Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (8 posts)

Publishing/building a game to use an installer other than the ClickOnce one?

Last post 11/11/2012 11:03 PM by Gamerstorm. 7 replies.
  • 11/9/2012 8:19 PM

Publishing/building a game to use an installer other than the ClickOnce one?

Once my game is finished, I don't want it to be published and installed using the ClockOnce installer, because that would mean requiring an internet connection to install it, and to run it, and I want people to be able to play the game without it. I'm fine with manually downloading prerequisites and putting them into an installer, if possible.
    I also want to put the installer in multiple languages as well, maybe games have multiple installers for each language, but one of the languages I'm putting the game in (Scots) isn't available to choose as a installer language, meaning I'd have to manually translate it myself.

I want to use ClickTeam's install creator, as with that, you can edit the text of the installer and all it does it install a game .exe, and once clicked, it runs, making it perfect for my needs.

I've looked it up, and apparently, it's possible to do this.
    I've followed instructions on the msdn page.

It mentioned clicking on the build menu and clicking on "build solution", I enabled the build icons on the I clicked on that, and nothing happened, no files appeared where they should. (bin\x86\release)

So what do I do?

If it makes any difference at all, I'm using Visual C# 2010
  • 11/9/2012 8:34 PM In reply to

Re: Publishing/building a game to use an installer other than the ClickOnce one?

Did you switch to a Release configuration from a Debug configuration?
  • 11/9/2012 8:52 PM In reply to

Re: Publishing/building a game to use an installer other than the ClickOnce one?

Bob Taco Industries:
    Did you switch to a Release configuration from a Debug configuration?

How do I do that?
  • 11/9/2012 11:41 PM In reply to

In the Build menu, choose Configuration Manager then change the Active Solution Configuration. (Typically there's a drop down in the standard toolbar in Visual Studio that lets you switch quickly, but you might have closed that toolbar or removed the dropdown; as long as you change it in one place or the other it's fine).
  • 11/10/2012 12:55 AM In reply to

Bob Taco Industries:
    In the Build menu, choose Configuration Manager then change the Active Solution Configuration. (Typically there's a drop down in the standard toolbar in Visual Studio that lets you switch quickly, but you might have closed that toolbar or removed the dropdown; as long as you change it in one place or the other it's fine).

I don't see the option on the toolbar dropdown menu (all there is, is the option to add buttons), nor am I seeing it on the build tab in properties. I remember a build menu being mentioned when I was looking this up, is it meant to be on the menu bar? If so, I'm not seeing a "build" menu there...
  • 11/11/2012 11:21 AM In reply to

Bob Taco Industries:
    Typically there's a drop down in the standard toolbar in Visual Studio that lets you switch quickly, but you might have closed that toolbar or removed the dropdown.

Well, I can't see it anywhere, so I might have done it by accident, how do I get it back?
  • 11/11/2012 10:08 PM In reply to

Answer
    Reply Quote
    I haven't been near my computer that has VC# 2010 Express installed on it in several days. If you don't see anything like that it's probably because the IDE is set to be in beginner mode (I forget the exact terminology used). Somewhere either in the menus or else in Tools->Options there should be a setting for something like "show advanced options" (that's not the exact text, I don't think). Find that and make sure it's set to show you the advanced settings and whatnot. You should then see the configuration mode.

For the toolbar, right click in an empty area up where the menu is; this should show you a list of toolbars you can show. Make sure that "Standard" is selected. If it already is selected, then locate it (if you aren't sure which one it is, then unselect it (so that it disappears) and then reselect it to bring it back). At the right side of the toolbar should be a thin strip with a down arrow. It may say something like "Standard Toolbar Options" when you hover over it. Click that, hover the mouse over "Add or Remove Buttons" and make sure that "Solution Configurations" has a check next to it (if not, click it).
  • 11/11/2012 11:03 PM In reply to

Bob Taco Industries:
    I haven't been near my computer that has VC# 2010 Express installed on it in several days. If you don't see anything like that it's probably because the IDE is set to be in beginner mode (I forget the exact terminology used). Somewhere either in the menus or else in Tools->Options there should be a setting for something like "show advanced options" (that's not the exact text, I don't think). Find that and make sure it's set to show you the advanced settings and whatnot. You should then see the configuration mode.

For the toolbar, right click in an empty area up where the menu is; this should show you a list of toolbars you can show. Make sure that "Standard" is selected. If it already is selected, then locate it (if you aren't sure which one it is, then unselect it (so that it disappears) and then reselect it to bring it back). At the right side of the toolbar should be a thin strip with a down arrow. It may say something like "Standard Toolbar Options" when you hover over it. Click that, hover the mouse over "Add or Remove Buttons" and make sure that "Solution Configurations" has a check next to it (if not, click it).

It worked! Thank you so much!

It was in Tools > Settings > then it had "Basic" and "Advanced" modes, I ticked advanced, and the option was there, and the built exe worked!
Page 1 of 1 (8 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion