Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (20 posts)

XBLIG Shutdown FAQ

Last post 7/28/2017 8:52 PM by The Unallied. 19 replies.
  • 9/10/2015 2:17 PM

XBLIG Shutdown FAQ

Please post any questions below and we'll get them answered.

1. Will consumers be able to still play the games after the service shuts down in 2017
    Yes purchased games will continue to be downloadable and playable.

2. Does final payout require all tax forms and banking information to be set up?
    Payout will be through the normal XBLIG payment methods. So your tax information and electronic banking details will need to be in place and correct by the payout date. If you would like an accounting of the final amount in advance you can email creators@microsoft.com and they will let you know. You can then decided if the hassle it worth it for $3.50

3. Will the matchmaking servers/leaderboards for online multiplayer games continue to work beyond 2017 for consumers?
    Yes that is the intention*** in general all games will be 100% playable for consumers after the final days of XBLIG

4. Will XBLIG games be playable on Xbox One through the backwards compatibility 
    Unknown - see discussion here. This would only be fore existing games purchased even if it does work. Back compat would not give a continued publishing process nor would it replace the indie games store.

5. Will developers be able to change the price of their game between the '16 and '17 shutdown?
    Unknown at this time***. Will revisit before the '16 shutdown.

6. Will developers be able to use XNA Connect after the '16 and/or '17 shutdown to deploy locally to their Xbox 360?
    Unknown at this time***. However, XNA Connect does need a Creators Club membership and there will be no way to extend those after 2017 unless Microsoft change something. 

7. September 9th, 2016 is the deadline for what, exactly?  Passing peer review?  Submitting to peer review?  Or will all functions behind the "Premium membership" paywall (submission, peer review) simply cease to function after this date?
    Assume everything in the submission process dies on that day. So if you want to release a game everything needs to be done by that date. Any extensions, delays, lateness etc on Microsoft's part will be a bonus and nobody should assume it will happen. 

***  Final technical details for the '16 and '17 shut downs are not 100% known so there could be some changes

• 9/11/2015 5:01 AM In reply to
    • (2)
    • MVP XNA Team Windows Phone Team Moderator
    • Posts 90

Re: XBLIG Shutdown FAQ

The ZMan:
    Please post any questions below and we'll get them answered.
    2. Does final payout require all tax forms and banking information to be set up?
    Payout will be through the normal XBLIG payment methods. So your tax information and electronic banking details will need to be in place and correct by the payout date. If you would like an accounting of the final amount in advance you can email creators@microsoft.com and they will let you know. You can then decided if the hassle it worth it for $3.50

Please make sure to update your account information as soon as possible to allow time to troubleshoot any issues we may see.  This also means that once your account is in order for payments and your game does reach the $150 minimum threshold before 2017 - you would actually get paid!  If you email creators@microsoft.com, please also provide the following information as it makes it that much easier to look up your account info:

Full Name
    Email address used to sign up for the XBLIG program
    XBLIG ID (for instance mine is Tygerladi)

IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO ACCESS YOUR DASHBOARD: You do need to have an active subscription to update your account. Please email XBLIG@microsoft.com for your free membership code so that you can do this. :)

Thank you,

Jessica
  • 9/11/2015 6:01 PM In reply to

Now that XB1 supports 360 BackCompat .... Will XBLIG be available on XB1 via this channel ?

???

• 9/11/2015 11:54 PM In reply to

ECHS BACHS:
    Now that XB1 supports 360 BackCompat .... Will XBLIG be available on XB1 via this channel ?

???

We do not know - see this thread for discussion.. There are certainly no XNA games on the announced list so far - even the XBLA ones like DishWasher

Even if back compat works that would only be for existing games - for the whole XBLIG process to work there would need to be a back end for submission etc which isn't happening given this announcement. 
  • 9/25/2015 7:51 PM In reply to

September 9th, 2016 is the deadline for what, exactly?  Passing peer review?  Submitting to peer review?  Or will all functions behind the "Premium membership" paywall (submission, peer review, XNA Game Studio Connect, etc.) simply cease to function after this date?

Or maybe this info isn't known yet.
  • 9/25/2015 8:17 PM In reply to

Assume everything in the submission process dies on that day. So if you want to release a game everything needs to be done by that date. Any extensions, delays, lateness etc on Microsoft's part will be a bonus and nobody should assume it will happen.

So just like DreamBuildPlay do NOT leave your games till the last minute. I would suggest being done 2 months before to allow for a couple of review passes to be safe.

As for Game Studio Connect on the Xbox - thats already in the FAQ and the answer is 'unknown at this time'
  • 5/25/2016 3:18 PM In reply to

I have a still going xblig membership created on 07.25.2015, right before the announcement.
    Why I cannot create a new project as in the announcement it's stated that current members can still submit games until 09.2016?
    (When I try to create project I get redirected to the announcement)
  • 5/26/2016 4:11 PM In reply to

See my reply to your other post.. if you had a 12 month PAID membership on that date then it should still be valid - check membership at https://account.microsoft.com/services

• 5/26/2016 5:18 PM In reply to

The ZMan:
    1. Will consumers be able to still play the games after the service shuts down in 2017
    Yes purchased games will continue to be downloadable and playable.

What about games that were never published?  I used this in the classroom teaching high school students for the last 6 years - it seems like I won't be able to play any of their games anymore on our development xbox which will mean years worth of work will be lost.  

Also, my App Hub membership ended today and I had no clue that the program was ending.  My students are in the final days of their projects and suddenly now they are unable to load their games onto the xbox.  How can I get my subscription (which now says "expired on 5/26") renewed till September so that they can finish the semester without losing all of their work?

Thanks for your help.
  • 5/26/2016 5:58 PM In reply to

DTHOMPSO:
    What about games that were never published?  I used this in the classroom teaching high school students for the last 6 years - it seems like I won't be able to play any of their games anymore on our development xbox which will mean years worth of work will be lost.  

This is scenario #6
    6. Will developers be able to use XNA Connect after the '16 and/or '17 shutdown to deploy locally to their Xbox 360?
    Unknown at this time***. However, XNA Connect does need a Creators Club membership and there will be no way to extend those after 2017 unless Microsoft change something.

After E3 happens I'll try to find an answer from the team.

Do you only have .ccgame files for all of those games or do you have source code? If you have source code then unless they use avatars or Xbox specific shaders you should be able to rebuild them all and run on PC - or port to MonoGame.

If you only have compiled xbox .ccgame then the answer is that we don't know.
  • 8/8/2016 10:20 PM In reply to

I assume there is probably no updated information on the answers to questions 4-7. yes?  We're probably just going to have to "wait and see?"

I'll add one more question: any idea as to whether the forums are going to remain open through the 2017 shutdown?
  • 8/8/2016 11:04 PM In reply to

I believe an email should have gone out or be going out - I will check.

The forums will remain open through the 2017 shut down.

• 8/8/2016 11:12 PM In reply to

My guess at the rest

. Will XBLIG games be playable on Xbox One through the backwards compatibility 
    Unknown - see discussion here. This would only be fore existing games purchased even if it does work. Back compat would not give a continued publishing process nor would it replace the indie games store.

Zmans guess - NOPE. If this was going to happen we would have seen something by now I think.

5. Will developers be able to change the price of their game between the '16 and '17 shutdown?
    Unknown at this time***. Will revisit before the '16 shutdown.

Zmans guess - NOPE. I think all of the game creation/edit UI will be removed. You will still be able to access the financial stuff for payemtns.

Zmans guess - Maybe. I don't think anything is being done to specicifally turn it off but if it doesn't work theres's nobody to fix it

7. September 9th, 2016 is the deadline for what, exactly?  Passing peer review?  Submitting to peer review?  Or will all functions behind the "Premium membership" paywall (submission, peer review) simply cease to function after this date?

Zmans guess - Thats the drop dead date. On that date nobody will be able to submit, review or do anything. If your game is not published you are out of luck.  Do NOT procrastinate this.
  • 8/8/2016 11:33 PM In reply to

Heres the email that will be going out

Not much more details.

My advice is to assume the worst. I have been assured that the forums and website are not going anywhere though.

• 5/6/2017 10:59 AM In reply to

Just been doing my monthly sales spreadsheet and I was thinking that that a whole bunch of us are still shipping a significant number of units per month, is there any chance of an extension on the September 17 shut off?

Sales seem to have stayed fairly steady and perhaps they could re-consider the shut off date? It's their 30% that's getting thrown away too.

• 5/15/2017 3:52 AM In reply to

No one here is going to be able to answer that. Keep an eye on the official MS sites. Don't hold you breath though. With the ID@Xbox and other developer options it's doubtful they'll keep this alive.
  • 6/20/2017 10:36 PM In reply to

Provided that things are actually still getting shut down in September...

I was curious if any info was available on the following:

1) Do we know of an exact date?  So far we only know "September" and we can't go by last year, because it appears that no shutdown of anything actually occurred.  It was more of a "soft" shutdown, you could say...
    2) Many of us still have prepaid Marketplace codes for our games.  Will those work after the games are delisted?  I guess what I'm really asking is whether prepaid codes still work for delisted items, XBLIG or not.  If I had any I could try, I would.

Thanks!
  • 6/22/2017 11:53 AM In reply to

Is the XBLIG email even monitored anymore? I've sent emails months ago and still no response. I need to get my bank details updated in order to get paid, but the site just isn't working. Thanks,
  • 7/28/2017 7:36 PM In reply to

We've got the same problem. Need to provide personal details and tax information but the link on https://profile.create.msdn.com/en-US/mybusiness.aspx just redirects to the creators club homepage. No response to e-mail either. Does anyone have an idea what to do?

Best regards,
    Kai
  • 7/28/2017 8:52 PM In reply to

yyrGames:

2) Many of us still have prepaid Marketplace codes for our games.  Will those work after the games are delisted?  I guess what I'm really asking is whether prepaid codes still work for delisted items, XBLIG or not.  If I had any I could try, I would.

I am also very curious about this as well, if anyone has even a good guess please let us know!
Page 1 of 1 (20 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion