Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (6 posts)

How can I make new content available to players?

Last post 11/18/2012 7:02 PM by Bang Bang Attack Studios. 5 replies.
  • 11/18/2012 4:28 AM

How can I make new content available to players?

I searched the net and here, and I haven't come up with any definitive answers, so maybe someone who has experience can shed some light on the subject.

Say I've got a finished game that a player buys on XBLIG. 
    How can I make new content (levels, add-ons, etc..) available as DLC (additional purchases) or patch the game if there are bugs, etc... ?

• 11/18/2012 4:36 AM In reply to

Re: How can I make new content available to players?

Games are released after peer review. You can put a game back into peer review with the updates. The game will update once the player plays the game again. DLC and other stuff cannot be sold separately.

Hope that helps.
  • 11/18/2012 4:37 AM In reply to

Answer
    Reply Quote
    For bugs you simply rerelease the game - put the new content in your game, put it through peer review again and the magic of Xbox does the rest.

Current players will get the 'This title has an upgrade' dialog and it will auto patch

New people will simply get the new version.

Note that XBLIG do not get the option to make the upgrade mandatory - so for whatever reason some people could stay on an old version. This is really only relevant if you have a network game where you need to be concerned about new and old versions meeting.

There is no DLC for XBLIG. That's reserved for XBLA titles so you need a publishing contract.
  • 11/18/2012 5:02 AM In reply to

Okay, so I will need XBLA for what I want to do. Alright, thanks.
  • 11/18/2012 4:17 PM In reply to

Yes though unless you are a) very wealthy or b) very well known in the industry and have connections and a portfolio of previous games you don't simple choose XBLA over XBLIG.

Its an old FAQ but its still essentially true http://xboxforums.create.msdn.com/forums/t/3290.aspx
  • 11/18/2012 7:02 PM In reply to

Yeah, I am aware of that fact. Thanks though. I wish I had seen that last line on that page, detailing the DLC being made available by the XDK, I could have saved my time and not written this thread.
    I'm just trying to get information at this point, so that I know what I need to get lined up for the future. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond.
Page 1 of 1 (6 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion