Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 2 of 2 (28 posts) < Previous 1 2

How to prevent the mouse from going out of the window?

Last post 7/30/2007 11:49 PM by Nick Gravelyn. 27 replies.
  • 7/30/2007 3:13 AM In reply to

Re: How to prevent the mouse from going out of the window?

Tonisius:
    Nick Gravelyn:
    Tonisius:
    What about in an FPS game being played in windowed mode?  Wouldn't that justify keeping the mouse in the window at all times?

Most FPSs don't even give a windowed option.

Actually, I don't know more than 2 games that don't have windowed mode, one being Serious Sam 2.

Every other FPS game I've ever played has an option for windowed mode. It's handy when you want to use all your monitors properly.

Especially when debugging a full screen game, it crashes, you can't unload the graphics device. Good luck with trying to get back to your desktop.

But yeah, there are good reasons to lock the position of the mouse on the screen.  

Then allow me to rephrase, most FPS players won't use a windowed option. Most gamers playing games such as FPSs are likely to run in fullscreen (being the default for many of them and because it generally runs faster that way).

Either way, debug code is and should be different than release code. For debugging, you are correct that it makes perfect sense to use windowed mode and lock the cursor. That is not a problem. I'm saying that for release code that is going to the end user, I would discourage it. When in windowed mode, it gives the illusion that you can easily move to another window. That is broken by the fact that the game has restricted your mouse movement to stay in its window.

It's all personal preference and of course there is no hard and fast rule, but I would advise people to only use such techniques for debugging or temporary purposes as mentioned above (where the cursor is only clipped while the right mouse button is held).
  • 7/30/2007 3:20 AM In reply to

Ah, but from my experience at internet cafes most kids I've noticed playing their CounterStrike play in windowed mode when they are wanting to chat with friends at the same time. The guys that are playing full screen are playing just the game, and not multi tasking.

most of the games I know and seen people play, have the `pause menu` which lets you `escape` the windows by simply dragging the mouse away from the window like you would expect. I like that feature in most good FPS games.

But I'll keep this in mind for future reference.  Since my 2 current game projects are similar, one is a 3rd person shooting game, and a 3rd person hackslash game.  This thread has been helpful, and I'll keep all the input and criticism open from what I've read on what people want to expect from a game experience.
  • 7/30/2007 11:49 PM In reply to

Tonisius:
    Ah, but from my experience at internet cafes most kids I've noticed playing their CounterStrike play in windowed mode when they are wanting to chat with friends at the same time. The guys that are playing full screen are playing just the game, and not multi tasking.

Yeah. I forgot about those gamers too. Good thing to keep in mind.

But I'll keep this in mind for future reference.  Since my 2 current game projects are similar, one is a 3rd person shooting game, and a 3rd person hackslash game.  This thread has been helpful, and I'll keep all the input and criticism open from what I've read on what people want to expect from a game experience.

Always a good idea. This is my opinion. I'm sure others' are different. Take them all and make as many people happy as you can.
Page 2 of 2 (28 posts) < Previous 1 2 Previous Discussion Next Discussion