Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (16 posts)

Turn-Based Strategy Game Starter Kit?

Last post 5/16/2010 8:22 PM by Fuzzlewhumper. 15 replies.
  • 6/1/2008 3:49 PM

Turn-Based Strategy Game Starter Kit?

Hello:

I'm just starting out game programming, and most of this is new to me. I have what I believe to be a very good idea for a game, but since I am still learning I find it extremely difficult to not get discouraged or frustrated while trying to create my idea. So my question is; Is there any possibility of getting a strategy game starter kit based on hex-map tile engine? I've been learning about tile engines, but every resource I have found that tries to explain the creation of hex map tile engine seems a little confusing due to the lack of detailed explanations. I understand the basics of the implementation, but I have a disconnect from code to brain when it comes to implementation. If I could just SEE what they are talking about by having a working example, I KNOW I could more easily understand it.

I have a lot of the background calculations done in terms of calculating to-hit, hit locations, and a great many other things, but I am being stopped by the graphics. I don't want to see this game idea go to waste, so I was hoping that I could get some help, or that a starter kit for a hex-based tile map could be created.

• 6/2/2008 11:45 PM In reply to

Re: Turn-Based Strategy Game Starter Kit?

WraithKind:
    I have what I believe to be a very good idea for a game, but since I am still learning I find it extremely difficult to not get discouraged or frustrated while trying to create my idea.

Perhaps that's a sign that you should try something simpler to get started?

WraithKind:
    So my question is; Is there any possibility of getting a strategy game starter kit based on hex-map tile engine?

There's always a possibility, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You could check out Nick's tile tutorials to start and try to adapt it to hex. Does it have to be hex based though?

• 6/3/2008 9:06 PM In reply to

Jim Perry:
    There's always a possibility, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You could check out Nick's tile tutorials to start and try to adapt it to hex.

Why the lack of love? Strategy gamers are people too, you know, lol. I have also started to go through Nick's tutorials recently. I am not sure, but I think I can adapt it, from what I've seen already.

Jim Perry:
    Does it have to be hex based though?

Unfortunately, yes. I understand how a square-based tile map would be easier, but the game I am going to be doing is from a traditional pen & paper strategy game that uses hex-based maps (a not-for-profit venture, as this is my first 'real' game). What can I say, I'm a big fan of mech warfare. :) I do intend on starting with something smaller, though...I just don't know what.

• 6/3/2008 9:12 PM In reply to

WraithKind:
    Jim Perry:
    There's always a possibility, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You could check out Nick's tile tutorials to start and try to adapt it to hex.

Why the lack of love? Strategy gamers are people too, you know, lol. I have also started to go through Nick's tutorials recently. I am not sure, but I think I can adapt it, from what I've seen already.

Not really a lack of love. It's just logistics and resources. The XNA team can't possibly provide a starter kit for every type of game out there. Some of the challenge and fun in game development is learning to take one thing and bend it into something else.

As for my videos, hopefully you can get that going in hex layout. I've seen an isometric conversion already so hopefully the hex conversion isn't too hard.

• 6/9/2008 3:25 PM In reply to

Nick Gravelyn:

As for my videos, hopefully you can get that going in hex layout. I've seen an isometric conversion already so hopefully the hex conversion isn't too hard.

Well, as I said, I'm still learning. I'm not sure why, but I'm having a difficult time making the leap from programming web apps and database development to the more graphical oriented game programming. Does anyone know of any information on actually creating a hex-based tile map? Some of what I've run into is a bit difficult to understand for someone just starting out with both XNA & game programming.

• 6/9/2008 4:17 PM In reply to

Here's two pages from GameDev.net:

Clicky 1

Clicky 2

• 6/11/2008 4:05 AM In reply to

I luvvvvv hex based stratedgy games, I've tried making my own with other game platforms like RPGXP and GameMaker 7.0 but couldn't get the hex thingy correct. But basically its calculating the center of the hex and the 6 variable positions the sprite is facing on given hex. I am too busy on the RPG toolkit to start another project. Good luck!
  • 6/14/2008 2:59 PM In reply to

I second this. Really the starter kit that should be available is simply chess or checkers. It would showcase a few simple important concepts in turn based strategy:

- Grid based positioning of game objects (squares, hexes really aren't that different)

- Isometric tile rendering (rather then a flat 2d board)

- Game state management from a "turn" perspective. Putting control into the hands of Player 1 then Player 2 etc.

- Simple sprite animation without the overhead of physics etc.

The new RPG starter kit covers a bunch of this stuff (tiled isometric maps, a little bit of managing turns in the combat engine).

Go search for XNA chess and you don't find anything

• 11/16/2008 8:46 AM In reply to

Jim Perry:
    Here's two pages from GameDev.net:

Clicky 1

Clicky 2

Thanks Jim, those two links were very helpful.
  • 5/1/2010 5:34 AM In reply to

:: bump:: would love to see such a kit.
  • 5/1/2010 11:35 AM In reply to

Hi All,
    I've just started working on a hex based turn based strategy engine. When I have something a bit more solid I'd be happy to share some code.

I need to do some more work on the shader to make the distinction between tiles of different heights.
  • 5/6/2010 5:16 PM In reply to

This looks really cool. I'd be interested in sample code.  Thanks!

Dave Gerding
  • 5/6/2010 8:16 PM In reply to

I'll post some code up in the next week. I'm away this weekend so it might be toward the back of the week.
  • 5/7/2010 1:06 AM In reply to

Vincent,

That looks very nice. Would also love to see some sample code. I'm currently setting down to work on drawing and movement in a 2D Hex Map right now.

-MM
  • 5/13/2010 1:51 PM In reply to

If you get stuck there is some stuff about turn based games and isometric on my site:

http://blog.neilreed.co.uk/2009_07_01_archive.html

• 5/16/2010 8:22 PM In reply to

Sample looks nice (the hex based grid), and visited the site listed above - thanks. :)
Page 1 of 1 (16 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion