Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 2 of 3 (55 posts) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

XNA Game Studio Express Challenge games released!

Last post 5/9/2007 11:43 AM by KratosZA. 54 replies.
  • 3/10/2007 3:00 PM In reply to

Re: XNA Game Studio Express Challenge games released!

Hello i have setup a mirror download of Dungeon Quest game

More mirrors is need it

http://www.3devolution.net/

• 3/10/2007 4:56 PM In reply to

This time I had no trouble downloading Dungeon Quest but like the other two games, I am having problems running it.

All I get is a Black screen with a sound track playing in the background. If I press F1 I can see the frame counter but that's it !!!

A log file seems to be generated by the game which in a few minutes grew to 36,000 lines, I have enclosed an extract :

/// Session started at: 2007-03-10 21:52
    /// DungeonQuest

[21:52:53] Failed to execute GameScreen
    Error: System.InvalidOperationException: Both a valid vertex shader and  pixel shader (or valid effect) must be set on the device before draw operations may be performed.
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.VerifyCanDraw(Boolean bUserPrimitives, Boolean bIndexedPrimitives)
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.DrawIndexedPrimitives(PrimitiveType primitiveType, Int32 baseVertex, Int32 minVertexIndex, Int32 numVertices, Int32 startIndex, Int32 primitiveCount)
       at DungeonQuest.Graphics.ColladaModel.RenderVertices()
       at DungeonQuest.Shaders.CavePointNormalMapping.RenderCave(Material setMat, RenderDelegate renderDelegate)
       at DungeonQuest.Graphics.ColladaModel.Render(Matrix renderMatrix)
       at DungeonQuest.GameLogic.GameManager.Run()
       at DungeonQuest.GameScreens.GameScreen.Run(DungeonQuestGame game)
       at DungeonQuest.DungeonQuestGame.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
    [21:52:53] Failed to execute GameScreen
    Error: System.InvalidOperationException: End must be called before Begin can be called again.

Hope this helps.

Andy

• 3/10/2007 5:12 PM In reply to

We are in the process of traveling back to Minnesota over the next 24 hours and when we get back we'll be posting a fixed install file.  Andre will also be posting a fixed install file once he returns to Brazil over the next couple days.

Jonathon Stevens

• 3/10/2007 6:06 PM In reply to

Added a mirror for DungeonQuest on my site as well.

Update: the game worked fine for me. :)

• 3/10/2007 9:07 PM In reply to

I have provided mirrors for the downloads found in this thread.  My 250GB server hasn't been touched since December, so the bandwidth is wide open.  I will also be adding a mirror on my ".edu" account which, the majority of the time, has uncapped speeds.

http://www.WinBreak.com/XNA/

Enjoy,
    NuAngel

• 3/10/2007 9:09 PM In reply to

Thanks for all those mirrors guys! I finally got Dungeon Quest working... It looks kinda pretty, but it runs horribly on my computer... and it's almost impossible to play, but for four days it's still not bad at all :)
  • 3/10/2007 10:35 PM In reply to

Yeah, Dungeon Quest looked very nice on my computer.  Benjamin never ceases to impress.  I just hope he is as good at book writing as he is at game programming.
  • 3/11/2007 9:47 AM In reply to

Unfortunatly DungeonQuest crashes immediatly.

Hardware Spec:

Athlon 64 3200+
    1 GB RAM
    Geforce 6600 PCI-X

I have all .NET framework, XNA runtime, and DX up to date.

• 3/11/2007 11:56 AM In reply to

The game look awesome! I can't imagine he accomplished that in 4 Days...

I hope I can earn a lot from his book!

• 3/11/2007 2:56 PM In reply to

I also can't run the game Dungeon Quest, I'm getting the same error as X86ASM.

My graphic card is a ATi Radeon 9800 Pro and I have installed the latest drivers.

cya,Stefan

• 3/12/2007 1:29 AM In reply to

There's a problem with the publish feature of  Visual C# 2005 Express Edition.  The release below is the actual game..

http://www.codeplex.com/XNAChallenge/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=2246

Patrick Glanville

• 3/12/2007 1:57 AM In reply to

Very cool!  Thanks!  Three out of the four games are now working.  Can't wait to try AbduX!

Tom

• 3/12/2007 8:50 AM In reply to

"Athlon 64 3200+ 1 GB RAM Geforce 6600 PCI-X I have all .NET framework, XNA runtime, and DX up to date."

Those are pretty much the exact same specs as mine(except I've got a 6600 GT), and it works on mine... So it's pretty strange that it wouldn't work on yours.

• 3/12/2007 11:31 AM In reply to

Hi everybody,

After flying for more than 24h, I'm still not back to Brazil yet due to some delays when leaving the US. Can you guys please tell me the problem you're having when running AbduX?

If the System.Speech assembly is not being found, please try copying it to same folder where the game executable file is (search for "system.speech.dll" first in Windows, mine is in C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\WinFx\v3.0).

I'll investigate other problems as soon as I arrive back, if I arrive actually :)

Regards,
    -- AFurtado

• 3/12/2007 12:17 PM In reply to

AFurtado:
    Can you guys please tell me the problem you're having when running AbduX?

If the System.Speech assembly is not being found, please try copying it to same folder where the game executable file is (search for "system.speech.dll" first in Windows, mine is in C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\WinFx\v3.0).

There is no "system.speech.dll" installed as part of the Speech SDK 5.1 package.  The only DLLs installed are "simpleaudio.dll", "SREng.dll", STCustomStream.dll", "TTSEng.dll", "kato.dll", "srcomp.dll", "ttscomp.dll", and Interop.SpeechLib.dll".

From doing a bit of searching on MSDN, it appears that system.speech.dll is installed as part of the .NET 3.0 Framework.  I haven't tried installing that yet to see if it fixes the problem.

• 3/12/2007 2:06 PM In reply to

KARIDIAN:

There's a problem with the publish feature of  Visual C# 2005 Express Edition.  The release below is the actual game..

http://www.codeplex.com/XNAChallenge/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=2246

Hmm, I try to run the setup for this and here's what I get:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 5.1.2600.131072 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.42
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Machaira/My%20Documents/XNA%20Stuff/SimianEscape/Game.application

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\Machaira\My Documents\XNA Stuff\SimianEscape\Game.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + Exception reading manifest from file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Machaira/My%20Documents/XNA%20Stuff/SimianEscape/Game.application: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
      + Manifest XML signature is not valid.
      + No signature was present in the subject.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
     No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
     There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
     * [3/12/2007 2:05:13 PM] : Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\Machaira\My Documents\XNA Stuff\SimianEscape\Game.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
     Following errors were detected during this operation.
     * [3/12/2007 2:05:15 PM] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (ManifestParse)
      - Exception reading manifest from file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Machaira/My%20Documents/XNA%20Stuff/SimianEscape/Game.application: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)
       at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
       at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
      --- Inner Exception ---
      System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (SignatureValidation)
      - Manifest XML signature is not valid.
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Application.Manifest.AssemblyManifest.ValidateSignature(Stream s)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)
      --- Inner Exception ---
      System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException
      - No signature was present in the subject.

- Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Internal.CodeSigning.SignedCmiManifest.Verify(CmiManifestVerifyFlags verifyFlags)
       at System.Deployment.Application.Manifest.AssemblyManifest.ValidateSignature(Stream s)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
     No transaction information is available.

• 3/12/2007 2:14 PM In reply to

Machaira:
    KARIDIAN:

Hmm, I try to run the setup for this and here's what I get:

Jim, you shouldn't have to run Setup.  Just extract the files and run Game.exe and it runs just fine.

I assume the installer in the Game.publish directory is the same one they linked to before that they couldn't get to work with the GSE Publish feature.

• 3/12/2007 2:28 PM In reply to

Hmm, maybe the setup should have been taken out then. ;) :D
  • 3/12/2007 6:43 PM In reply to

The Dungeon Quest game will be updated tomorrow, there are many bug fixes and it was tested on more systems. Most systems it currently does not work on have problems with the shaders (either not support them or crash because of a driver issue). Stay tuned.
  • 3/12/2007 6:53 PM In reply to

The "system.speech.dll" is part of the .NET Framework v3 SDK ...
  • 3/12/2007 6:54 PM In reply to

Kudo's to all the games developers, very fun and in only four days... can't wait to see what you guys can do with normal game time-limits on development!

• 3/12/2007 9:33 PM In reply to

Ultrahead:
    The "system.speech.dll" is part of the .NET Framework v3 SDK ...

Yep, to get AbduX running, ignore what the readme file says about installing the Speech SDK.  Instead, install the .NET 3.0 Framework.  You can get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=10CC340B-F857-4A14-83F5-25634C3BF043&displaylang=en

Tom

EDIT: Sorry for the misinformation.  You need both the Speech SDK and the .NET 3.0 Framework.

• 3/13/2007 10:11 PM In reply to

That's right! Here you have the requirements for playing AbduX:

- Install Microsoft Speech SDK (file SpeechSDK51.exe available at http://www.microsoft.com/speech/download/sdk51/);

- Install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Redistributable Package, available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=10CC340B-F857-4A14-83F5-25634C3BF043&displaylang=en;

I'm not sure but I believe that if you have Windows Vista, probably you can skip some if not all of the steps. Feeback on this is appreciated.

PS: I'm going to update the readme.txt file as well!
    Update: done. Now the game must be downloaded from http://www.cin.ufpe.br/~awbf/xna/AbduX-1.1.zip

Regards,
    -- AFurtado

• 3/14/2007 3:12 PM In reply to

You should simply run the Game.exe as this release has no installer.  Are you still having problems running the game?

• 3/16/2007 12:11 PM In reply to

For anyone who hasn't seen this yet, Benjamin Nitschke has released an update for Dungeon Quest.  Seems like he's fixed a bunch of bugs and improved performance.

http://exdream.no-ip.info/blog/2007/03/16/TheDungeonQuestGame.aspx

Tom

Page 2 of 3 (55 posts) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > Previous Discussion Next Discussion