Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (14 posts)

XBox360 Wireless Controller With PC...How To Turn Off???

Last post 9/25/2013 12:15 AM by GigaSOFT Group. 13 replies.
  • 7/26/2008 4:59 AM

XBox360 Wireless Controller With PC...How To Turn Off???

How in the world do I turn the wireless controller off?  It's just staying on even if I press the "Xbox Guide" button.  It works fine, I just don't want to have to keep taking the batteries out to turn it off.  I don't have an XBox...I"m just using it with my PC here, which is always on (so the wireless receiver is always on too).

PS: The guide talks about turning off the console and controller together, but I don't have a console...just the PC.

• 7/26/2008 5:26 AM In reply to

Re: XBox360 Wireless Controller With PC...How To Turn Off???

I don't think there is a way. I just pop the battery pack off and back on quick to kill the power to the controller, myself.
  • 7/26/2008 3:28 PM In reply to

Wow, I should've gotten Best Buy's warranty plan in case it breaks!  Popping the battery pack in and out constantly is sure to be a nuisance!  I hope Microsoft designs it a little bit better next time.
  • 7/26/2008 7:03 PM In reply to

Ok, I just returned the "XBox 360 Wireless Controller" and the "XBox 360 Wireless Receiver For Windows".  I bought the cheaper, regular "XBox 360 Controller" that was wired...and not the one that specifically said it was for Windows.  The controller has USB, so with Vista, I just plugged it in and it found the drivers automatically with nothing to download or install.  And it works!  I hope this helps someone else out and saves a lot of frustration.

PS: And the manual specifically says, "The XBox Guide button has no function when using the XBox 360 Controller with a Windows-based PC."  So, the device just stays on while it's plugged in...the same as any hard drive, USB thumbdrive, or most anything else.  And no batteries since it's USB-powered.

• 7/26/2008 7:17 PM In reply to

AndyDesRosiers:
    Ok, I just returned the "XBox 360 Wireless Controller" and the "XBox 360 Wireless Receiver For Windows".  I bought the cheaper, regular "XBox 360 Controller" that was wired...and not the one that specifically said it was for Windows.  The controller has USB, so with Vista, I just plugged it in and it found the drivers automatically with nothing to download or install.  And it works!  I hope this helps someone else out and saves a lot of frustration.
    Yeah if you're only using it for PC, it's a lot nicer to have a wired one I'm sure. I already had two wireless ones from my Xbox 360 so there was no point buying a wired one for the PC when it was cheaper to just buy the receiver.

PS: And the manual specifically says, "The XBox Guide button has no function when using the XBox 360 Controller with a Windows-based PC."
    That is a little inaccurate. If you are playing a game that supports Windows LIVE, pressing the Guide button while running will bring up a Guide for selecting a LIVE account and things. Works inside of XNA games that leverage the GamerServiceComponent as well. But still no "Turn off Controller" function that I've found so far.

• 7/27/2008 12:43 PM In reply to

The wireless controller will turn itself off after a period of no activity, so I just let it do its thing. The only really annoying bug is that if the controller is on while the receiver becomes unavailable (because you turned off the computer or unplugged the receiver), the controller will keep on searching for the receiver until it runs out of power. The only way to make it stop doing that is removing the battery(pack).

I think it's also completely retarded that the receiver supports only one controller. I had to go out and buy a wired controller to test multiplayer on the pc, even though I have several wireless ones. Oh, and the wireless receiver driver doesn't map the controller to XInput. Because why would a microsoft controller device support standardized microsoft interfaces -_- (The wired controllers DOES map to XInput)

• 7/27/2008 1:28 PM In reply to

Korenn:

The wireless controller will turn itself off after a period of no activity, so I just let it do its thing. The only really annoying bug is that if the controller is on while the receiver becomes unavailable (because you turned off the computer or unplugged the receiver), the controller will keep on searching for the receiver until it runs out of power. The only way to make it stop doing that is removing the battery(pack).

I think it's also completely retarded that the receiver supports only one controller. I had to go out and buy a wired controller to test multiplayer on the pc, even though I have several wireless ones. Oh, and the wireless receiver driver doesn't map the controller to XInput. Because why would a microsoft controller device support standardized microsoft interfaces -_- (The wired controllers DOES map to XInput)

Oh? What does that mean in practice? I was thinking of getting a wireless one so I can play games on my TV.
  • 7/27/2008 6:06 PM In reply to

Korenn:
    The wireless controller will turn itself off after a period of no activity, so I just let it do its thing.
    Hm. Mine never shut down.

The only really annoying bug is that if the controller is on while the receiver becomes unavailable (because you turned off the computer or unplugged the receiver), the controller will keep on searching for the receiver until it runs out of power. The only way to make it stop doing that is removing the battery(pack)
    Yeah, that does get annoying.

I think it's also completely retarded that the receiver supports only one controller.
    That's not true at all. I've used three wireless controllers on my receiver before.

• 7/27/2008 6:29 PM In reply to

The wireless controller supports all 4 controllers if you have them.... if you have used them on your xbox previously you have to do that thing where you press the buttons to make then sync up to the new host though... quite a pain if you keep PC and xbox in the same room. I gave up and use wireless on the 360 and wired on the PC now..
  • 7/27/2008 9:30 PM In reply to

Maybe this works different for the pc, but if you want to turn off a wireless controller for the 360 you HOLD the guide button until the guide pops up and select "Turn Off Controller."
  • 7/27/2008 9:37 PM In reply to

Marcjonster:
    Maybe this works different for the pc, but if you want to turn off a wireless controller for the 360 you HOLD the guide button until the guide pops up and select "Turn Off Controller."
    You know, I was going to respond with "this doesn't work on Windows", but it seems that's not entirely true. There are two scenarios to consider in Windows:

• Not in-game: the guide button (like the rest of the controller) does absolutely nothing
    • In-game (If you have to have the GamerServicesComponent added to your game to even get the guide)
      • Pressing the guide button brings up the standard guide
      • Pressing and holding the guide button brings up a guide to shut off the controller (which I didn't know existed for Windows).

So it seems that the functionality is there, but you have to be inside a game. Which is rather annoying because then you have to shut down the controller and then use the keyboard or mouse to close the game. Personally, I think it's easier to just pop the battery off and back on.

• 7/28/2008 2:09 PM In reply to

Ok, now that I have a wired controller with my PC and it's working perfectly connected to my USB I have another question!  I leave my PC on all day long, and of course the controller is USB-powered.  Is it ok to just leave it there all day, or will it overheat?  I assume it won't since my harddrive, wireless internet receiver, and wireless mouse receiver are always plugged in and on too.  I just wanted to make sure! :)  Thanks so much.
  • 7/28/2008 2:22 PM In reply to

No, it won't overheat.
  • 9/25/2013 12:15 AM In reply to

Page 1 of 1 (14 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion