Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (10 posts)

loads of free 3D and 2D stock art?

Last post 8/1/2017 3:03 AM by yobi3d. 9 replies.
  • 8/5/2008 1:31 PM

loads of free 3D and 2D stock art?

Sorry if there are ten thousand similar threads but,

There are a lot of us "lone" developers out there who would like loads of free 2D and 3D stock art to use with our projects. Is that what the "asset catalog" is planned to be?
  • 8/5/2008 2:42 PM In reply to

Re: loads of free 3D and 2D stock art?

TurboSquid.com is pretty good for 3D models. I don't know of a 2D equivalent, though.
  • 8/5/2008 2:44 PM In reply to

Yep, according to what I've heard.  I've also heard that it's for premium members only.  (But, as you know, hearing is not related to truth.)  I'd be nice if they had both premium and regular content, so premium members get more for their money and regular members won't get left out.

[Mod Edit: Deleted link. No posting to copyrighted material like that.]

• 8/5/2008 2:45 PM In reply to

TurboSquid.com is the same for everyone. There are some free models and some not-so-free models. But there is no discount for Creator's Club subscribers.
  • 8/5/2008 2:48 PM In reply to

I was referring to the asset catalog.  Sorry for the confusion, you posted while I was writing that. :)  I just edited in the other message.
  • 8/5/2008 3:17 PM In reply to

I agree that would be nice. I might be willing to get a premium membership, but then I might feel MORE willing to get one if I could sample some of the content for free. I checked out the turbo squid site, and...I don't know about you guys but I'm not all that keen on putting loads of naked 3d women in my game.
  • 8/5/2008 3:24 PM In reply to

Zom:
    I checked out the turbo squid site, and...I don't know about you guys but I'm not all that keen on putting loads of naked 3d women in my game.
    I don't know exactly what models you were looking at, but I've found dozens and dozens of cars, characters, scenery, and other objects that aren't naked women.

You'll also want to make sure, as you're searching through there, that you filter to only show .X and .FBX models so that you can just drop them right into XNA GS and load them.
  • 8/5/2008 3:30 PM In reply to

TurboSquid also has some nice cheap models. If you can't model yourself then $20 for a table and chairs is actually pretty cheap compared to paying an artist to do them.

Of course one of the problems with TS is that its not targetted to game developers but other users of modelling packages so half the stuff on there won't cleanly load into XNA GS or other engines. Sometimes you need to get an artist buddy to clean them up for you and that takes them as long as making a new one.

• 8/5/2008 6:15 PM In reply to

As far as I know, Google SketchUp 3D warehouse models are free. Due to the software limitations, the models are usually simpler than the ones you can find at TurboSquid but, depending on your needs, they could be a good choice.
  • 8/1/2017 3:03 AM In reply to

Hi, I would like to recommend a free 3D model search engine called Yobi3D. You can search with simple keywords and see the results in 3D. 

https://www.yobi3d.com
Page 1 of 1 (10 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion