfgk\My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\AnimatedSprite_4_0\AnimatedSpriteWindows\AnimatedSpriteWindows\bin\x86\Debug\AnimatedSpriteWindows.exe' is missing. Please build the project and retry, or set the OutputPath and AssemblyName properties appropriately to point at the correct location for the target assembly. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- ..when i try to compile this tutorial's files. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb203866%28v=XNAGameStudio.31%29.aspx how can i change OutputPath and AssemblyName properties appropriately to point at the correct location for the target assembly?? ...and change them to which location?? thanks in advance
  • 11/14/2010 5:42 PM In reply to

open the solution explorer right-click your solution go to properties then configuration properties and make sure the platform is x86 AND MOST IMPORTANTLY there is a small box under build ...tick that!!
  • 1/28/2011 3:14 AM In reply to

I just started in all this XNA stuff. I am having the same error message but all I’m trying to do is make one .png image show after the debug fallowing the xnadevleopment.com/tutorials on Creating a 2D Sprite(XNA 3.0 BETA). I have tried making new projects but the same error shows up. Also, does anyone know how to change the ID picture? I would like to change it from a donut.
  • 8/20/2011 8:56 PM In reply to

MissTrouble:
    open the solution explorer right-click your solution go to properties then configuration properties and make sure the platform is x86 AND MOST IMPORTANTLY there is a small box under build ...tick that!!

thanks, this one solved the problem
  • 8/21/2011 5:20 AM In reply to

You last two that posted, please don't drag ancient posts from the dead, create a new post and link to an old one that you might think is similar. Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 (8 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion