Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (4 posts)

DirectX texture tool not working for windows 10

Last post 8/16/2017 4:13 AM by Charybdis. 3 replies.
  • 8/10/2017 6:26 PM

DirectX texture tool not working for windows 10

I have a problem when trying to run directX texture tool for windows 10. Every time i try to launch it, an error box appears which reads: "unable to create direct3d device. please make sure your desktop color depth is 16 or 32 bit, and that d3dref.dll is installed." I have made sure that my desktop color depth is 32 bit, and i have tried to install d3dref.dll. I have also tried to follow most guides online, but they are either outdated or just dont work. Can someone help me make DirectX texture tool work?
  • 8/12/2017 7:09 AM In reply to

Re: DirectX texture tool not working for windows 10

The legacy DirectX SDK cannot install the proper DirectX Debug Runtime (including d3dref.dll) on Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8.0, or Windows 7 SP1 + DirectX 11.1. For Windows 10, you must enable the Windows optional feature "Graphics Tools".

The legacy DXTex.exe tool will run on Windows 10, assuming you have a working Direct3D driver on your system. Have you tried running dxdiag? What device are you using?

Note: The DXTex.exe tool is pretty outdated, although it is still useful for certain things. It doesn't support an DX10 extension header DDS file, or many newer DXGI formats. VS 2012 or later can open and view many DDS files, so you might consider that as an option. See this post.
  • 8/13/2017 6:55 PM In reply to

I have enabled the Windows optional feature "Graphics Tools", but it did not help, even after rebooting my pc. I also have tried running dxdiag, but the output says that there were not found any problems. The device i'm using is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745.
  • 8/16/2017 4:13 AM In reply to

That message box is displayed if create device fails for any reason, so the notes about d3d9ref.dll and desktop color might or might not be the actual issue.

// Initialize DirectDraw  
        m_pd3d = Direct3DCreate9(D3D_SDK_VERSION);  
        if (m_pd3d == NULL)  
        {  
            AfxMessageBox(ID_ERROR_D3DCREATEFAILED, MB_OK, 0);  
            return FALSE;  
        }  

HRESULT hr;  
        D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS presentParams;  
        D3DDEVTYPE devType;  

ZeroMemory(&presentParams, sizeof(presentParams));  
        presentParams.Windowed = TRUE;  
        presentParams.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_COPY;  
        presentParams.BackBufferWidth = 8;  
        presentParams.BackBufferHeight = 8;  
        presentParams.BackBufferFormat = D3DFMT_UNKNOWN;  

devType = D3DDEVTYPE_REF;   

hr = m_pd3d->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, devType, m_pMainWnd->GetSafeHwnd(),   
            D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING, &presentParams, &m_pd3ddev);  
        if (FAILED(hr))  
        {  
            AfxMessageBox(ID_ERROR_CANTCREATEDEVICE);  
            return FALSE;  
        } 

Unfortunately, it doesn't actually tell you what the HRESULT value that actually came back was, so it's going to be blind guessing unless you can try out another Direct3D 9 application on that system.

I have Windows 10 Creators Update (15063) and it runs for me, so it is compatible with Windows 10. It is using D3DDEVTYPE_REF which is the reference device, so if you don't have the "Graphics Tools" optional feature enabled it will fail.

NOTE: D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING and D3DCREATE_MIXED_VERTEXPROCESSING is not recommended for Direct3D 9 apps running on Windows 10 generally as the Processor Specific Optimizations software pipeline was removed in the 14393 and later releases.
Page 1 of 1 (4 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion