Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (16 posts)

Help for Blender/XNA fbx importing. PLEASE HELP IM SO SAD !

Last post 11/20/2009 12:51 AM by FireIceSteam. 15 replies.
  • 10/17/2008 7:16 AM

Help for Blender/XNA fbx importing. PLEASE HELP IM SO SAD !

So i was trying to import an fbx file but it failed with this problem

Error    1    Error normalizing vertex bone weights. BoneWeightCollection does not contain any weighting values.   

So then i decided to try get a FBX importer recommended by stromcode but when i try to put it in my blender scripts folder, I cant even find the scripts folder

PLEASE HELP ME! im so sad this has failed

• 10/17/2008 8:20 AM In reply to

Re: Help for Blender/XNA fbx importing. PLEASE HELP IM SO SAD !

Harminal:
    So i was trying to import an fbx file but it failed with this problem

Error    1    Error normalizing vertex bone weights. BoneWeightCollection does not contain any weighting values.   

So then i decided to try get a FBX importer recommended by stromcode but when i try to put it in my blender scripts folder, I cant even find the scripts folder

PLEASE HELP ME! im so sad this has failed

When installing blender, it gives you the option to chose where to install "Blender's user data file". There are 3 choices:

1. The application Data directory (which is the default)
    2. The installation directory
    3. Wherever your %HOME% variable happens to be defined.

If you didn't change those settings (i.e. you chose option 1), the scripts folder will be located under C:\Documents and Settings\[User name]\Application Data\Blender\.blender\scripts (or something like that). Option 2 will put the scripts folder wherever you installed Blender.

However, the error you're getting will not be fixed by the importer recommended by stromcode. It happens if you have added an armature to your model and not every Vertex has been weight painted, i.e. not every vertex is weighted to a bone. (btw in part 3 of the stromcode tutorial this is actually noted).

• 10/17/2008 9:20 PM In reply to

ok problems with both of these

1. I cant find the application data folder.But when i go to programfiles\blenderfoundation\blender i cant find the folder there. DO i need python of something?

2. Im pretty sure i have gone really simple and just done 1 box and 1 bone. I then made an animtion and wieghted it.Every single corner!Then i still get the error

Help plox! Ty

• 10/20/2008 4:54 AM In reply to

Is your vertex group the same name as your bone?
  • 10/20/2008 5:24 AM In reply to

As per the fbx exporter from the fitba site (via stromcode): I had trouble finding that directory too. On my computer (vista64) it is located at C:\ProgramData\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts where ProgramData is a hidden folder (Explorer->Tools->Folder Options->Hidden Files and Folders->Show hidden files and folders).
  • 10/23/2008 4:53 AM In reply to

how do i do this?

Btw i found my blender scripts folder

• 10/26/2008 12:21 AM In reply to

I found a very usefull script here (second script posted) it checks for vertices that are not part of any group, since blender assigns vertices to bones by creating a vertex group for each bone, this will tell you wich vertices are to blame for that error.
  • 10/26/2008 12:40 AM In reply to

Thats a handy script thanks for the link.
  • 1/5/2009 3:15 AM In reply to

I'm getting this strange error when exporting FBX in blender, with certains models... (i dont get this error with every skinned model i attempt to load).

Error   1   Building content threw IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array. 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.MeshConverter.FillNodeWithInfoFromMesh(KFbxNode* fbxNode, String name, KFbxGeometryConverter* geometryConverter) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.FbxImporter.ProcessInformationInNode(KFbxNode* fbxNode, String name, Boolean* partOfMainSkeleton, Boolean* warnIfBoneButNotChild) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.FbxImporter.ProcessNode(ValueType parentAbsoluteTransform, NodeContent potentialParent, KFbxNode* fbxNode, Boolean partOfMainSkeleton, Boolean warnIfBoneButNotChild) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.FbxImporter.ProcessNode(ValueType parentAbsoluteTransform, NodeContent potentialParent, KFbxNode* fbxNode, Boolean partOfMainSkeleton, Boolean warnIfBoneButNotChild) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.FbxImporter.Import(String filename, ContentImporterContext context) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.ContentImporter`1.Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.IContentImporter.Import(String filename, ContentImporterContext context) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.ImportAssetDirectly(BuildItem item, String importerName) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.ImportAsset(BuildItem item) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.BuildAssetWorker(BuildItem item) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.BuildAsset(BuildItem item) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.BuildAndLoadAsset(BuildItem item, BuildItem requestingItem) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.ImportAssetViaCache(BuildItem item, String importerName) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.ImportAsset(BuildItem item) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.BuildAssetWorker(BuildItem item) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.BuildAsset(BuildItem item) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.RunTheBuild() 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.Tasks.BuildContent.RemoteProxy.RunTheBuild(BuildCoordinatorSettings settings, TimestampCache timestampCache, ITaskItem[] sourceAssets, String[]& outputContent, String[]& rebuiltContent, String[]& intermediates, Dictionary`2& dependencyTimestamps, KeyValuePair`2[]& warnings)   C:\Tesis-Project\MoxDevelopment\MoxGame\Content\uneStudent.fbx  MoxGame 

I'm still looking for the solution... If found, ill post it here if anyone have the same problem..

***EDIT

I know this is about XNA trying to indexing a vertex that do not exist.. but.. my model seems to look good at first glance..  thats why im seeing this as "strange".

• 2/22/2009 7:00 PM In reply to

Any luck with this? I'm having the same problem with several of my models. From what you are suggesting, it seems that this problem happens if you edit your model(delete vertices, specifically) after creating vertex groups and assigning them. This is true of all three of the models I'm having problems with. Worst case scenario, you have to bite the bullet and create a new skeleton and assign new vertex groups from scratch. What I'm going to try: Select each vertex group one by one, delete it, then create a new vertex group using the same name, and assign the selected vertices to it. This is a lot of work, but I think it will work. I'll post my results here when I figure this out.
    RodNovus:
    I'm getting this strange error when exporting FBX in blender, with certains models... (i dont get this error with every skinned model i attempt to load).

Error   1   Building content threw IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array. 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.MeshConverter.FillNodeWithInfoFromMesh(KFbxNode* fbxNode, String name, KFbxGeometryConverter* geometryConverter) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.FbxImporter.ProcessInformationInNode(KFbxNode* fbxNode, String name, Boolean* partOfMainSkeleton, Boolean* warnIfBoneButNotChild) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.FbxImporter.Import(String filename, ContentImporterContext context) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.ContentImporter`1.Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.IContentImporter.Import(String filename, ContentImporterContext context) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.ImportAssetDirectly(BuildItem item, String importerName) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.BuildAndLoadAsset(BuildItem item, BuildItem requestingItem) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.ImportAssetViaCache(BuildItem item, String importerName) 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.RunTheBuild() 
       at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.Tasks.BuildContent.RemoteProxy.RunTheBuild(BuildCoordinatorSettings settings, TimestampCache timestampCache, ITaskItem[] sourceAssets, String[]& outputContent, String[]& rebuiltContent, String[]& intermediates, Dictionary`2& dependencyTimestamps, KeyValuePair`2[]& warnings)   C:\Tesis-Project\MoxDevelopment\MoxGame\Content\uneStudent.fbx  MoxGame 

I'm still looking for the solution... If found, ill post it here if anyone have the same problem..

***EDIT

I know this is about XNA trying to indexing a vertex that do not exist.. but.. my model seems to look good at first glance..  thats why im seeing this as "strange".

• 3/25/2009 10:43 PM In reply to

I know there is a problem if you export an animation and any of your model's vertex doesn't have weights painted
    Every vertex of a model must have any weight. If any vertex has no weight with no bone, an error occurs
  • 5/26/2009 2:06 AM In reply to

MAN9A:
    I know there is a problem if you export an animation and any of your model's vertex doesn't have weights painted
    Every vertex of a model must have any weight. If any vertex has no weight with no bone, an error occurs

This is not the problem, I have checked this many times.
  • 5/26/2009 2:08 AM In reply to

I think I've found the problem, though I'm not sure. The error I'm getting in XNA is "index was out of the bounds of the array" which generally means there are vertices without texture coordinates. Not true, I have triple checked this, among other things.

Here is my workflow:
    1. Create mesh - with texture mapped to uv coordinates
    2. Create Armature
    3. Parent mesh to armature, name groups
    4. Manually assign groups to all vertices
    5. Animate several actions in the action editor.
    6. Select both the mesh and armature, in object mode, before exporting.
    7. Export using the fbx export script modified for xna(by fritz@triplebgames) 
    In the export dialogue I select "Copy image files" and "All Actions"

The following guidelines are not always necessary, but I follow them to avoid problems:
    * Armature can not have more than 59 bones
    * Names of all objects, meshes, bones, etc do not contain "." (I read somewhere that autodesk software can screw up if there are periods in any of the names.)
    * all bones must be children of one root bone, or children of it's children, etc.
    * all vertices must be assigned to a bone

This normally works great. But like I said, the models that have been heavily edited or changed seem to be the ones that give me problems. Looking at the one that is my current source of misery, I recently found a lot of stuff that shouldn't be there in the "data select" window(get there with the key command SHIFT-F4). I have removed any references to old meshes, unused actions, etc. by right clicking on them in this window, changing their number of users to 0 with the "F" key, and then saving and re-opening the .blend file. Here's the problem. When I export, I somehow get a reference to two things that weren't there before I tried to export: an object(queen.001) and a mesh(mesh). Can anyone tell me why these things keep re-appearing? I have a feeling that this is the reason my exports are not working.
  • 6/7/2009 3:42 AM In reply to

By adding a subsurf modifier to the mesh, the exports now work. This goes against everything I've been told, but I guess I now have an excuse to make higher poly models...
  • 7/18/2009 7:44 AM In reply to

I know this is from a little while ago, but I was having this same problem just now (the index out of range problem), and came across this thread during my search for answers.  While this didn't help, an an older thread did, specifically this post:

Fritz:
    I don't know if you've managed to find a solution to this, but I had the exact same problem with a couple of models I had - after a bit of rooting around I found that for me the problem was some stray edges - fortunately Blender has a nice clean up function already built in -> in edit mode go to Mesh->Scripts->CleanMeshes and select Edges: Free. It seems the fbx importer gets confused  by 2 vert faces.

It's well worth giving all your meshes a good clean up with the CleanMeshes script, normalising your vertex weights and deleting stray verts etc before exporting your models.

So, if anyone else stumbles across this thread trying to figure out how to fix this, try this, it worked for me.
  • 11/20/2009 12:51 AM In reply to

I stumbled on it, and it worked.  Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 (16 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion
var gDomain='m.webtrends.com'; var gDcsId='dcschd84w10000w4lw9hcqmsz_8n3x'; var gTrackEvents=1; var gFpc='WT_FPC'; /*<\/scr"+"ipt>");} /*]]>*/
DCSIMG