Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (23 posts)

Windows 7 and XNA games (Experiences)

Last post 4/30/2017 7:26 PM by Fn greatest. 22 replies.
  • 1/9/2009 12:17 PM

Windows 7 and XNA games (Experiences)

Hi all, I'm looking in to installing Windows 7, however I'm doing alot of presentations on XNA at universities and colleges (professionally), which ofcourse also involves showing demo's. I'm wondering if anyone is having any experiences with Windows 7 (any build is fine) and XNA Games, and perhaps game studio. I'm pretty sure that Game Studio will work as expected with Windows 7, however I'm not sure about the performance of -for example- the games (and directx). I had alot of issues using Windows 2008, it just didn't perform for games so demos were slow and that's not what you want to show a few hundred people, while trying to let them know how cool and exciting XNA actually is. So please let me know what your experiences are and if you have any (founded) advice, please also reply. Thank you very much in advance. If in general the feedback is positive I'll be installing windows 7 this weekend and we'll see how things go.
  • 1/9/2009 1:06 PM In reply to

Re: Windows 7 and XNA games (Experiences)

Installing it doesn't strike me as the sensible thing to do even if someone reports back that it's fine. It's called a Beta for a reason, it could go pop at any time and you'd be left with egg on your face in front of a room full of people.
  • 1/9/2009 1:13 PM In reply to

Driver support will obviously not be at it's best yet, and that's likely where performance will be hurt the most. I'm not sure why you'd even consider changing your OS to do presentations, unless your presentations are on Windows 7.
  • 1/9/2009 2:12 PM In reply to

Have to agree here. I wouldn't even consider installing the beta on a machine I'm using for business purposes.
  • 1/9/2009 3:58 PM In reply to

Jim Perry:
    Have to agree here. I wouldn't even consider installing the beta on a machine I'm using for business purposes.

Which the EULA prohibits anyway.

• 1/9/2009 4:34 PM In reply to

You actually read the EULA?!? 8|
  • 1/9/2009 4:50 PM In reply to

Sure I do!!! However, as I do not have access to the Windows 7 one this particular part was highlighted by some third party who did ready the EULA already :]
  • 1/9/2009 5:00 PM In reply to

Actually, the driver model in Windows 7 is exactly the same as vista, so any vista drivers will work just fine in Win7.
    I'm using it and it is faster and more stable for me than vista SP1 was.  Its really quite a nice upgrade.
  • 1/12/2009 10:13 AM In reply to

DaveP:
    Actually, the driver model in Windows 7 is exactly the same as vista, so any vista drivers will work just fine in Win7.
    I'm using it and it is faster and more stable for me than vista SP1 was.  Its really quite a nice upgrade.

Which is why I'd want to put Windows 7 on my laptop. I'm working for a company that does Microsoft only and we profile ourselfs as most knowledgable in the Microsoft market (and have plenty of people in the TAP and are part of the early adaptors programme), so running Windows 7 is actually something good from a business perspective. Ofcourse if I need to announce 'guys Windows 7 isn't cooperating with me,' that just won't fly. But I already know that the previous builds have been more stable than Vista, I just had to figure out if the games actually run well on Windows 7 (seeing how much of a let-down windows 2008 is).

Thank you all for your replies, though I was really looking for experiences, rather than comments on why I would want to install something in beta.
  • 1/12/2009 11:41 AM In reply to

I don't think it's XNA you should be worried about, it's the graphics card drivers. The one for Nvidia that is on Windows Update crashes rather frequently, even when just opening and dragging windows.
  • 1/12/2009 12:32 PM In reply to

I setup a dual boot

Im quite pleased with Windows 7 its afairly strong OS and its stable.

No problems with XNA Either. Found all of my drivers including my 3rd party Wireless and MIDI controller
  • 1/17/2009 4:26 PM In reply to

Actually the drivers on Windows 7 for nVidia work rather well (the Vista x64 ones from their website), however I can't get XNA to install on my machine. It seems alot of you had no problems with this so perhaps I'm alone here, but that's my report so far. P.S. I installed it on my 'private' machine first, just to see how it performs with games as well, and that's where I'm having issues (please refrain from saying I told you so ;) (I know you want to))
  • 1/17/2009 5:21 PM In reply to

I recently went to a lecture about XNA at my university (Huddersfield - UK) which was demonstrated by a Microsoft employee.  He was using Windows 7, Visual Studio 2008 and XNA 3.0.

All worked really smoothly, we got to test out some games with 360 controllers and such.  He was running it off his laptop too!
  • 1/18/2009 11:14 PM In reply to

Has anyone successfully deployed a .ccgame file form 7? I seem to be having issues when I try to review or play test a game.
    [Window Title] XNA Game Studio Package Utility [Main Instruction] XNA Game Studio Package Utility has stopped working [Content] Windows is checking for a solution to the problem... [Cancel]
    Good thing I have a spare partition in case i needed to re-install XP for a dual-boot.
  • 1/19/2009 12:06 AM In reply to

so far it's been running great, better then vista. You don't have to worry about drivers because windows 7 can use all the same drivers as vista.
  • 1/19/2009 5:59 AM In reply to

I can't get XNA to install on seven. I keep getting the following error right after the installation process starts:

"The program Bootstrapper.exe version 3.0.11010.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel."
  • 1/19/2009 5:36 PM In reply to

I cant even get 7 to install.. it copies all the files, reboots the pc, gets to the point where it would normally say "getting ready to run windows for the first time" and then the video goes nuts.. x1950 pro.. so ah well.. was looking forward to playing with it, but alas..
  • 1/23/2009 12:25 AM In reply to

Nonstick Monkey:
    Has anyone successfully deployed a .ccgame file form 7? I seem to be having issues when I try to review or play test a game.
    [Window Title] XNA Game Studio Package Utility [Main Instruction] XNA Game Studio Package Utility has stopped working [Content] Windows is checking for a solution to the problem... [Cancel]
    Good thing I have a spare partition in case i needed to re-install XP for a dual-boot.

I am experiencing the exact same thing. Unluckily for me I didn't set up a spare partition to fall back on. I can successfully deploy games straight from Game Studio 3.0 but when I attempt to use .ccgame files I get the error you mentioned.
  • 1/23/2009 2:21 AM In reply to

BigBrownMan8:
    Nonstick Monkey:

I am experiencing the exact same thing. Unluckily for me I didn't set up a spare partition to fall back on. I can successfully deploy games straight from Game Studio 3.0 but when I attempt to use .ccgame files I get the error you mentioned.

There is a workaround for this (thanks to Aaron Stebner's post in the sister thread)

1) All programs->Xna Game Studio 3.0->Xna Game Studio Command Prompt->Tools->XNA Studio Command Prompt
    2) in the dos window type xnapack unpack c:\path\filename.ccgame (with the proper path and filename)

That should let you deploy to your 360 without an issue. (at least it did for me)
  • 1/23/2009 8:47 PM In reply to

Thanks a lot monkey. The workaround worked great. I wasn't looking forward to putting Vista back on my computer.
  • 1/23/2009 9:51 PM In reply to

BigBrownMan8:
    The workaround worked great. I wasn't looking forward to putting Vista back on my computer.

Is 7 really that different? I tried it on a spare HDD for a few hours, couldn't see any significant difference (looked like Vista, smelt like Vista, tasted like... bar the attempt to copy the Mac's dock :) ). Is there some benefit I might see later down the line, once running VS2008 etc?
  • 1/24/2009 1:58 AM In reply to

For the most part it isn't a whole lot different then Vista. I would have been fine with Vista on my machine other than I had a problem with my DVD drives and getting vista to recognize them. It was doing something weird where it would recognize what was in there on startup but if I put a new CD in it wouldn't notice I had a new CD in. I installed Windows 7 and it fixed the problem. Other than my own personal problems I had with vista, windows 7 does have faster loading times and it got rid of alot of the clutter. Things like the sidebar, movie maker, windows messenger are all gone. They also cut out a lot of the popup messages. No more clicking yes 10 times to open a program. And of course the new taskbar took a bit to get used to but I've grown to like it. While Windows 7 might be very similar to Vista, they just cleaned it up a bit and made it faster. While it might not be amazing and new, it is still an upgrade I see worth getting.
  • 4/30/2017 7:26 PM In reply to

Hey are you brownman from tha 504 clan on clash of clans? If so I accidentally gave you leadership if you could pass it back I'd appreciate it!
Page 1 of 1 (23 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion