Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (5 posts)

Does Direct X run in an in-proc COM server or a local COM server?

Last post 9/28/2017 7:03 AM by Picaro1981. 4 replies.
  • 9/26/2017 2:15 PM

Does Direct X run in an in-proc COM server or a local COM server?

I notice that when running a D3D12 project that no other exe's pop up in the task explorer. This makes me believe that direct3d runs as an in proc com server. Does anybody know if that is the case and how one can find out? I am just very curious about it. I am guessing that it is in-proc otherwise wouldn't it be a bit on the slow side passing lots of data? Thanks!
  • 9/26/2017 10:15 PM In reply to

Re: Does Direct X run in an in-proc COM server or a local COM server?

All DirectX COM APIs are "in-proc COM servers". DirectX uses an approach known informally as "COM lite" which means it it's really just using QueryInterface for versioning. They don't support things like aggregation, single-threaded apartment, or out-of-proc usage. Most DirectX COM interfaces can't be created with CoCreateInstance and must use the provided factory functions instead.
  • 9/27/2017 7:27 AM In reply to

Thanks very much Charybdis. Can I ask, how can a developer find this out? as far as I can see the API is called and what happens underneath is hidden... I have never heard of COM lite but would like to know more. Thanks
  • 9/28/2017 5:54 AM In reply to

Answer
    Reply Quote
    It looks like the last time there was an in-depth coverage of this was in the deprecated DirectX SDK documentation for Direct3D 9 "Programming DirectX with COM" topic.
  • 9/28/2017 7:03 AM In reply to

Thanks again!
Page 1 of 1 (5 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion