Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (8 posts)

Recomend Best C# and xna book

Last post 7/31/2008 6:09 PM by MattSimpson. 7 replies.
  • 8/12/2007 12:30 AM

Recomend Best C# and xna book

Well I only know some C# like the basics stuff so I need a good C# book and I just started with xna so I need a begginer book on xna thnx in avance if anyone can recomend some
  • 8/12/2007 1:00 AM In reply to

Re: Recomend Best C# and xna book

From the FAQs:

C# Books - http://forums.xna.com/thread/16573.aspx
    XNA Books (well, support for them, but it was the only list I saw) - http://forums.xna.com/thread/8135.aspx
    Other XNA resources - http://forums.xna.com/thread/9937.aspx
  • 8/13/2007 1:41 PM In reply to

I can't recommend any C# books since I have never read any.  I transitioned from C++ so it wasn't necessary anyway.

I can recommend an excellent Xna book though; Microsoft XNA Unleashed by Chad Carter.  It just came out on the first so it might be a little tough to find, but it's worth it.  I am only on chapter 8, but so far it's great.  It's easy to understand and follow along with the author.  He also explains why he does everything, which is huge for me.  I can't stand when people just say do it, and don't offer any explanation at all. 

I also got XNA Game Studio Creator's Guide by Stephed Cawood and Pat McGee, but I am not impressed at all.  I am still considering taking it back for a refund.

• 8/13/2007 1:59 PM In reply to

I would not have understood XNA quicky enough to finish a game for the DBP contest if it weren't for Professional XNA Programming by Wrox.  Now they DON'T always explain everything they do, so it assumes some previous OOP and programming skills and ability to check some of the examples, but it was enough for me to start making some real progress in XNA in only a few days, and it's pretty much the only resource I used for the entire game.  I also used several of their Helper classes, although I had to modify their Sprite and TextureFont classes quite a bit since they didn't have all the features I needed.
  • 8/13/2007 2:39 PM In reply to

I got the same book, it definately expects you have a baseline understanding of coding and C# before you start using the book.  I have never programmed in C#, but  have some programming experience in C, C++, Pascal (don't laugh...), BASIC and JAVA.  It was definately a big help, a lot of the info you might have been able to find on various web sites and tutorials, but having everyting in place made it a lot easier to focus on coding and less on using google to find a useful totorial.

I'm not all the way through the book, and use it more as a reference when I get stuck on something and need some direction.  There does seem to be a good amount of books on XNA coming out if Amazon is any kind of indication. 
  • 8/13/2007 2:44 PM In reply to

Killjoy77:
    I got the same book, it definately expects you have a baseline understanding of coding and C# before you start using the book.

Granted, they assume some C# knowledge, but if you have prior Java or OOP C++ experience it's not really that difficult to look at the example code and translate the syntax.  I knew almost nothing of C# going into this, and that XNA book's code examples were all I needed to figure it out.
  • 8/13/2007 8:38 PM In reply to

DarkAgeTat2:

I also got XNA Game Studio Creator's Guide by Stephed Cawood and Pat McGee, but I am not impressed at all.  I am still considering taking it back for a refund.

Thanks from saving me on getting this book. well I just need to find a C# book thinking of getting "Ron Penton - Beginning C# Game Programming " But if thiers a better book please post

• 7/31/2008 6:09 PM In reply to

Brian Cable:
    I would not have understood XNA quicky enough to finish a game for the DBP contest if it weren't for Professional XNA Programming by Wrox.  Now they DON'T always explain everything they do, so it assumes some previous OOP and programming skills and ability to check some of the examples, but it was enough for me to start making some real progress in XNA in only a few days, and it's pretty much the only resource I used for the entire game.  I also used several of their Helper classes, although I had to modify their Sprite and TextureFont classes quite a bit since they didn't have all the features I needed.

Brian, how much XNA and/or C# experience did you have prior to starting your game? How long did it take to build your game from starting to learn XNA/C# to finishing your project?

Page 1 of 1 (8 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion