Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 7 of 9 (205 posts) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >

XNA 3.1: Avatar

Last post 1/12/2016 9:30 PM by caseygfut. 204 replies.
  • 6/28/2009 11:58 PM In reply to

Re: XNA 3.1: Avatar

Ha, I had the same idea. :-) I love those games.

I think it will be hard to pull something like that off visually though, since SSB relies heavily on inflating fists and feet for moves, which AFAIK would be against the Avatar rules. Hmm...
  • 6/29/2009 12:45 AM In reply to

UberGeekGames:
    Ha, I had the same idea. :-) I love those games.

I think it will be hard to pull something like that off visually though, since SSB relies heavily on inflating fists and feet for moves, which AFAIK would be against the Avatar rules. Hmm...

Indeed.  I expect many people had the same idea.  I don't plan on making a clone though, so little differences like that I don't think will be a problem.

Besides the file sizes perhaps being an issue, I am also disappointed to see we don't have access to the body size.  We have height, but no access to the weight.  That will be a setback... as that would have been useful for defining hit box sizes.
    I wonder how long until someone decodes that AvatarDescription.
  • 6/29/2009 9:28 AM In reply to

The AvatarDescription is pretty straightforward except for the last 19 bytes wich make up some kind of checksum so you can't make up new AvatarDescriptions on your own. Reading out the body size or any other single value shouldn't be very hard though.. just dump the description of your avatar, change the body size from the dashboard and dump the description it again to see wich value changes.
  • 7/1/2009 3:13 AM In reply to

AtraX:
    The AvatarDescription is pretty straightforward except for the last 19 bytes wich make up some kind of checksum so you can't make up new AvatarDescriptions on your own. Reading out the body size or any other single value shouldn't be very hard though.. just dump the description of your avatar, change the body size from the dashboard and dump the description it again to see wich value changes.

For anyone else interested in getting the avatar's weight for collision, physics or other purposes

Bytes 5 and 6 were the only ones that changed other than the last 19.

Index Thinnest Thin Average Thick Thickest
    5 191 191 0 63 63
    6 128 0 0 0 128
  • 7/10/2009 6:55 AM In reply to

SRH:
    AtraX:

For anyone else interested in getting the avatar's weight for collision, physics or other purposes

Bytes 5 and 6 were the only ones that changed other than the last 19.

Index Thinnest Thin Average Thick Thickest
    5 191 191 0 63 63
    6 128 0 0 0 128

I´m looking for this info too. Does anyone know?
  • 7/12/2009 1:25 PM In reply to

Hi all, I've written a further tutorial on avatars, this time covering how to easily keep an avatarDescription in a persistant fashion, with the aid of a little parsing script I've made to make the process quicker. :) You can check it out here [/plug]
  • 7/12/2009 2:28 PM In reply to

Cool.

It looks like I just lost the animator on my project... which means I'll have to be doing the animating sans a copy of Maya.  Has there been any progress with getting the rigging to work in Blender?  I'm completely new to Blender, so if anyone has/could write a tutorial on animating avatars in Blender, you would be my friend forever.
  • 7/12/2009 6:07 PM In reply to

I've been trying everything I can think of to get it exporting from Blender - no luck. The data is always either A) horribly corrupted beyond repair or 2) nonexistant.

:-(
  • 7/12/2009 6:58 PM In reply to

UberGeekGames:
    I've been trying everything I can think of to get it exporting from Blender - no luck. The data is always either A) horribly corrupted beyond repair or 2) nonexistant.

:-(

Very sad.  I don't even know enough to really understand what the problem is.  I understand Blender has a very large and active community.  Have you tried posting to their forums with the issues you are running into?
  • 7/12/2009 7:37 PM In reply to

I suppose with enough knowledge of Python it might be feasible to write an exporter to a custom format that we then read in with XNA, but Blender's API is very strange. I've yet to figure out how it handles animations - I suppose I could try posting to their forums and seeing if we can get help there, but I don't think the format is the problem.

The strange thing is that the XNA-modified FBX exporter *should* be working. But the bone data gets terribly corrupted whenever I try that, which leads me to believe Blender is doing something screwy with the Avatar's bones...
  • 7/16/2009 12:02 AM In reply to

I heard someone indicate that perhaps the animation could be accomplished on Softimage Mod Tool Pro.  Anyone know if the rigging exists there?

I've seen the download under the partners section... but I've never actually tried using it.
  • 7/16/2009 12:08 AM In reply to

We are working on educational material that will demonstrate how load custom animations. I can’t comment on the details or when it will be coming out.
  • 7/16/2009 12:52 PM In reply to

It was discussed earlier, but we could never get the skeletons imported into XSI correctly, unfortunately.

Dean:
    We are working on educational material that will demonstrate how load custom animations. I can’t comment on the details or when it will be coming out.

Cool, can't wait! Maybe that will solve our problems!
  • 7/20/2009 8:01 PM In reply to

The rig and sample can now be found in the education catalog. http://creators.xna.com/en-US/education/catalog/
  • 7/20/2009 11:13 PM In reply to

Dean:
    The rig and sample can now be found in the education catalog. http://creators.xna.com/en-US/education/catalog/

First: You guys rock.  Massive thanks.

Second: My fears are being confirmed.  Every single one of the sample animations is 10MB.  15 animations is NOT enough for any kind of fighting game... ignoring the obvious need for little things like music, sound effects, and code.  Hopefully smaller files can be made without sacrificing too much on the quality side...
    Time to educate myself.
  • 7/20/2009 11:38 PM In reply to

SRH:
    Every single one of the sample animations is 10MB.

Is that before or after they've been through the content pipeline and been compressed? What size are the XNB files?
  • 7/21/2009 12:43 AM In reply to

Premium only?? =(

I´m a trial member...

The ZMan:
    SRH:

Is that before or after they've been through the content pipeline and been compressed? What size are the XNB files?

looks like they are compressed
  • 7/21/2009 12:53 AM In reply to

Rodrigo Cardoso:
    Premium only?? =(

I´m a trial member...

Some samples are premiium, some are not. It helps add value to the creators club if they keep some things premium.

Rodrigo Cardoso:

If you are a trial member and cannot get the content how do you know?
  • 7/21/2009 1:03 AM In reply to

The ZMan:
    SRH:

Haha... I did say it was time to educate myself didn't I?

The xnb files seem to run around 200KB.
    Still significant, as I am probably looking at 100+ animations.  But not a deal-breaker.
  • 7/21/2009 1:46 AM In reply to

The ZMan:
    Rodrigo Cardoso:
    Premium only?? =(

I´m a trial member...

Some samples are premiium, some are not. It helps add value to the creators club if they keep some things premium.

I know! I was only expressing my sadness for not being a Premium member right now =)

The ZMan:

Rodrigo Cardoso:

If you are a trial member and cannot get the content how do you know?

I was talking about the xnb files. They are compressed, aren't they? =P
  • 7/21/2009 5:29 AM In reply to

Rodrigo Cardoso:
    I was talking about the xnb files. They are compressed, aren't they? =P

They might be - depends on the content settings and if you are in debug or release.
  • 7/26/2009 5:46 PM In reply to

Has anyone successfully used the samples to make custom animations?

When exporting to .fbx in SoftImage I get 14 warnings about "missing texture support".  In the description it says "Force UV mapping projection" and then lists BlendShapeEarDefault, boy_body_mesh, boy_hair, etc.

When I try to use the generated .fbx in my project I get an error:
    Error    2    Missing asset "Path\SharedContent\Animation\Pictures\Head_SkinFeaturesColorMap.tga".

I ran the export twice, making sure to use the same settings and taking the same steps as the documentation included in the custom animation example.

Looking in the SoftImage AvatarRig directory I saw there was a Pictures folder that contained Head_SkinFeaturesColorMap.tga.  I copied the folder and it's contents into my project, but this time when I tried to build I got the following error:

Error    1    Cannot autodetect which importer to use for "Animation\Pictures\texfile24.tif". There are no importers which handle this file type. Specify the importer that handles this file type in your project.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

• 7/26/2009 7:29 PM In reply to

While the custom processor in the sample doesn’t require the textures in the imported FBX file the FBX importer that is used to import the FBX file does require that it can find all texture paths.

The first thing I would check is that you are opening the rig or animation files correctly in Softimage. If you just click the file or select file open you are most likely not opening the file correctly and it will not find the textures. When you open the file does the character appear to be fully textured or only a solid color? If it only appears solid please read the “readme.htm” file in the root directory of the animation rig or animations download.

If the character appears to be fully textured in Softimage then that means you texture paths are getting messed up somewhere else along the line. When you export the FBX file please use the same setting that are shown in the documentation. Please note the doc describes a specific location that needs to be selected to save your file to. This makes sure that the paths in the final FBX file end up correct.

If none of these work for you then you can try to export the FBX as ascii format and uncheck embed textures. This will allow you to view where the model thinks the textures should be. You can manually fix up the paths in the file. I would highly discourage this since it requires you fixing many texture paths for each file.

Please let me know if that helps.
  • 7/26/2009 8:35 PM In reply to

Dean:
    While the custom processor in the sample doesn’t require the textures in the imported FBX file the FBX importer that is used to import the FBX file does require that it can find all texture paths.

The first thing I would check is that you are opening the rig or animation files correctly in Softimage. If you just click the file or select file open you are most likely not opening the file correctly and it will not find the textures. When you open the file does the character appear to be fully textured or only a solid color? If it only appears solid please read the “readme.htm” file in the root directory of the animation rig or animations download.

Thanks for the reply.  The character is not a solid color, but rather has black hair, colored sneakers, etc.  I'm not sure if that is what you mean by "fully textured" (I don't see eyes, mouth, etc.)
    I am pretty sure that I had followed the directions as outlined in that file when opening the rig... but just to make sure I was going to make a new project and start over.  Unfortunately it won't let me make a project in the directory now (it says cannot create a project in a project or some such) and it also won't let me delete the old project (just gives me a generic "cannot delete project" message).  This is extremely frustrating.  I deleted the entire Animation Rig directory and it still gives me the same message.  I'm going to wipe SoftImage and reinstall it.

Dean:

If the character appears to be fully textured in Softimage then that means you texture paths are getting messed up somewhere else along the line. When you export the FBX file please use the same setting that are shown in the documentation. Please note the doc describes a specific location that needs to be selected to save your file to. This makes sure that the paths in the final FBX file end up correct.

If none of these work for you then you can try to export the FBX as ascii format and uncheck embed textures. This will allow you to view where the model thinks the textures should be. You can manually fix up the paths in the file. I would highly discourage this since it requires you fixing many texture paths for each file.

Please let me know if that helps.

I had been sure to save it in the location specified as per the .htm file:
    "Navigate to the directory where the animation .exp file is located. This is important to ensure that the texture paths in the FBX file export correctly."
    In my case this was was the same directory as where the original avatar rig was saved.

Anyway, I set it up to export as ASCII.  I'm not sure if I was looking in the right spot, but under one of the textures that couldn't be found there was a path property:

C:\Documents and Settings\Solomon\My Documents\XNA\Avatar Animation Rig - Softimage Mod Tool\Pictures\Head_SkinFeaturesColorMap.tga

I checked and that exact path/file exists.

I tried opening the kick scene from the custom animations pack (though this one I did not make a new project for... I used the same project as the Rig) and when exporting I got the exact same warnings.
  • 7/26/2009 8:42 PM In reply to

One other thing:

I copied that pictures directory into my project and was getting the .tif importer error.  I then deleted all the .tifs and it ran, but crashed because I had been trying to load the content as an AvatarAnimation instead of as a model.
    I tried doing the same thing then in the CustomAvatarAnimationSample, but even when I copied the Pictures directory over it still is giving me an error that it cannot find Head_SkinFeaturesColorMap.tga.

Gah.
Page 7 of 9 (205 posts) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > Previous Discussion Next Discussion