Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Sort Discussions: Previous Discussion Next Discussion
Page 1 of 1 (15 posts)

how to do cutscenes in a sunburn engine?

Last post 8/8/2012 3:59 PM by jeffery carlson. 14 replies.
  • 3/4/2012 8:46 PM

how to do cutscenes in a sunburn engine?

I was wondering does anyone know how how to do cutscenes in the sunburn engine mostly video only formats but a plus if you know how to do interactive cutscene where you can look around in 3D format.  I just want to in-between certain levels insert cutscenes it seems like this is one of the other things I saw and got stuck and was wondering if anyone knew how to do this or had an add-on for the editor to do this.

I have the 2.0.18 sunburn engine version.

• 3/12/2012 10:42 PM In reply to

Re: how to do cutscenes in a sunburn engine?

Hi Jeffery,

I had the same issue.  Creating cutscenes manually via code is so tedious!  That's why I'm working on this product....

It will be a commercial product (I can't live off air alone - LOL!) but I aim to make it very reasonably priced because I know as an indie dev myself that high cost can be a real obstacle.

• 3/12/2012 10:50 PM In reply to

As long as its 30-50 dollar you have your first customer but if its more I will look it over first. But Im working on finding a kinect 3d importer too so i can just make a scene in 3d and then edit it to look better and apply colors as necessary.
  • 3/12/2012 10:53 PM In reply to

Never mind not what im looking for I just want to play a video in the game does anyone know how to add a video like wmv, mpej, or compatible video types to a sunburn project?
  • 3/22/2012 12:04 PM In reply to

Im wanting to play a video whenever a person collides with a object thats invisible but used to trigger the video fullscreen. For example, run off the cliff in the light mapping example but i go through an invisible box which starts the full screen video.
  • 3/22/2012 1:08 PM In reply to

greedy goblin can i test your program I have sunburn indie but will be working on an in-game editor with ai-placement for in-game campaign scenarios and implementing yours inside an xna game would be great and if i make anything reasonable off the game i will send you some money (if i make more then $300 dollars ill make sure to send you at least some donation of money greater then $40 dollars)
    When i start making the big bucks (600 or more a yeat i will send you money in 10-15 dollar increments each month for the year or we work something out as i go along).
    Please note im going through all the sunburn tutorials before this happens but I wont talk about the ai placement idea openly (so you can have something to offer people that are pros and get peoples mouths watering because your scripting engine pro version supports it) because theirs a few different ways it can be done.
    If i create the in-game editor first then I can create the ai placement helper/component to use inside of sunburn. Maybe we can build an add-on for extras inside the sunburn editor like modifying the ai properties.
    It looks like with a little more practice coding in sunburn i can implement my editor in sunburn because im learning fast but still have a while to go! Im sure if i can learn how to do the kinect i can use xna and sunburn. im still working on a video trigger so if you can help me modify the light mapping example to trigger a full screen video when i jump off the cliff at the end towards the light when you go outside the door i will be excited! 
    heres my email: jefferycarlson@gmail.com
    i have a sunburn username: jeffman
    I'll take you up on your testing offer you posted on sunburn's website just send me a copy of the source or we talk and i can make sure after i start making so much a year i send you an amount based on what im making (continual paycheck like 10-15 dollars a month after after a certain money threshold maybe after $300 dollar mark).
  • 3/22/2012 8:21 PM In reply to

Hi jeffman.

I probably should have explained a bit better on the SunBurn website about my Visual Scripting Framework.  Unfortunately you won't be able to use it on XBox or WP7 since I use WinForms for the editor window.  Basically it works in a similar way to SunBurn; you create your scripts in the editor on Windows at build/design time, then add them to your game's content project and load them via the content pipeline (Content.Load<Script>("scriptasset") for example).

There is a separate redistribution assembly which you would package with your finished game (again similiar to SunBurn).

Also, you would not be allowed to use it in your own commercial or open-source editor I'm afraid since you would need to purchase a license for everyone that used it.

Sorry if it doesn't really fit your needs, but if you are still interested I'll send you a copy of the beta version when it's ready.

Oh and I'll look into creating a "Video" script element for it too!  :)

• 3/22/2012 8:52 PM In reply to

If you can please port code over to the xbox 360 and windows phone 7. I wish to place your scripts into windows phone and xbox 360 projects of mine too! Also, if you use the light mapping example you could figure out how to use the script component on xbox 360 and windows phone. But please tell me if you make a distributable version because thats the point of using something and windows would be easy anyways to script and  their are plenty of windows xna scripting tools that why i said xbox 360 and windows phone. But a ful scripting environment for windows and xbox 360. 
    Isn't their anyway that could be worked out so i could use it with xbox 360 and windows phone projects? I really wish to use xbox 360 and windows phone for deployment platforms because windows platform has too many games on it anyways but I might distribute to windows also.

I will be sure to tell you problems but be sure to work out something for xbox 360 and windows phone 7 because for my commerial product i plan on doing this and it would be a big disapppointment.
    BTW, is this scripting engine available for me to pay some flat fee or something or a volume license version for xbox 360  and windows phone perhaps that will allow you to steer out of any legal trouble if someones funding you because that's used in most newer apps is a special volume license.

This seems counter productive to me but if we can work something out for commerical usage in my games tell me and my offical email is: jefferycarlson@gmail.com and I know what you mean about indies but most indies want xbox 360 and windows phone 7 not  just windows (some do).

If overheads too high i might create a seperate library for the editor on the xbox 360 and windows phone.

I will beta test please send me a copy at email above. Just make sure in future versions to support windows phone 7 and xbox 360. I could even if you work something out for my in-game editor idea may be able to hide your code if deployed to xbox 360 and windows phone 7 for security purposes. I have written code that is invisible before or I could make the editor backend code put into dll files after I get basics done that way its not seen to the public (make open source initially for people to contribute to then turn into closed source dll library).

If I go pro later like i said you can make big money out of this or you could sell the editor dlls for money if you wish too for partnering up. I will see you later.
  • 3/22/2012 10:01 PM In reply to

Hi jeffman.  It seems I'm not doing a very good job of explaining (I keep missing things out).  ;-)

Once a script has been added to the content pipeline it can be deployed onto XBox and WP7 no problem.  The restriction is that you can't use the script editor on Xbox and WP7.  The license would be similar to the SunBurn license for example, you need a license to use the SDK but can freely distribute the redistributable assembly with your game.  But like SunBurn, you cannot redistribute the SDK assembly (which includes the editor).

I hope that explains things a bit better.  Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks for the interest and I'll let you know when I'm ready for beta testing.
  • 3/22/2012 10:09 PM In reply to

Thanks i know that but i didnt actually want the editor on the xbox/windows phone but use the scripts created with the editor in code behind the scenes and have a drag and drop type editor like in halo for making custom games! But the windows version for development purposes will have the windowed version.
    I hope i didnt confuse you but no for the end-user interface i didnt want that on the xbox i was talking about a custom game map/scenario editor for custom games by the end user.
    But i want a interface similar to the kudo one but like an fps in-game map editor where you can add players also.
    I want to push the limits though and place an ai for custom xbox 360 and windows phone fps campaign map editing for the end user does it sound interesing?

So im just wanting to use the actual script object not the editor interface/program which create the scripts on the xbox 360 and windows phone like a normal sunburn project will that work? In other words use the engine not the editor/program that created the script on the xbox 360 and windows phone just like i cant use the sunburn editor on the xbox 360 i only use your scripting components not the actual editor on xbox 360 and windows phone 7.
  • 3/23/2012 6:30 PM In reply to

Do you have a sample script i can try for sunburn 2.0.18 and above that would play a video that was in my content cache.
  • 3/23/2012 9:17 PM In reply to

jeffery carlson:
    Do you have a sample script i can try for sunburn 2.0.18 and above that would play a video that was in my content cache.
    Not as yet.  But I'm working on it.  No guarantees though.
  • 3/25/2012 8:21 PM In reply to

greedy goblin it appears that i cant upload the code as a sample but have it built. This is because its 31 MB's and it needs to be 24 mb's.
    I think i might remove the video or replace with a smaller one but you need to put a video named video.wmv in the content manually in visual studio before compile if i upload the sample code but still working on windows phone 7 but your free to work around and change as you like and add to visual scripting program (just make sure to give me credit please but some of it is a change from microsofts code).

P.S. can I use you visual scripting code inside my game (not the editor but the load content parts and parts that allow me to load your scripts and use them in game similar to loading video content).

Can you post some basic commands so I can get familiar with your interface for your visual scripting plug-ins?
    Also, code for in-game that would be legal to use? I will post the tutorial after a find a smaller video to use (less then 20 mb)
  • 8/2/2012 10:04 AM In reply to

Answer
    Reply Quote
    If anyone is interested, the trial version of the Visual Scripting Framework is now available at...

With the full version to follow very soon!

• 8/8/2012 3:59 PM In reply to

I will mark your link as answer since the forums on the sunburn website my qustion is already answered. Your program is great though I have the older libraries in my xna project but will probably need to update them right? Will be using it to help me with 3d cutscenes.
Page 1 of 1 (15 posts) Previous Discussion Next Discussion