Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (5 posts)

highest resolution supported, 1080p, 720p, etc, what does it mean?

Last post 9/23/2009 6:53 PM by The Shape of Games to Come. 4 replies.
  • 9/23/2009 10:29 AM

highest resolution supported, 1080p, 720p, etc, what does it mean?

So you have the option to choose the highest supported resolution when you submit a game.
    So if my game works in 1080p but is only rendering in 720p do I choose 1080p?
    Doesn't your game have to support all resolutions to pass peer review? So shouldn't they all be 1080p? Or isn't that the case?
    I know retail games always have 1080p in the features boxes and whatnot yet aren't even rendering in true 720p sometimes.
    So what is the point of having a highest resolution supported thing?
  • 9/23/2009 11:22 AM In reply to

Re: highest resolution supported, 1080p, 720p, etc, what does it mean?

It depends on what you set the buffer width and height to in the game's constructor, i.e.

Graphics.PrefferedBackbufferWidth = 1280;
    Graphics.PrefferedBackbufferHeight = 720;

In that case it defaults to 720p and you should only tick the "720p" box. If you have some code setup to detect if 1080p is available and use it, and change the fonts/drawing/ect so it stays in the safe area and is still readable, then you can check 1080p.

Personally, I use 720p which is guaranteed to work on all TVs, HD or not, so I only have to worry about one size for the safe area.

The Best Practices doc explains it in more detail.
  • 9/23/2009 1:21 PM In reply to

Thanks, I just put my first game in playtest and had this same question as well- the help isn't very helpful. 

Suppose you made 3 copies of game assets, designed for 1080, 720, and 480 and determined which to use at game start - is there a way to indicate "native" support for each resolution?

Mike
  • 9/23/2009 1:41 PM In reply to

Good question. I think you just select the highest resolution you support, but I could be wrong since in the data for GameFinder I get from xboxindies.com, each game has a list of supported resolutions. (unless it's just every resolution below the max res you selected? hmm...)
  • 9/23/2009 6:53 PM In reply to

LocoPuyo:
    So you have the option to choose the highest supported resolution when you submit a game.
    So if my game works in 1080p but is only rendering in 720p do I choose 1080p?
    Doesn't your game have to support all resolutions to pass peer review? So shouldn't they all be 1080p? Or isn't that the case?
    I know retail games always have 1080p in the features boxes and whatnot yet aren't even rendering in true 720p sometimes.
    So what is the point of having a highest resolution supported thing?

XBLIG do not need to support high definition.  I actually remember reading an article recently about how that standard was being loosened for retail games as well.  In order to say you support 1080p, you should actually be rendering in that mode.
Page 1 of 1 (5 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion